ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big brakes

clio 172 (Phase 2)
Hey guys,

Had a quick search through this section for big brake conversions along with bigger calipers (4 pots+) and found very little. I had 4-pots on my 106 and loved them to pieces and the 172 brakes (even with EBC turbo groove discs) don't quite cut it.

Soooooo i'm wandering who's had/got big brakes and larger calipers on there clio, what they think and what would they reccommend?

P.S. I'm looking for around the 300mm size as i want to keep my standard 16's

Last edited:
  clio 172 (Phase 2)
Re: Big breaks

ARGHHHH sorry really didn't mean to miss spell it......i'm the same haha will sort it

clio 172 (Phase 2)
Well its already got Uprated discs not sure about pads (only just got the car) not sure about everything else not had chance to get under it and give it a through once over.

And yea they are good but like i said still leave a little to be desired.....i had alot of fun with my old ones haha

Well its already got Uprated discs not sure about pads (only just got the car) not sure about everything else not had chance to get under it and give it a through once over.

And yea they are good but like i said still leave a little to be desired.....i had alot of fun with my old ones haha

No its not got 'uprated' discs if it's got EBC on there. They are shite, cheap, poor quality discs that have completely useless bling machined into them to appeal to boyos and are usualy coupled with equaly cheap and useless 'colourful' pads. Standard kit is far and away better than this.

Brembo HC discs, CL's, PF97 or PF01 pads, decent fluid i.e. AP 5.1 and some cooling if you absolutely need it (doubtful) and they'll outperform most cheap 4 pot setups.

It's a 1000KG'ish car - you don't need multipot calipers etc. to stop it. Just decent kit.

Cheers
M

clio 172 (Phase 2)
My 106 was sub 1000kg and didn't need it but i wanted it :)

More reason to get rid of the 'upgrade' then and get a genuine upgrade 2-birds one stone

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
No its not got 'uprated' discs if it's got EBC on there. They are s**te, cheap, poor quality discs that have completely useless bling machined into them to appeal to boyos and are usualy coupled with equaly cheap and useless 'colourful' pads. Standard kit is far and away better than this.

couldn't agree more

Brembo HC discs, CL's, PF97 or PF01 pads, decent fluid i.e. AP 5.1 and some cooling if you absolutely need it (doubtful) and they'll outperform most cheap 4 pot setups.

It's a 1000KG'ish car - you don't need multipot calipers etc. to stop it. Just decent kit.

I have issues with this though. Single pot calipers, no matter how good the disks and pads they're coupled with, just dont apply even braking effort to both sides of the disk. Every single clio I see, wears the inside of the disc WAY before the outside. I've seen grooved disks that look new from wheel side, with no grooves left on the inside. That is NOT efficient. You might stop the car ok, but it's far from good

You might stop the car ok, but it's far from good

But if you are stopping the car OK why is it far from good? If you're generating sufficent retardation from the brakes to outbrake most things on track then are you really worrying that your pad wear rates differ side to side whilst you're doing it?

All the 1*2 Cup race cars I've worked with have been on single piston sliding calipers bar one. One of them was kitted up with a full delta logging system which recorded most aspects of the front brakes including individual line pressures, pad temperatures, disc temperatures and caliper body temperature.

Upshot of it all was that yes there were differences in pad temp between the inner and outer pads and yes therefore the loading on each pad face was different but you could still lock the front wheels up solid at 80mph on hot slicks in an 18 degree ambient with a dry track and in race distance (for this car anyway) there was no fade or drop off with marginal at best cooling.

It's a perfect example of spending money to fix a problem that you don't need to worry about. Yes it's not perfect but would a set of opposed piston calipers on the same size disc have made that car stop any better? - not a chance IMHO.

Cheers
M

RS RIP
Brakes are fine on the RS..

I remember my 1999 Impreza , the worst brakes ever. Do'nt know how they could design a car like that , high power + heavy, and then put on the s**t brakes .

My Cup does'nt even have braided lines and still runs OEM discs and s**t EBC greens and i'm still happy haha

Next will be some Brembo Max (or high carbon which suprisingly seem to be better??) , braided lines and some Ferodo DS 2500 .

SHould i go for the Max or the HC ones ?

No difference between Max or HC in terms of material grade etc. Only difference is one set have some grooves cut into them. The difference this makes is questionable at best!

Cheers
M

RB 182 Special.
I had a 106 GTI before my 182 and must admit that the brakes were the only thing I was disappointed with when I got it. Even with Brembo discs and renault pads on, I thought the discs were crap! Other people seem hell bent on defending them during conversations, but I can't see why. As standard, the 1*2 brakes are horrible and simpy can't apply the pressure needed during hard braking. Adding DS2500 pads made things much better but still weren't ideal.

However, last year I replaced everything except the callipers. Rears for standard Renault parts -as they do next to nothing anyway- front discs and pads for Brembo Max Grooves and Mintex 1144s, put braided hoses all round and added some 5.1 fluid. The difference is marked; it now stops very strongly.

I'd love a set of 4-pots, like you, not because the car needs them, but because I've had them before -in my GTIR, a car that did need them- and the difference a good set of 4-pots upfront makes is hilarious.

Good luck in what you decide on, but unless you've got a spare grand or so lying about doing nothing, I reckon you'll be more than happy with something along the same lines as I've got. Next time I'll probably go for the 1155 pads, which are a little more expensive and give off a bit of dust (nothing like the Carbone Lorraines or Performance Fritions), but will apparently stop the car much better than even the 1144s! :D