ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best way 2 clean and paint calipers

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
all i did was wire wool or brush the flaking rust off, some fine grit wet and dry paper, then wipe with white spirit to get rid of the grease etc, then get some hammerite straight on paint, and wack it on, the first coat wont look too pretty, but the second should look better.

also, in red take your time as the brush strokes are very visible, so make sure they all run in the same direction.

and do not drive your car for the rest of the day to make sure the paint dries before your calipers get hot under braking.

hope that helps?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
sprayed?where?

might of put it wrong, i used hammerite smooth paint, and put both coats on with a brush.

sorry if i confused you!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
"hammerite straight on paint" oops i thought it said spray on paint :eek: so just buy hammerite red and give it 2 coats? how many hours can i not drive for? can i speed it up by usign a hair dryer on it?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It takes a couple of hours to go dry to the touch , leave it 24 hours would be best imo so any brake dust , dirt etc won't bond to the paint . But i have seen on here somebody who painted them and drove it straight away . Its up to you at the end of the day really .

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
well hopefully ill have them painted by 10 so if i leave them for 6 hours?

also if i use spray paint do i split the calliper and cover the whole thing or wat?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If your leaving the calipers on the car i would paint them with a brush , if your taking them off the car i'd spray them and just mask the piston up , split the caliper and pad carrier .Painting them on the car is alot quicker , but its easier to clean them off the car imo .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If they are already off the car it'll be easier to paint them , then fit them .

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
yeh but ill have 2 wait ages 2 fit them! lol

ok so if i clean them and paint them, do u think 5 hours dryign wud b ok with a little help frm a hairdryer?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
5 hours will probably be ok .I was just thinking that it'll be easier for you if you clean and paint them off the car . Personally i'd paint them Saturday fit them Sunday .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They'll probably dry faster when you drive , as the calipers get hot and will cure the paint .

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i just painted mine (last nite) and didnt even clean them properly, just rubbed with a rag, and my trusty finger. Thats cos i be lazy, they look smarty arsey anyways (from a distance) :rasp: apart from the scruffy wheel

27102006(001).jpg

Last edited:
  A well built VW
Use a small brush and cut the bristles down so they are only about 11/2 cm long will help - just make sure you clean the calipers well before applying wire brush and emery paper should do it and two coats is a must to prevent the rust coming back quickly
A good paint to use is called JAPLAC from B&Q,Homebase etc i find it gives a much better glossy finish to the calipers and is very hard wearing too....