ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best set up with RS2

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've been tempted by the low boost kits on offer, but i've decided i'm going to stick with the RS2. Partly due to the cost and partly due to the issues several people have had (I know several have had no issues or only minor, etc). I also figured i'd just be better off buying a faster car if i wanted bigger power. Plus i quite like N/A and having the power at the top end of the rev range, just seems wrong shifting before the redline.

So i'm now looking at getting a little more out of the clio without spending silly money and keeping it reliable.

I know the RS2 isn't really that common, so not many will be able to give first hand experience. But having searched the forum i've got a few more questions that are probably easy to answer for a few.

Car is currently running 185bhp, mapped by RS Tuning.

So i'm thinking of adding 197 cams, arp bolts, decat and possibly replacing the exhaust (not sure what brand it is - looks like a k-tec rear and it's got a powerflow middle section welded to the Cat).

My Cambelt is due in 18 months anyway, so it's not really a big deal doing the cambelt early, was thinking of getting it done before the summer next year, April/May time, so only 12 months early. Gives me time to find a 197 camshaft on the cheap hopefully.

Questions:
Is the 197 cam the best option with the RS2 still, i know they need special timing to get the best from them and other cams haven't had expected results from them. These seem like the best option, also hopefully available second hand for £100-150.

When getting the belt changed in the future, can these cams just be locked again like the standard cams. I'm not going to have trouble with timing getting thrown out if someone else does the cambelt?

Best place to get the mapping sorted? EFI or RS Tuning?

Are the ARP bolts easy to install? I'm assuming just need to drop the sump to access them, I'm just thinking about cost involved if i get someone to carry out all the work.

Do i need to replace anything else while the Camshaft is being changed (other than the obvious belt kits)? I'm assuming the dephaser, and everything else remains standard.

I know top end power should be around 195-200bhp with this setup, but what will happen with the torque? anyone got a rolling road print out with similar setup. All the old threads seem to have dead links now.

I'm hoping without the exhaust replacement that i can get this sorted for around £1000 (maybe a touch optimistic? but shouldn't be massively more), so decat, 197 cams, arp bolts, all fitted and mapped. Plan on getting someone to fit the cams, and bolts for me at the same time, so hoping labour will not be massively different to the usual cambelt price

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Best off asking Paul at rs tuning what works with what, He will have seen a lot more results than any of us on here,
Do you have a graph with the rs2 fitted

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Best off asking Paul at rs tuning what works with what, He will have seen a lot more results than any of us on here,
Do you have a graph with the rs2 fitted

Very good point, I'd not really thought about that. I'll give them a ring later in the week.

I do have the graph, but only in paper format at the minute, torque is pretty flat and at around 150 for a large part of the rev range as is common with these. Can remember where peak power is, but it seems to rev out to around 7400-7500 rpm

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
For track, hard thrashing abuse I'd go GrpN!
Drivability if really good. Scoff at EFi was really shocked at the torque mine had with this setup. It really does just pick up and go from very low down and keep pulling.

Scoff said if I wanted more power he could make any cams even 421s work on normal timing. I very nearly did this, even put my RS2 up for sale!! Luckily got talked round as I really think I would of regretted it.
I've got more torque than yours currently.
Where abouts are you shame you couldn't have a go in mine

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Don't 197 cams give more power at the top end but in doing so they sacrifice torque? Dan at SJM would be a good person to ask - he has personal experience of the RS2 with 197 cams and he can map so could be another option or at least someone to chat with about options, pros and cons.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I messaged and emailed Dan twice about mapping. Got no reply... :confounded:
I'm sure I read 197 cams give more power and do nothing for torque too.

Efi I'd defo recommend, top top work with no big headed ego.

@Darryl_1983 get a picture of your graph and upload it here, I'll compare it to mine. Mines slightly more powerful bhp wise and has more torque too. And my torque curve was virtually flat :wink:

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Thanks for all the comments.

I'll dig out the graph when i get a minute at home (and i remember), for comparison.

To be honest i was tempted to sell the RS2 on recently, as my current car doesn't seem any faster than my old 182, with light breathing mods and RSTuner map. Then putting the money into a turbo build. But i've gone off that idea. I know top end bhp isn't really the result of the RS2 and drivability is the biggest improvement, but having read so many threads of people going from 165-170bhp to 185bhp with this installed and setup, I thought i'd be getting a quicker car than my original 182.

My views on the torque and drivability are also probably misguided a little as I had a 220bhp hybrid turbo diesel jetta before this, so had more than double the torque available in that. It did take me a few weeks to get used to dropping down a couple of gears to find the power in the clio, but that was one of the reasons for changing (the noise was the other big reason).

I'm not looking to chase down a certain bhp, I'm just wanting the car to be faster I guess, pull through the gears quicker when driving flat out.

For example there is a junction near my work place that pulls onto a NSL road, it's uphill all the way and there is a corner that i need to slow down for if i drive flat out. My old car and this car get to that braking point at exactly the same speed (infact so did the Jetta), I'd like to be able to get there say at 5mph more. Would chasing more power or torque be better for this? I'm guessing top end power and torque both need to improve to achieve this.

I like the idea of group N timing, as it'll save me £150+ on cams....

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
sorry for the thread revive...

@Darryl_1983 what did you do in the end mate?

Sold the car, bought it back. Then pulled the RS2 off to sell and sold the car again. Didn't end up doing anything with it. The plan was to change things up when i changed the belts which were due this year from memory.

Do you already have a RS2 or are you looking to purchase one?