ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Nikon Wideangle Lens

Off to the States in a few months and am thinking of getting a wide angle lens while there, anyone recommend one? Probably looking around the £500 mark.

Cupra
The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 has just been released. I am seriously looking at that instead of the other offerings. It is only available for Canon & Nikon and is getting some good reviews. Might be worth a check if you dont need the 16-20?

Save your money and get the Sigma 10-20, only the most obsessive pixel peeper would see any difference between that and the Nikon 12-24...and those 2mm you would lose with the Nikon really do make a suprising difference when you get this wide.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I am going to purchase the Sigma 10-20 soon.

One question, I know the D40 needs AF-S lenses to auto focus, but lets say I had a D80 instead, what would be the benefits in terms of lenses.

I want a wideangle, a 70-200 or 300mm and maybe a 50mm fixed.

Would I be able to save a decent bit of cash buying lenses for a D80 rather than a D40?

Cheers

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
you might not even notice the difference of between 2 photos, same lens, taken with the d40 and d80. The d80 however is far more capable, more features, and has the all important (for me) autofocus motor. This mean that if you buy a 50mm f1.8 for example, it will autofocus with the D80 and not the D40. Also opens up a much wider (and cheaper) range of lens.

Rally bus
Would I be able to save a decent bit of cash buying lenses for a D80 rather than a D40?

You won't save money buying lenses for a D80 as they are the same lenses as you'd buy for a D40. The main advantage in lens terms with buying a D80 is that you can use AF with such as the 50mm f1.8.

And another vote for Sigma 10-20 for a wide-angle lens.

Revels Mum & Sister
Having the small LCD screen on top is mighty handy as well. Also Its a bit more weighty which I really like.