ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best set up for hill climbing, slalom and track races?

Mat

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
What is the best car/wheel alignment for hill climbing, track and slalom hobby races?

What about toe? And camber: I have HR asymmetrical bolts in front Mc Pherson´s and I can adjust front camber up to -3 degree. Rear camber up to – 2 degree as well - but what is the best solution?

Should I use my original 15x7 wheels or go for some 16”?

Any ideas how to set up my adjustable yellow Koni´s shocks: full stiff front and full soft rear´s?

Thank for any ideas!

Mat

-1.5deg on the front is a good road setup.

I think Andy, who runs a tuning company called GDI, runs -2.5 deg may even be -3deg for track use.

He is on this site alot so will no doubt post a reply to this.

I am not sure if I have seen anyone who has adjustable rear camber on this site. Yozza, another user, may have this on his track car.

well, i have changed my 172 ph2 setup from toe in allround to -0.5deg toe out on rear and 0deg front (thats CUP standard setup), furthermore i increased camber front -2.5deg, rear -2deg

the car is transformed and i gained 2 seconds a lap on our track here in Slovenia

I believe that for best handling on track you can add even more toe out on rear axle and even try running toe out on front

I hardly wait to test some more in springtime, cause it makes the difference

cheers

Mat

Thanx! What si your experiance with rear toe out. My another car is Mazda MX-5 (Miata) and I used to gou with front tou slighly out and rear toe in.

Dont you think that rear toe out will not cause oversteering? This is my experiance with MX-5, but its totaly different car.

BtW. dou you have original wheel alignment for Clio Cup?

Mat

you've name a high, medium and slow course layout.....your setups are going to differ significatly for each one.

on reardrive cars toe out at back is completely out of question! masive oversteer
they usually drive with toe-in back and toe-out front

Factory setup 172CUP: (1degree has 60minutes so 0.5deg is 30min)
front:
0deg +/-10min toe; -0.5deg +/-0.5deg camber
rear:
-0.5deg +/-10min toe out; -1.5deg +/-20min camber

When I changed stock suspension to H&R coilovers, the car started to understeer badly, then i found out about CUP alignment and when changed it felt great. Much more neutral handling, oversteer on demand and less steering wheel travel. Awesome, but have to admit that without ESP I would be afraid to push hard in slippery conditions on road.
On track I will probably try even more toe out at back!

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
My Trophy has been delivered with front 30' negative camber, 10' toe out and rear 1.30' negative and 20' toe in
The Challenge cars run 3.40' negative front and zero toe +/- 10' and rear 3.30 negative and 20' toe in.

As I shall be sprinting and hill climbing it next year (my wife's MX5 this year which needed more and more negative at the front) I suspect that it will also need more negative at the front (as was mentioned above GDI recommend 2- 2.30' and toe-out of 20') and less toe-in at the rear. Running toe out at the rear can be very nasty as some cars will not stay in a straight line - a bad idea when racing in close proximity. The Challenge cars use shims to adjust rear camber and toe.
The other problem is getting the right track tyres as on 16's the choice is very limited, only Kumho and Hankook at present.

Mat

Thank for that Izibizi,

would you like to send me your full set up. What is the bets tire size for hillclimbing and track? Original 195x50x15 or 205x45x16?

Do you have any other modifications eg. short gear box, fats steering, limited slip diff.?

I´m just building a car for next season:D .

Mat

Mat said:
Thank for that Izibizi,

would you like to send me your full set up. What is the bets tire size for hillclimbing and track? Original 195x50x15 or 205x45x16?

Do you have any other modifications eg. short gear box, fats steering, limited slip diff.?

I´m just building a car for next season:D .

Mat

15" wheels are a must IMHO, you wont find any decent tyres in 16"