ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Track Tyres?

Clio 200 Black and White
After 3 short track evenings my OE front tyres are dead.

Ok, I was driving like a bit of a hooligan, but does anyone know if trackday rubber would last longer in these circumstances?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHrZm8Ehfqo

Will Toyo 888's last longer on track than the Conti Sport Compacts, given that they are specifically designed for trackday use? Or does the softer rubber wear more quickly than road tyres?

Lotus Exige, 182
r888s provide awsome grip wet or dry (except for standing water where you will crash and die) and if you are looking to go faster for each lap on track, these are what you want. From reading your other thread though, it doesn't sound that way, if you like the slide the car / "drive like a hooligan" - one of the reasons I've let mine go - you'll overheat the tyres badly and kill them off quickly, even the gg compound is pretty sticky. They do have a good feel though and break grip in a nice, progressive manner. Personally speaking I wouldn't use them on the road for similar overheating reasons. Other people on here do though.

They're now very expensive and you might consider t1-Rs or Kumho v70s, which I believe are cheaper. Others on here also rate Hankook v12s.

BTW, I tested a 200 at the weekend - really, really liked it, even though I didn't want to, and I can see why you use it on track. Such an all round upgrade on the 182, and I want one badly!

Last edited:
  172 Cup & Clio dci Van
smoother cornering might help :)

cant go wrong with R888's depending on who you speak to listen too, stories that you wont be allowed to use these on the road next year, and you can only buy them from certain retailers

Wear on r888's depends on how aggresive and hard laps you do... some people get a few days out some mash up a front set in a day...

Artic 182
A048's FTW.

Or best bet is always to have a second set of wheels, then stick some old tarmac rallye tyres on like N20's. Search ebay or the britishrally sale section.

I got my N20's for £120 2nd hand, did 3 full aggressive days on them, then sold them on for £150 with a couple more days in them!

Clio 200 Black and White
Thanks for the advice.

I guess I will take it a little easy on the next few sessions - I just had a hard time controlling my enthusiasm last time :)

I've been quoted 1000 chf (about 650 quid) for 4 888's fitted, which is actually slightly cheaper than the OE tyres at the same tyre fitter so I will probably go with them.

to answer your original question, track rubber won't last anywhere near as well as a road tyre. Contisports have a tread wear rating of 280, whereas most track tyres have a rating of 60. you can make a mess of road tyres by overdriving them but, all things being equal, they'll last far, far longer than track tyres

260% JCW
Have you looked at the Hankook RS2's?

£50 each from Camskill in a 15" fitment, might be trying these when my R888's have had it.

lift number 1 @ btm
a major factor is tyre pressures, if these are wrong you will wear the tyres much faster.

if you are driving particularly like a hooligan you may need to run different pressures left to right (when cold). for instance on a clockwise circuit with mostly right handers you will probably find the left side both hotter and wearing faster than the right.

on sessioned day it's harder to get right, but if it's an open pitlane i always stop two or three times early on to check tyres, once they seem to have settled down i know that if i stop all i have to do is a few warm up laps and they are all back to temp/pressure. they seem to wear much better (and more evenly) then

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I've been using Hankook Rs2's for a couple of yrs now.
Not the outright grip of 888's but more playfull.
The also don't make your car sound like 1960 landrover on road.
You have 17's so a sets about £325 compared to £700 for 888's no brainer really.
Did silverstone in the 5 on friday & so much more fun with rwd :D
Little if any understeer & when it appears a boot full of throttle sorts that out;)