ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best trackday brake set up advice please !

182 cup
[Quote = CamMoreRon; 10334125] Voy a estar utilizando DS1.11 en mi coche hillclimb como su curva de par / temp es muy impresionante en temperaturas bajas. pastillas EBC - evitar. discos de freno baratos - EVITE. soplé aparte algún nuevo Renault discos delanteros en Brands en mojado con CL RC5 + .. fracturas finas y blow-outs en toda la cara del disco! Yo recomendaría lo que tengo ahora, que es CL RC6 y Brembo Maxtorque discos -! Potencia de frenado increíble y voy a ir todo el día no se puede escatimar en los frenos, si está haciendo días de la pista. Sé almohadillas decentes y discos costó un poco, pero también lo hace sentado en los boxes / ir a casa temprano porque los frenos se tiran a los pedazos. [/ Quote]:)

for street work similar to the DS2500, Cold slows you very little to look perfect hillclimbs

We've happily migrated up from EBC RedStuff to EBC YellowStuff and have now bought a set of EBC BlueStuff pads ready to go in this weekend for our standard Clio 172 cup calipers and Brembo HC disks - this has been from a progression of gaining experience and understanding how to brake better since starting tracking and racing the same Cup since 2011.

We've had no near death experiences, pad disintegration or any need\want to try other makes - it's only a 875KG Clio after all.

Would have gone for EBC OrangeStuff but EBC don't make these in a Clio fitment ( these are for high speed scrubbing of speed, where as BlueStuff are for total stopping power, to a halt).

The price point of these pads are really good, paid £75-80 for Reds, £85-90 for Yellows and have just paid £100 for Blues. Prices are all in nothing to add.

Would happily endorse the right colour for the right application to your experience - if we used RedStuff today and didn't change they way we braked of course we wouldn't have anything good to say about them.

All down to personal experiences, pocket and if you want to be Lofty's mate or not.

Last edited:

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
For a standard Clio 1*2, I dont see any point in having more than good quality standard spec equipment. I did a full Dry at Brands, a full Wet Brands and most of a full day at bedford all on the same Mintex vented discs and standard Mintext pads. Over 200 laps of brands, and 50 laps at Bedford. I drove hard for all of them (sub 1min laps at brands) and not once did I feel a brake issues. Ive only just had to replace the pads now and the discs look smooth and even.

A few sellers on Ebay do the mintex kit (front pads and pair of discs) for under £50.

Last edited:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've used EBC on road, track & race cars as well as bikes.

None of which I thought where very good. I used to work for a company who where an agent for them as well so I know the product.

For track CL's are pretty hard to beat or DS3000's.

Green stuff lol! I destroyed a set of them at brands, the pad material came away from the backing plate. I'd sooner use pink wafer biscuits.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ive tried brembo hc discs and ds 2500 felt good, minimal fade after long stints but only got 2 and a half trackdays out of them

next hc discs and ds3000 pads, felt good no fade after long stints and 1 and a half trakdays.

next i am going to try the rc6 with hc discs and hope to get more days out of them. happy to wear out discs rather than pads as they are cheaper.lol

Trophy
I run HC discs with RC6 pads, Motul 600 fluid, braided hoses and CM Composite ducts, works a treat on track and road performance is acceptable. Strong and fade free.

I've used EBC on road, track & race cars as well as bikes.

None of which I thought where very good. I used to work for a company who where an agent for them as well so I know the product.

For track CL's are pretty hard to beat or DS3000's.

Green stuff lol! I destroyed a set of them at brands, the pad material came away from the backing plate. I'd sooner use pink wafer biscuits.

There you go - your obviously an experienced\capable driver and you take green stuff out on track?

Copied this from the EBC web site,

Greenstuff series is regarded as a first level brake improvement over stock and can deliver up to 15% improvement in stopping power.

back to my comment I made earlier - Would happily endorse the right colour for the right application to your experience.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
There you go - your obviously an experienced\capable driver and you take green stuff out on track?

Copied this from the EBC web site,

Greenstuff series is regarded as a first level brake improvement over stock and can deliver up to 15% improvement in stopping power.

back to my comment I made earlier - Would happily endorse the right colour for the right application to your experience.

I get how that reads mate.

But the green is supposed to be a fast road pad is it not? I would at least expect it to stand up to more than the standards.

I get how that reads mate.

But the green is supposed to be a fast road pad is it not? I would at least expect it to stand up to more than the standards.

I'm not quite sure what\who the green stuff pads market is, I suspect at the £30-40 price bracket it's for the people who want to try something different other than standard and not pay a premium. But once you know how to brake and be effective they become more than useless.

15% over standard - would give me half a lap of Brands Indi before I'd be saying WTF and coming in with smoking brakes. lol.

Same could be said for fitting a set, say Bluestuff or RC6 (not tried either myself yet), of capable race type pads along with limited experience. The braking phase would be bad, this could lead you to believe the pads where the problem and then these pads would be avoided in the future.

Clio 172 phase 1
The problem with ebc is they make ( fast road pads ) but all have to be r90 approved so within a 15% tolerance .... full race pads ad is there new bluestuff are not r90 approved for the clio and not road leagal * says the approval * so they can exceed braking specs at different temps i have a set and when there cold there just sorta there and after a few miles with out any braking there is nothing untill stood on! However when warm and when hot there brilliant the pedal is prigressive and the bite is fantastic for the price wich at £65 that i payed ( thanks to where i work ) i say there a brilliant pad the next stage would be carbon lorraine however for some one who needs to learn how to use these pads on the road ( novice ) there a great place to start

Clio 172 phase 1
Excuse grammar and spelling im on my phone and ive only had it a day and cant get usto the bigger keyboard

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
CL. RC 6 on the front with brembo max discs and CL. RC 5 and standard discs on rear.. Never had any brake fade with this set up. Wheels are 15"oz ultraleggeras.

Lancia Integrale
What do people recommend as a step up from ds2500 pads? To be honest they performed perfect last month at Bedford but they are due a change should I try another pad?

172 Track Car
I'll be using DS1.11 on my hillclimb car as their torque / temp curve is very impressive at low temps. :)

EBC pads - AVOID.

Cheap brake discs - AVOID.

I blew apart some brand new Renault front discs at Brands in the wet with CL RC5+.. hairline fractures and blow-outs all over the disc face! I would highly recommend what I have now, which is CL RC6 and Brembo MaxTorque discs - unbelievable stopping power and will go all day long!

You cannot skimp on brakes if you're doing track days. I know decent pads and discs cost a bit, but so does sitting in the pits / going home early because your brakes are shot to pieces.

And review of ferodo ds 1.11? Took about 2000km with them and am very happy

Where do you chaps buy the ds1.11 pads from? I've got no reason to change at the moment but it's nice to know

172 Cup
They're similarly priced to DS2500 / DS3000 as far as I'm aware.. my mate had some for his hillclimb 205 and they were awesome. Cold performance was very, very good.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Was just about to ssy, have you tried George.

Cheers Tony, chin up aswel mate with your race car. Will be worth it when it's sorted and you're racing again!

how much?

For Ferodo DS1.11's? Can you let me know too....been reading up on these.

I'd also be interested in prices

Yes for the Ferodo Racing DS1.11 pads for the front of your 172s

I'll send you some prices now via PM

cheers

182 cup
Where do you chaps buy the ds1.11 pads from? I've got no reason to change at the moment but it's nice to know

Spain, 200€ Value friend :p

I had to trim a little and install add sheets, lots of noise for the street :banghead:

now sound like a DS2500

RS2004
Can't you get them direct from Renault Sport, they list at €188 exc.VAT 7711155603 but get a quote first, RS site says 2012 price list...

Last edited: