ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best winter screenwash?

Clio 200 Cup
The screewash in my Clio keeps freezing up so I want to buy some decent stuff that wont freeze.

Any suggestions?

Whats the coldest your car has been without the screenwash freezing?

soon to be 182 ;)
i got some off my mate who works at porsche and tbh it is the best stuff ive used, ran out today tho so gonna go to halfrauds and get some lemon stuff agen

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I buy the AG stuff in baulk, mixed to winter spec, no problems yet!

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Volkswagen / Audi / Seat & Skoda Genuine Screen wash goes up to -70 so thats whats been going in my Clio and Vectra ST.
Its £2.88 a bottle from any VAG dealer and the part number is G052164M2

Alot of supermarket and halfords screen wash will do up to -20

Last edited:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Up to -70? Down to -70 surely.

Anyway, OP are you mixing the screen wash with water or using it neat? I'm pretty sure that screen wash that is in the pipes to the washer jets can still freeze.

soon to be 182 ;)
mine froze this morning think i added too much water as was down to the last bit of my screen wash

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
i got some off my mate who works at porsche and tbh it is the best stuff ive used, ran out today tho so gonna go to halfrauds and get some lemon stuff agen

I had Porsche stuff last year and it froze for a past time - different car though.

God knows what's in mine currently but it doesn't seem to freeze! It was in there when I bought it though so I don't have any more.

Last edited:
  soon to be 182 ;)
I had Porsche stuff last year and it froze for a past time - different car though :)

God knows what's in mine currently but it doesn't seem to freeze! It was in there when I bought it though so I don't have any more.

gonna go get halfords stuff tonite and pour some boiling water in the bottle if its still frozen then empty and fill it agen so no more freezing :)

im using holts screen wash
HLTSA5A.jpg

i think it goes to -23
bought it round here for €7 for 5 Litres of it:)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got some car plan stuff in pure with no water and its been fine, sometimes seems a little low pressure as if the lines have a bit in them thats frozen, the stuff from renault that came with the car wouldnt freeze no matter what temp it was awsome

Golf GTD Mk7
neet screen wash should be fine even at -15. If you check the resevoir I'd be suprised if they are frozen. It will just be the jets that have blocked up with ice.

BG182ff,explod Focus
Vodka (the cheapest you can find).

nah, buy some really cheap perfume, the cheaper the better.
the really cheap stuff is nearly pure ethanol alcohol (~98% Vol is what you are looking for)
running that at around 40% mix should see you OK down to -23° see here
no idea what ethanol will do to your paint or wiper blades though :drunk:

random fact of the day i bumped into a work friend filling his rover 75 with screenwash it takes nearly 10litres to fill it :eek:

nah, buy some really cheap perfume, the cheaper the better.
the really cheap stuff is nearly pure ethanol alcohol (~98% Vol is what you are looking for)
running that at around 40% mix should see you OK down to -23° see here
no idea what ethanol will do to your paint or wiper blades though :drunk:

I'd rather my windscreen smelt of vodka than cheap perfume, I'd wretch every time I went near it if I put perfume in there.

Arctic 182
Any idea how much notice I should take of the warning 'rinse neat product if it comes in to contact with paintwork'?

I've just topped up my washer bottle with a whole bottle of screenwash so it should be a little diluted

Anyone else find that the stuff from Halfords has a tendency to dry smeary? Not put any in the 182, but in the old 306 I had this problem with it all the time

Golf GTD Mk7
Any idea how much notice I should take of the warning 'rinse neat product if it comes in to contact with paintwork'?

I've just topped up my washer bottle with a whole bottle of screenwash so it should be a little diluted

Anyone else find that the stuff from Halfords has a tendency to dry smeary? Not put any in the 182, but in the old 306 I had this problem with it all the time

WTF, no contact with paintwork :S wierd!

S4 Avant
Oddly enough, urine makes a brilliant screen wash, dilute down with a bit of water and it has similarly low freezing temperatures to the £10 bottles you buy at halfrauds.

The amonia in it helps stop the water freezing see.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Renaults pink stuff, smells great (comes in new cars) goes down to -23 iirc, it a small 100ml bottle but has never froze on me in the 5 years ive used it. Not smearey either.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Oddly enough, urine makes a brilliant screen wash, dilute down with a bit of water and it has similarly low freezing temperatures to the £10 bottles you buy at halfrauds.

The amonia in it helps stop the water freezing see.
spraying pee all over the car, that should be neat :))