ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Engine Problems, need help!!!

clio 182
Rite so my cars been in the garage since December, Bought a 2nd hand engine off a guy on here 'MATT' he owns a Renault breakers or something i think, well i bought the engine sort of mid January and had it sent straight to the garage where my car is being fixed, due to them being really busy with contract work my car got pushed further down the waiting line, so eventually they got the engine in and running last month when they started to hear rattling from the engine they arranged for someone from a tuning shop to come and have a butchers and he said sounded like the engine was fooked!! Iv had a few threads on here telling about the noises and problems ect. Well they got hold of Matt after he'd been away on holiday. He said what he thought it could be ect and for them to press on and have a go, The garage obviously don't want to take the engine apart until they have a fax off Matt saying its ok and that any damage to the engine resulting in the engine making the rattling ect they aren't at fault, So a weeks passed and still no fax, starting to get pretty fooked off now its been 3months and I'm stuck with a car bill that's going up up and up and an engine that's K.O'd

what else can i do is there any leagal action i can take if this isnt sorted pretty soon??

Lots of Alfas
Have you tried ringing there customer services on 01254 386661. The trouble is because the engine has been stored for a while, i know they do warrant the parts but not sure for how long.

clio 182
It was for 3 months but i reported the fault with the engine well before Matt went on holiday, so he knew about the problem he said he'd ring them and never then he went away for a week... So.... Where do i go from here!! Obviously the car hasn't left the garage for fear the engine will pack in under acceleration so its just there just ticking over.

Lots of Alfas
Its a tricky situation if you ask me, have you tried contacting matt since to remind him?? Ive ordered a part from him before which was faulty (which they wouldnt have know as such), they soon sorted it and sent a replacement no questions asked.

Have you heard the noise yourself, does it come from the top of the engine?? Have the garage timed it at all??

clio 182
Yes its from the top end of the engine, as iv said before it sound like a ball bearing in a rattle can, the more its revd the louder it is and then it cuts out, Matt said to check the dephaser or something on the cam shaft, This is where the garage are waiting on confirmation to say that its ok to take the engine apart so if the engine is knacked Matt new all about it before it was opened up...

Lots of Alfas
Id try ringing there number first thing tomoz and send emails/pms to get hold of Matt first. You can take legal action and perhaps threaten it but only as a last resort. Was the engine brand new on a pallet or was it 2nd hand with mileage?

clio 182
2nd hand with 32k i think, I wouldn't threaten as Matt has been pretty sound so far, slow but sound, I just want my car out of the garage soon its doing my head, need M.O.T Tax had to declare S.O.R.N... and still yet to foot the bill its going to be a big upset if it turns out the engine is nackerd and Matt wont fund a replacement..

911 GT3, 320i, M3
How did you pay for the engine?

I bought an engine fir my sisters fiesta, quite expencive, low millage from a breaker on credit card.

When it turned out to have spun a shell prior to it being installed the breaker had to supply another engine then the cc paid for it to be fitted.

The noise you're describing sounds just like what my fiesta started doing and that turned out to be the bottom end. It also sounded as if it was coming from the top of the engine.

www.renparts.co.uk
as said bottom end noise often sounds like its coming from the top end, but dephaser problems are common, sounds silly but engine tuners often use a stethescope (sp?), like a doctor, its easy to tell where the noise is coming from with one.

clio 182
What do i do!!! Any one in the south wales area know something about renaults who can help and give me some input... please

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
well im in bristol, but that engine may have been stored for months. tappets may have sized, or dephaser could have gone. have the garage done a belt on it? although it could be more serious, i had a gearbox from matt, it was perfect, took 2 days to come and it was job done