ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182 Track project

996 turbo, R1 & Clio 172
So having got the bug to get back into doing some track days without the previous high cost of running my last track car (a 600 bhp Subaru STi) I decided a Clio sport was the way to go. I’ve previously had one as a second car for the road and found it fast and capable and a visit to knockhill confirmed it was the car of choice for track days.

With that decision made the next question was whether to buy a readymade track car or to build one from a mint road car myself. Due to being impatient and not particularly interested in getting my hands dirty I decided that a readymade track car was the way forward for a couple of reasons – If I got a mint road car it would cost a fortune for all the track bits and more importantly I’d be reluctant to damage it. (a decision in hindsight was probably the wrong one!)

Next task was to find a suitable car...in my usual haste I had found one and bought it over the phone after about an hour of deciding I wanted one!

So – the original description and advert/photos-

Clio 182 2.0 litre, v5 included. Mot'd April 2016. 4x federal track tyres with 182 wheels, Carbon Lorraine front pads, aftermarket induction kit/filter, safety devices cage, sparco seats + harnesses, 4 road legal tyres to put on standard 182 wheels, sparco steering wheel including boss kit and fitting kit, standard Clio steering wheel, bonnet pins fitted, xenon headlights fitted, no interior inside due to stripping for track, heaters left inside only, heko wind deflectors, 86,000 miles on clock, new engine at 50,000 miles from warranty Arnold Clark Renault plus some service history and loads of receipts. Remapped and de-catted. 1 problem drivers door has slight dent in it, wasn’t fussed due to being a track car, get door for about £30-£40 scrappys if bothered.

All sounded well and fit for purpose so I agreed to buy it, It just needed a new driveshaft fitted before I could go and get it which the seller was going to do. Pick up day arrived and unfortunately the seller had been unable to locate a driveshaft and the one he had been promised turned out to be for a 172! After a bit of negotiation it was agreed that I’d take the car as is if he could drop it off at my house which he did the next day. I was a bit reluctant to take the car with the driveshaft required as then potentially the problem of finding/fitting one became mine but a quick call to Stephen Dickson at SD Auto Services reassured me that it was an easy fix so off to Stephen the car went, few hours later and the car was sorted. Happy days!

Time to start having a good look around the car and see what’s what. I’ll be driving the car to and from the track so need to make sure it’s good for the road as well as the track.

First up – tyres. A fairly well used set of Federal RS-R’s are on it at the moment on the standard 182 wheels and it’s clear these aren’t going to do me any favours with the local constabulary so a set of road wheels required. Quick look on gumtree shows a set of 172 wheels with some newish tyres locally for £150 – a cheeky £100 offer had them bought...the tyre brand leaves a lot to be desired but as they just need to be legal to get me to and from the track I’m not that bothered.

Next on the list – brakes. A quick check of these reveals an annoying surprise! The CL pads that was advertised as being on the front were actually a totally gubbed old set of mintex with barely enough meat on them to do a few laps and certainly no use for the road! With the pads out and new ones required a set of Bosch pads were put on as a temp fix until I can get a set of DS2500’s. It was at this point I wondered what other surprises I would find!

Next up – The back bumper. Not sure why but the previous owner had cut the lower section out of the back bumper. I have seen it done on a couple of other cars but for me it served no purpose, didn’t particularly look that good and would just draw un-necessary attention to the car when it was driving on the road. A quick call to renparts had a new rear bumper on its way to me – conveniently in BG to match the car! I also ordered a new steering cowl as not having that on was just weight saving in the extreme and I preferred the look of it being there.

After all the above fitted this is how it looks now.

It was at this point I question whether it would have been easier to have bought a nice road car and converted it to track instead of the other way around. As they say it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it – a saying that is especially true when it comes to car parts! Still, too late for that now and i’ve got a car ready for track.

Next steps are a good road test, oil and filter change, brake fluid change and sort anything else that pops up.

Last edited:
  996 turbo, R1 & Clio 172
I can't seem to edit the photos in as planned due to an editing time limit so here they are -

The advert -
49D85754-6E44-4D43-82D1-DEB151A857BD_zpszgd4r8pg.jpg

The wheels/tyres -
5444F44D-86EA-4CB8-8EC9-44B09E220F07_zpsmmitn2w0.jpg

6AB8A0A1-AEA2-41C1-B432-1BA8BAA2CB7C_zps4ewr6ewr.jpg

B08EFF09-B259-4E80-8DCD-54465BC9354E_zpstb7knmim.jpg

F58576DB-6658-4829-BC3D-1EF84840B891_zps6og5enlr.jpg

The bumper-
C9BAFA23-8428-48AC-86E8-C76F63229D56_zpsgake18ft.jpg

7C063A3D-59BB-4517-B4E9-710F6DA72BE4_zpsvbcfeug4.jpg

604C3366-7E41-44ED-9D53-E6C39666E3A2_zpsj6h6dju1.jpg

68AC64A8-FE19-472B-B841-65DF442511A2_zpsdyt0lipm.jpg

And how it looks now -
15FCA6BC-DC84-4544-AB6A-87796A313825_zpsfilfzswi.jpg

8A1B6C53-13A7-446D-8E5C-06F9A0580740_zpsm0amrggx.jpg

996 turbo, R1 & Clio 172
Ok, Took the car out on its maiden voyage to see what was what. First impressions – noisy, but that’s to be expected!

Not overly convinced it’s been re-mapped either but it’s hard to say for sure, not sure if there is any way of finding out?

Another problem is the speedo doesn’t work which I can’t live with on the road. My iphone gps app will suffice for now but I’ll take a guess at this being ABS related as just about every light is on in the dash cluster!

ABS/Traction – i’m going to be optimistic and assume someone has pulled the fuse out and be even more optimistic and assume if i put another one in the speedo will work again! Will report back on this when i check it.
Serv/EML – De-catted so to be expected.

Other minor irritations –
Horn doesn’t work – assume due to the aftermarket wheel – will look to fix this and if not possible will fit an external switch.
Hazards don’t work – switch is gubbed, new one ordered.
Right hand indicator causes side light to fade – bad earth, will clean the earths up and if that doesn’t fix it get a new light cluster.

Moral of the story – buy a road car and convert it to a track car...not the other way about ;)

996 turbo, R1 & Clio 172
Small update - I've sorted all the wee niggly bits. The speedo is working, DS2500 pads fitted and brake fluid changed using AP Racing Formula DOT 5.1 fluid and got a set of 15’s with a set of 205 width soft compound Toyo R888’s for track.

I got it confirmed that the car has been remapped and have now done 2 track days in it and it’s a great wee car round the track. A datalogged 63.97 second lap at knockhill on a busy track night shows it’s pretty well sorted and i felt it had a lot more in it with a clear track and bedded in brakes/tyres.

The bad news is I’m addicted to track days again and can see my quest for big power starting again... watch this space!