ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big hello from Afghanistan

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Hi guys
Well I finally made it out here, and boy is it hot!!! mid day reaches 50 degrees in the sun - so far the D3's are holding up, but the sand gets everywhere.
The cameras get that hot you need to wear gloves to hold them or you risk scolding your pinkies!

Heat shimmer is also a big pain in the arse.
Sunsets/sunrise is very quick..usually only 10 mins. The sun goes down at 19:15...by 19:30 it is pitch black.

Managed to rattle a few shots off this morning of the eclipse ( we only had a partial here)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
19x-2009-108-19x-2009-108-047.jpg

19x-2009-108-19x-2009-108-060.jpg

19x-2009-108-19x-2009-108-055.jpg

19x-2009-108-19x-2009-108-011.jpg

19x-2009-108-19x-2009-108-030.jpg

19x-2009-108-19x-2009-108-024.jpg

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Wow, never seen an eclipse as spectacular as that before.

What are you actually doing out there? PM me if u like.

182 Cup
Good luck out there mate, stay safe! My brother's been out there since June - he's still not liking the heat, or the food, or the driving!

Trophy #267
fook me they are impressive ! Kinda puts into perspective pics of rainy English day and a close up of a Renault badge, when youve got a eclipse in a dessert and a stonking great chinook to play with !
Hope the others are that good :) and have fun and stay safe !

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Excellent work mate.

Do you get free reign on where you take pics or are certain areas a no go for pics?

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Awesome!

Just make sure you don't post anything up that'll f**k up opsec :p

I am a bit past that stage mate - I am an Army photographer not a wannabe with a mobile phone wanting to post up the latest firefight on youtube!

As for "free reign" yes apart from an Apache cockpit I can get pretty much anywhere I like.

The first is a superb shot! Well they all are, just the first is the best IMO. Do you work for a photography company fella, as sure I have seen it mentioned before!

EDit; just read up a bit.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
19x-2009-108-091.jpg

19x-2009-108-084.jpg

19x-2009-108-081.jpg

photobucket is destroying the colours/contrast out of my images for some reason

But here are a few more teasers from this afternoon.

For anyone interested in the techy side of things you will notice that the rotors in all of my flying shots have some degree of movement, this is vital when shooting aircraft. The problem comes when selecting a slow enough shutter for this, but not getting any movement in the body of the Heli itself.

So I selected 1/250th at f22 200iso....because it is so bright out here.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Epic some cracking pics, i'm currently joing the RAF so guessing i'll be going out there in a year or so, can anyone take pics out there?

Would love to see more, sounds like my dream job being able to take pictures of the forces in action.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Really good shots, makes my shots from Fairford look like a play in the park in comparison! Damn hard shooting the Chinook helicopters; I just about managed to get some keepers at 1/125th and 1/200th, but even then they hardly look like they're moving!

Hope these are the first of many. :)