ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big End Knock After Storage

Clio 182 Trophy
So I pulled my 182 out of storage this weekend. Did some checks and fired up. All seemed OK.
Went for a short drive and after a while I could hear a knock on overrun.
Pretty sure its the big ends :(

Question is how big of a job is it to replace? Can it be done with the engine in situ or does it need to come out to do it?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You wanna be more concerned with why the big ends have failed.

Just slapping a new set of shells in the engine won't do you much good if they get messed up just like the last set.

Clio 182 Trophy
I know. And thats a secondary question.
I imagine its run dry, parked on a slope, a year of trackdays and low oil level all culminating in a bad situation.

But can they be replaced without pulling the whole engine out?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Surely you can just tap your wand on the roof and wiggle your nose?

Ps - engine out, tear down and inspect crank. Did you check oil level before setting off?

If your a right pikey with it you can lower subframe, remove sump I'm situ and slap new shells in, admittedly now I've written that it does sound tempting even to me over pulling the engine out and apart.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's a gamble, cos if you get the cap off and see any damage to the crank then it's coming out.

What's a used engine go for these days? Might be worth slinging a working engine in while you rebuild the other?