ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best ITB's?

Ph 2 172
Hi all

Had my Ph2 172 now for a while and I want more power. Ive decided to keep the engine na and go down the ITB route. From experience, which company offers the best ITB setup? For both increased power and torque.

Cheers

R26
If it was my money i would go to 519 automotive.

I can't comment on itbs from experience though.

Ph 2 172
If it was my money i would go to 519 automotive.

I can't comment on itbs from experience though.

Any idea what sort of £ they charge for a kit fitted? Not really heard much about them. Heard good things from TDF, but just want people opinions before i commit to buy anything lol

Evo 5 RS
Hi all

Had my Ph2 172 now for a while and I want more power. Ive decided to keep the engine na and go down the ITB route. From experience, which company offers the best ITB setup? For both increased power and torque.

Cheers

Only route to take tbh.. :D

The AT body setup offered by TDF (Track Group) is good value for money - K-Tecs kit is Jenvey so don't bother ordering the trinkets from Jenvey direct and get them from K-Tec as it works out more expensive otherwise. (if you sway that way)

Most importan thing with ITBs besides mapping is a decent filter solution, anything foam that doens't have a backing plate is normally a bit pants. Without starting a debate and going purely on what experience I had; stay the hell away from K-Tec if you are not going to install the kit yourself. I'm still trying to sort my loom out from over a year ago where they had bodged it and taped it together under my inlet.

TDF would be my point of call. Great service and don't half arse anything at all.

With regarding performance the AT kit is both DTH and has the shorter trumpets meaning you'll be able to fit a nice filter solution in there or if you're feeling fancy the carbon airbox Track Group supply with the kit (same as the burpspeed tintops car)

figures and drive wise, theres little in it between the kits, just make sure your engines healthy before you jump in.

Last edited:
  Ph 2 172

The AT body setup offered by TDF (Track Group) is good value for money - K-Tecs kit is Jenvey so don't bother ordering the trinkets from Jenvey direct and get them from K-Tec as it works out more expensive otherwise. (if you sway that way)

Most importan thing with ITBs besides mapping is a decent filter solution, anything foam that doens't have a backing plate is normally a bit pants. Without starting a debate and going purely on what experience I had; stay the hell away from K-Tec if you are not going to install the kit yourself. I'm still trying to sort my loom out from over a year ago where they had bodged it and taped it together under my inlet.

TDF would be my point of call. Great service and don't half arse anything at all.

With regarding performance the AT kit is both DTH and has the shorter trumpets meaning you'll be able to fit a nice filter solution in there or if you're feeling fancy the carbon airbox Track Group supply with the kit (same as the burpspeed tintops car)

figures and drive wise, theres little in it between the kits, just make sure your engines healthy before you jump in.

Cheers mate! Ive heard lots of good things about TDF so they have always been up there in my mind. Its not gonna be for a couple of months or so anyway as i need to sort my engine out first. Few minor oil leaks and its in need of a good service. Going to get it booked into Birchdown as soon as possible to get the engine fixed up. You recommend doing any other prep to the engine before getting the ITB's fitted?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
if your lucky steves at Birchdown might be done, sure he'd let you have a nose around it

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Steve & Andy have done the oily bits, cams, bolting it all together etc

I'm on the EC1 tonight, we *might* have some life out of it fingers crossed! (maybe) or worst case, fire :(

errrr......quite a bit.

Fully stripped with cage.
Buckets and harnesses
AST coilovers

....to name a few.

It's FAR from standard but it that way ;)

Ph 2 172
Steve & Andy have done the oily bits, cams, bolting it all together etc

I'm on the EC1 tonight, we *might* have some life out of it fingers crossed! (maybe) or worst case, fire :(

Fingers crossed! Wouldnt be great if it all ends in a puff of smoke! Lol

Evo 5 RS
Cheers mate! Ive heard lots of good things about TDF so they have always been up there in my mind. Its not gonna be for a couple of months or so anyway as i need to sort my engine out first. Few minor oil leaks and its in need of a good service. Going to get it booked into Birchdown as soon as possible to get the engine fixed up. You recommend doing any other prep to the engine before getting the ITB's fitted?

Cams, cup setup (i.e no aircon) internally bar that, standard. Easier that way if anything goes bang, chop and swap. It's at BTM at the moment as the engine in the picture was
quite ill

When it's well it should be good for roughly 210bhp
Jenveys on mine with Omex 600 management (TDF map)

Last edited:
  Ph 2 172
Cams, cup setup (i.e no aircon) internally bar that, standard. Easier that way if anything goes bang, chop and swap. It's at BTM at the moment as the engine in the picture was
quite ill

When it's well it should be good for roughly 210bhp
Jenveys on mine with Omex 600 management (TDF map)

So did you get your ITB's supplied and fitted at TDF? 210bhp is a nice figure, I would be happy with that! So you would recommend getting air con removed? as ive still got it on mine.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
...just make sure your engines healthy before you jump in.
^ This - most definitely. Otherwise you are looking at a frikked engine and an expensive bill :(

Speaking from experience I love the ITB's. I got the Jenvey-based kit from K-Tec but got the resulting repairs and mapping re-done at TDF. I'm still running aircon, standard cams and the sh!tty foam filter with NO backplate and I managed 200bhp on the TDF dyno to give you some indication. The stronger your base engine the better.

Got some vids somewhere if you need convincing about the sound :D

Ph 2 172
^ This - most definitely. Otherwise you are looking at a frikked engine and an expensive bill :(

Speaking from experience I love the ITB's. I got the Jenvey-based kit from K-Tec but got the resulting repairs and mapping re-done at TDF. I'm still running aircon, standard cams and the sh!tty foam filter with NO backplate and I managed 200bhp on the TDF dyno to give you some indication. The stronger your base engine the better.

Got some vids somewhere if you need convincing about the sound :D

So just a big service and make sure the engine is as good as it can be before i get them fitted? 200bhp with just ITB's is spot on! Pretty much what im looking for. Is there a big difference in throttle response? And can you feel the difference in power from standard?

Haha ive already been convinced, the noise is just awesome!! :D

53 Clio's & counting
Difference in power is night and day - pick up is instant and at any revs (IF you have a good mapper) and its honestly awesome.TDF's kit is well priced and one of the best mappers too

Evo 5 RS
So did you get your ITB's supplied and fitted at TDF? 210bhp is a nice figure, I would be happy with that! So you would recommend getting air con removed? as ive still got it on mine.

No, long story :) Just go to TDF .. trust me!

210bhp is a humble guestimate of what you should be seeing with 428 cat cams and itbs on a setup with no aircon, you could see more though. Generally speaking throttle bodies on their own will get you between 195 and 205bhp and 160-165ftlbs of torque

172 Race Car

210bhp is a humble guestimate of what you should be seeing with 428 cat cams and itbs on a setup with no aircon, you could see more though. Generally speaking throttle bodies on their own will get you between 195 and 205bhp and 160-165ftlbs of torque
Ours is stock (slightly tired) internals, no a/c. It was 198bhp and 168lbf. There was more in there but the alternator had died. At one point we did see 171lbf. I think the carbon box has something to do with that

Ours is stock (slightly tired) internals, no a/c. It was 198bhp and 168lbf. There was more in there but the alternator had died. At one point we did see 171lbf. I think the carbon box has something to do with that
Does the carbon airbox make much difference compared with standard solid back plate?

Ph 2 172

Haha fair enough! I will be paying them a visit quite soon i should think. Just emailed birchdown to see when they can get me in for a service so will he after that!

Anywhere around the 200bhp mark and im happy!

Ph 2 172
Do the guys at TDF offer an option with regards to having a carbon airbox rather than a normal filter?

Much difference between the two?

172 Race Car
img00100-20110316-1918.jpg

shapeimage_2.png

inferno 182.
this is good advice! different engine but i had my zetec throttle bodied and they ran the vacum from my servo and bodged the loom! jevey are good and the vacume should come from the manifold and make sure its fitted with a proper loom so if you send it to example rstuner he knows what has been done so it can be mapped!!!
dont like to say this but you pay for what you get!!!