ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Steve’s Clio 200 Raider

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
When Renault launched the Clio Raider in the UK, they used my 5GTT Raider for a feature in Auto Express magazine:
6847BB74-F9E6-4A74-A07A-A91F6EDC61EC.jpeg

And since then, I had a secret hankering to own a Clio Raider one day and complete my collection of Raiders.... but given the original planned run of 50 Cars in the UK, I figured my chances would be slim to none..

As many of you know, the 50 only turned out to be 28 Clio Raiders for the UKso they remain the most limited, of limited editions in the UK AFAIK.

So a week ago I saw an advert pop up on Facebay for a Red Clio Raider, for what I thought was the right money... I was on it like Sonic!! I NEVER thought I would own a Red car (I’ve always hated them) but something about this car just flipped a switch in me, and I liked the look of it.

One owner for all its life, fully serviced and MOT’d at Toomey Renault in Southend, everything present & correct.. Within an hour of making contact with the chap, a deal was hashed out, and deposit paid.

Bank Holiday Monday (3rd May) 2021 my best man I drove down to Southend in the RB Clio 182 Cup, and drove back with this:

4C957A78-4170-4383-899C-007DDD5F8739.jpeg

7659534F-B489-474D-9343-9C62CC84F810.jpeg

5812A8CF-9A9B-42C5-869D-9F3780BC0941.jpeg

1568F322-F252-4C17-A66B-2E477CB529E3.jpeg

C3A75B67-AD94-4B72-B1BF-D4DBA0DC7911.jpeg

290756A4-6226-4ADC-A16A-108956A760D2.jpeg

I’ve not yet introduced the two Raiders to each other... but couldn’t resist hashing a quick photo together:
8A8652AF-C24F-40A4-8C8A-B172C6FAD258.jpeg

So what’s my plan with it..?

Just clean it up and enjoy it.

Oh and to answer many of the questions I read in other posts:
  • Its number 14
  • I’m yet to see it look pink
  • Yes I know it’s no different to another Clio 200 and I could have saved some cash... but the fact it’s a Raider is important to me from the link to my 5.

Last edited:

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
Nice addition / story! What's your initial impressions of the 200, form a driving point of view?

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Nice addition / story! What's your initial impressions of the 200, form a driving point of view?

Very comfortable & grown up compared to the Clio 182.. just as the motoring press says. It's stiff as F**k on the roads, but there's no creaks or rattles so it seems well put together.

Not really driven in in any sort of anger yet, as I let my mate drive it home whilst I was in the 182. When I did get home, I went out for a drive, but the rain was coming down enough for Noah to start gathering animals... :) so still not REALLY got a feel for it.

Looking forwards to getting to know it though and now planning on taking it to the Clio meet at EFI Parts in July if any of you are going..?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I got all excited thinking you were going to day you'd bought the one from the auto express article. And then it's a pink one😒😂. There was a red one at a meet the other year and they look much better in the metal. I didn't realise they were that rare!

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I got all excited thinking you were going to day you'd bought the one from the auto express article. And then it's a pink one😒😂. There was a red one at a meet the other year and they look much better in the metal. I didn't realise they were that rare!
😁😁 I see where you going with that! Unfortunately it’s not #1 I’ve got, but I did see that Renault sold it recently, and it was up for like 12K 😲 Bit rich for me that!!

Have you still got the Megane?

The R26? No I sold that in March to one of my mates who fell in love with it during a few laps of Blyton at CS19 😉

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Well just over 24 hours of ownership and I’ve already dismantled the bugger!!
CDFBBEFD-8AA5-45BA-909F-9B8CF391266F.jpeg

Wanted to see what the deal was with the dent on the rear qtr, and see if my local dent-man would be able to get behind it? Of course, it’s a Renault, loads of open space back there!! Tried to take a pic of the dent:
7D6CDDE5-D035-4D34-B476-8AB12AC4EBE8.jpeg

It’s a bloody shame it’s there really, as it brings down what it otherwise a super straight car.

I’m amazed at the lack of stone-chips at the front of the car, the engine bay certainly needs a bit of loving tho...
1DA6BD6D-C1FE-41BF-8CF4-4610C10E9DAA.jpeg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Wanted to see what the deal was with the dent on the rear qtr, and see if my local dent-man would be able to get behind it?

Phoned my dent-guy up today to see if he was working/available this coming weekend. Tells me that he’s free today if I take it over..

£30 quid later and a bit of stretched metal, and the dent was a gonner
8637F75B-3758-43F2-8BC7-76EF1095DA78.jpeg

The longer I look at this car, the more I’m lovin’ the Matt Red paintwork. Looking forwards to giving it a proper clean up hopefully this weekend (weather permitting)

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I’m sucker for a private numberplate... and one evening toying with umpteen different configurations on the DVLA website and was 99% going to go for RA10 ERA which with a bit of sly spacing, and a squint, could read RAIDER A...
683C993C-652B-40E4-9AED-7407822E2881.jpeg

That was until I saw this plate for sale at the same reasonable money.. and I didn’t need any silly spacing shenanigans:
3EC314BF-E7A1-4A7F-A6E1-81EA277D13E1.jpeg

Huge thanks to my old mukka @Ricardos who helped me with the logistics of getting the exact plate I wanted.. 👌🙏

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Always happy to help @Big_Steve_T and that goes to any local Cliosport club member and beyond if they need any parts or help at Renault.

I've built up a decent rapport with all the departments at Southend Renault for probably over 15 years, especially the parts department. They're more than happy to help with any query.... Even if I don't have a Renault! 😁

They did well to arrive today considering they weren't posted until 2-3pm yesterday.

And finally, it's always the small details like the OE plates that make the difference. They understood that and were more than happy to help 😊

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Have noticed a little notch in the 4th gear when I’m driving the car... with spirit..

Chatted to the CS Gearbox Guru Mr @NorthloopCup and he recommended I change the fluid for some Redline MTX and bleed the clutch hydraulic line:
8E44CAE8-E559-4FCC-B549-9E4230E32788.jpeg

5CB06E0A-85F6-46AD-B4AA-A778A4F3A61D.jpeg

Did that this evening, and took the car out for a run. Noticed a discernible improvement in the shift action now into 4th, so it’s definitely done something. Will monitor it over coming weeks and see if it needs more investigation.

On similar investigation notes.. I’ve noticed the A/C system seems to make a noise when it’s running.. like a whistling.. wondering if it’s the pump on its way out after 9 years of service, or..???

Any suggestions welcome.

200 cup
Lovely car, I had a similar issue with fourth in my 200, did exactly the same with a clutch bleed and redline, gearbox has just got better and better, the stuff is amazing!

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Love that this car is super original with all the OE brackets, cable clips and stickers present and correct. However the engine bay is a little bit grimy from 75,000 miles of daily usage so wanted to spruce it up a bit.

3B767EBD-8FFA-4AD1-997E-74568905FEAF.jpeg

As you’ve seen on some of my other builds, my usual course of action is to get everything out and blast, re-plate and paint.. but I don’t want to go down that route with this car, I want to retain its originality.. so I had a quick Google and found this video from Chris Fix on YouTube detailing his procedure:

Thought I would have a punt at his process, so bought various brushes and cleaners, and some scotch pad wheels for my rotary multitool (Dremel).

Well after a couple of hours this morning, I have to say it certainly looks a LOT better under there, and now a lot more presentable:
732BD693-0A76-4A4D-8ED4-0C48EE116082.jpeg

22CDA6AF-EBC2-4D33-80DA-4EC16F1396A0.jpeg

Thanks for Raidering 😎

Looking tidy, nice to see another being looked after, seen you about on Insta I think

I nearly bought No.1 last year wish I had now it was silly low miles for some reason I bought a M2 comp instead 😂

but I’m on the hunt for a 5 raider, found one rotting away on someone’s drive but they wouldn’t sell 😭😡

but nice collection mate, very jealous

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Looking tidy, nice to see another being looked after, seen you about on Insta I think

I nearly bought No.1 last year wish I had now it was silly low miles for some reason I bought a M2 comp instead 😂

but I’m on the hunt for a 5 raider, found one rotting away on someone’s drive but they wouldn’t sell 😭😡

but nice collection mate, very jealous
Yeah I can see what swayed you to the M2 😉

Funny how Renault sold Raider no1 recently, I also saw the ad and hummed and hawed, but couldn’t justify the price it was up for.

You still got yours??

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I got recommended to have a look at the scuttle area as these cars suffer from blocked drains. Whipped the scuttle panel off this evening and found a good 9 years of grot:
4C4E8C9F-5948-4787-94E5-490EEFAC768B.jpeg

And a nice blocked scuttle drain and pool of black stagnant water on the off-side:
B450FDF7-916B-4FF1-8AED-5F9BA79265CD.jpeg

A couple of hours of scrubbing soon had it looking better for itself:
66B3BBE1-47DE-4CCE-8B84-99980988046A.jpeg

56559231-261F-42E8-8789-E20557EF4686.jpeg

4B783BAC-957E-4E58-8AB6-45F60F112F02.jpeg

I then fitted a new OE rear view mirror I picked up of eBay as the original one was damaged:
E4218E5A-5CB0-4311-A98F-D85FA946AAF6.jpeg

Thanks for visiting.

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
How did you remove the scuttle? I have never done that before
  1. Wipers off first
  2. Then remove the 2 screw clips on the right and left hand sides of the scuttle panel.
  3. Next pull off the rubber seal from the front edge of the scuttle panel.
  4. Scuttle panel will then lift off.
  5. You will then see you can remove the front scuttle panel moulding by removing the shock top covers (don’t forget to undo the 10mm nuts on each shock top cover first) then remove the 4 x 10mm bolts along the leading edge of the cover, and lift it off
To get the best access, you want to remove the left and right hand windscreen mouldings and then the other covers/mouldings in the left and right hand corners of the engine bay.

That should then leave you with something like this:
998E31DA-894C-47ED-A7E3-F6882EA5D14B.jpeg

01BEA67A-AEA8-458D-BF85-9D36206AF326.jpeg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Yeah I can see what swayed you to the M2 😉

Funny how Renault sold Raider no1 recently, I also saw the ad and hummed and hawed, but couldn’t justify the price it was up for.

You still got yours??

Hope it's better than trophy number one ! Saw that at a show had been repaired after a crash panel gaps all over the place 🤣