ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best handling mods for my new 182?

Clio 182
I've recently bought a 2004 Clio 182 and I'm looking to do some track days & hill climbing in it but I want to do a few handling tweaks to make sure i get the best out of it on track. I've been told by various people to go for new bushes and front/rear strut braces but not sure what to get first and which brands are best despite searching various forums and website shops. The only mods it has already is a straight through milltek exhaust and some kind of coilovers or springs as it's been lowered a good 40/50mm or so. Thanks for any help in advance.

172 Turbo
I called Renault and ordered new everything, bushes, wishbones, track rods, TR ends, etc.
Set of B14s, whiteline and it's a cracking road car.

I don't get the urge for polybush, it's not like these cars handled badly from the factory!

Btw, the rear strut brace doesn't do anything and the only front one which improves anything is the PMS one with PMS top mounts.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
^ Thinking of doing the same, do you have a list of parts and part number to complete such a refresh ?

I'd be looking at BC coilovers over the Bilsteins as the latter are meant to be a bit soft for a dedicated track car, plus the BC's come with the option of solid camber adjustable top mounts.

compare springrate of a BC to The B14........which one is softer?
With the BC's you can choose between 4-8kg front/8kg rear or have them custom made to your preference. B14's are a road/track coilover so presume they would be softer, don't they use Eibach/H&R springs?

Last edited:
After a bit of reading looks like the b14's are 400lb front/285lb rear which equates to 7.1kg front/5kg rear.

"Bilstein coilover kits are tuned for road use with softer rear springs to keep good traction and stability even in poor conditions"

So the bilsteins will have move weight transfer to the front outside tyre compared to the BC's. So less front grip and more rear grip.

Listerine & Poledo
I'd be looking to take it to track first, then assess what needs doing off of the back of that.

The likelihood is that parts would only need changing out for new OEM parts to make an 11yr old renault feel a good sight better.

Otherwise you're going to just start pissing money like shelling peas, and with no base line to go from, you may only make things worse

Last edited:
  172 Turbo
^ Thinking of doing the same, do you have a list of parts and part number to complete such a refresh ?
Sorry, I don't. I just called Renault Wolverhampton and rattled off the parts I wanted, think from memory it was wishbones, arb bushes, top mounts, modified spacers.

I did go cheap on the track rods & TREs and they came from www.carparts4less.

I did fit a Powerflex steering rack kit, however, I wish I'd gone Renault for that as their kit includes the new fittings.

I'm in Flitwick, if you want to come over and take it out for a drive?

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Sorry, I don't. I just called Renault Wolverhampton and rattled off the parts I wanted, think from memory it was wishbones, arb bushes, top mounts, modified spacers.

I did go cheap on the track rods & TREs and they came from www.carparts4less.

I did fit a Powerflex steering rack kit, however, I wish I'd gone Renault for that as their kit includes the new fittings.

I'm in Flitwick, if you want to come over and take it out for a drive?
I'd take you up on the offer, but back in Oz now ;)

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi guys

I've not had the Clio long and being in lockdown in Wales and unable to travel more than 5 miles has meant I've not had much of a chance to open the car up.

I'm happy with the power so although I'd like the Group N timing done, I'd rather focus on improving the brakes and handling in the future. I've done some reading and I've listed some modifications that I think would improve my 182. It's mainly a road car but I'm hoping to get the occasional trackday in too in the future.

Would the following mods be a tad overkill for a road car? I know pads and new rear shocks would probably be a good place to start. It's a FF Clio 182 with both cup packs I believe, so from my understanding I'd need replacement Cup shocks, is that correct?

Thanks

Marc

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good thread revival!
I'd also have a good look at the wishbones, track rod ends, ARB and steering rack bushes, plus engine mounts. If they've not been done recently they'll be around 15 years old and the car will feel a lot tighter for some new bits.
And then some new brake fluid, power steering fluid, braided brake hoses, front strut brace, rear ARB, LSD, recaro seats, and a nice steering wheel.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I need to have a sit in a car with these fitted. I've got a PhilipM dogbone, but the other mounts are new OEM and the car is fairly buzzy as it is.

They make the dogbone almost irrelevant, because there's barely any movement for the dog bone to minimise.

If fitted correctly, you barely notice them at idle. By far the best thing I did to my Clio, transformed the drive.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks very much guys, definitely some things to look at. I'm not overly keen on uprating bushes from OEM but a few here and there might help. Didn't cross my mind about the engine mounts. It's a low mileage Clio and it feels extremely tight as it is, it's been well looked after and it does have the dog bone mount on it already but apart from that, it's pretty much standard. Just want to tighten the handling up a little.

I'm off next week and the 5 mile rule in Wales ends as of Monday, so I'm hoping to get it on some decent roads and get a feel for the car.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Have just fitted Camber bolts on front to add 1.75 neg camber, and whilst Ive only done 100 or so kmies, feels a lot better front end cornering and throwing it about, and even a bit skittish cos of slightly less grip straight on. Loving them so far, but only time will tell on tyre wear, and how it is in the wet.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sounds good mate, I don't think I've ever ran adjustable camber bolts on any car I've owned. Only downside is like you said, it can make the car skittish in a straight line can't it? Upside is you have sharper turn in. Camber bolts and solid top mounts are a must for me in the future, will get VTEC Direct to set the car up I reckon as they've done a few setups in Clio's.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
First time Ive had adjustable camber bolts. will get them set up exactly just before next track day- and its Lydden Hill with more turns than straights- kills front tyres in an hour/

I quite like the skittish grip at front altho pulling the way from the lights sharply can be kinda "youthful" as it can squeal a bit. lol

Fun tho

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've been surprised at how much adjustability these Clio's have suspension wise. I've come from a Type R which had a fair few options for adjusting suspension, camber, caster etc but the Clio Renaultsport models seem to have as much adjustability if not more.
Caster/Camber shims, adjustable toe camber kits, plenty out there.

Last edited: