ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big spin in V6 clio

I was lucky enough to have a passenger lap in a V6 clio press car at the Nurburgring last weekend. I have never been in a car which is so twitchy. It started out with understeer which suddenly turned to snap oversteer. This happened early in the lap which the driver caught but the second time we werent so lucky. We did a full 360 degree spin and luckily stayed on the tarmac keeping the car in one piece. The rest of the lap was a very slow affair. Much as I love the look of the car its now off my christmas list.....

Gary

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

(i ussume your talking about the mk1)

Yep its known for its handling gremlins, just whack the mk2 setup on it and it will handle alot better.

[Edited by aaronc on 05 April 2005 at 8:45pm]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/nurburgring%20april%2005/DSCF2444.jpgNo it was a MK2 ...... 30K car with every extra you could think of

My old girl and the clio

URL]

[Edited by gutmann pug on 05 April 2005 at 8:50pm]

its still no dream car though lol.

the whole chassis needs serious sorting if your wanting to tackle anything extreem.

dk

911 GTS Cab

whenever I have been in one which is on a few tracks including the ring I never experienced anything like this, but then i was with drivers who knew how to drive, who was driving this V6, could they drive??????

Renault Laguna Coupe

My daughter spun ours at Donington Park last weekend coming out of McLeans. Big spin, she travelled about 100 yards on the grass before coming to rest. She thought shed be able to hurl it around like she did our 172.

V6 takes a bit more practice...

Clio 16v / Clio Williams

has anyone read this months evo? its got a big article on the V6 aswell as the new megane 255. Deffinatley makes the mkII to be out to be so much more defined and stable than the MK1, worth the extra cash, personally i love the V6, for its looks and the whole concept, i think id be dissapointed if it wasnt a bit of a heart in mouth affair to drive.

Tobe.

The guy was a pretty good driver to be fair. He has done a fair amount of track work and held the first oversteer pretty well. Although it felt too quick in when we span I wouldnt suggest he was doing anything particulaly recklass. To me it just felt that it wasnt predictable. I like to know what a car is going to do on the limit and the clio seemed to start with understeer and then very suddenly snap back. I feel 100% more confortable in Davyboys cup than in the V6 and therefore think I would be quicker in it on track.......

however it sounded awesome and looks the part for sure.

Gary

oh and thanks for the comment about my french clutter Mark266

Quote: Originally posted by tobe_k on 05 April 2005

has anyone read this months evo? its got a big article on the V6 aswell as the new megane 255. Deffinatley makes the mkII to be out to be so much more defined and stable than the MK1, worth the extra cash, personally i love the V6, for its looks and the whole concept, i think id be dissapointed if it wasnt a bit of a heart in mouth affair to drive.

Tobe.

Is that the May issue of EVO that has Mikes car in it yeah ?

Cheers Stu

Renault Laguna Coupe

Tobe.
I wish I could read it its my bloody car they used, cant find a copy anywhere!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i must say clarkies v6 felt quite twitchy with not much grip when i took a ride, although we were on a slightly mossy and mildly moist airfield

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 05 April 2005

Tobe.
I wish I could read it its my bloody car they used, cant find a copy anywhere!
I have a copy that Ive pretty much read, i could send it to you if you want.... Lovely mug shot of you in there!!

In fact Im surprised they didnt at least offer to send you a copy for the use of your car!! Cheeky Beggars!!

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 05 April 2005

Maybe some of them need 4 wheel alignment to improve things.

Yeah that or he needs to drive it like a RWD Rear Engined car and not a FWD front engined car, there is a difference.:D

On the wheel alignment thing, every V6 that has work done on the back end (new clutch and stuff) needs a full 4 wheel alignment done to set it up again after (so I have been told), after my new the clutch and garage didnt and it was STOCKING to drive, very twitchy indeed, once wheel alignment was done it was awesome again :)

just a couple of thoughts....

Simon.:D

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 06 April 2005

I have a copy that Ive pretty much read, i could send it to you if you want.... Lovely mug shot of you in there!!
Mugshot? Oh noooooooo!

many thanks for the offer, Ive been promised by my local W H Smiths that theyll have them in tomorrow. If they dont deliver Ill get back to you!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 06 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 06 April 2005

Mugshot? Oh noooooooo!

many thanks for the offer, Ive been promised by my local W H Smiths that theyll have them in tomorrow. If they dont deliver Ill get back to you!
Oh yes. Complete with cheesy grin!!

Let me know if you want it pal.

E91 M Sport

Read the Evo article last night, and the impression they give is that all the issues with the mk1 have been sorted to create a drivers dream with the mk2. Obviously the mk2 is a big improvement, but its never going to be anything less than a handful.

What type of places can do a proper 4 wheel alignment? Ive had new clutch and gearbox out twice, new wheels, etc. - think I might be a good candidate?

Oh, and Evo reckon the mk1 gearbox is sound?? hahahaha.

(Great magazine though, and Mike, your car is looking good, just a shame they didnt clean the mk1s windows first!)

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 06 April 2005

Mugshot? Oh noooooooo!
Yep a mugshot ... but (in my copy at least) looks like there is a ethereal fog in front of you ... so you wont get people asking for autographs unless its a foggy day ;)

Clio v6

Hate to be difficult but I swear my MK1 handled a LOT better. This one is light and fluffy at the front and it blows away even in the slightest wind. I will not attempt half as much as I did in my GREAT MK 1.

( its still a cute wee car though )

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 06 April 2005

What type of places can do a proper 4 wheel alignment? Ive had new clutch and gearbox out twice, new wheels, etc. - think I might be a good candidate?
Check out somewhere near the back of Evo an advert for ABP Motorsport somewhere near Crewe (I think) they can do it..I had a mate use them and he had nothing but praise for them.

I am still waiting for my Evo, it is in the post so look forward to reading this article..

Rob

sod that, the guy cant drive.

any rear drive/mid engined car thats short will obviously be twitchy, i can actually hodl my car in a drift for a few seconds now, and it jsut gildes back into position.

you just gotta get to know how it handles.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

When Wayne(slugger) took me out in his at GDI i must say that it seemed to handle very well! I know its only part of it but imo the tyres can also make a big difference to how the car haddles under pressure.

But mainly it comes down to having driven the car for a long time or regularly and to knowing what it will do when provoked. This is something even an excellent racing driver cant possibly hope to know immediatley upon getting into the car.

Given that the Vee that has sparked this debate is a press car and is likely to have been hooned around by the motoring press. Is it not reasonable to assume it has been spun a number of times. IIRC doesnt spinning a car at speed cause undue strain on the suspension geometry which would probably push it out of alignment and thus make the car more likely to spin. i.e. (edited version of drivel) press car = likely to have been spun more than once = more likely to spin again and feel twitchy as the wheels are trying to travel in all sorts of directions?

:D

clio v6

my Vee took a lot of getting used to..it is twitchy, but when you learn it the car will do almost anything.

I found that if you changed down entering a corner she would spin you round....just set the car up on the entance and floor it to exit.... she will do it.