ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 coilovers - creaking

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Would those be the ones you sold to me saying they had no creaks or knocks????

It was the springs that made the noises but I found out the reason why. And to note you bought them in need of a refurb :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Hmm will take a look at that then, can feel it through the steering quite a lot and like I say only does it when moving around a car park.

The noise is most highlighted when I am slowly moving over bumps while turning.

oh that's a bit different to your previous post!!!

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
I have H&R's on mine and they creak when making slow movements ie pulling off the drive,parking ect,(have done it from brand new,have been on the car for 1 year and around 10,000 miles)but they only do it if the car isn't used everyday and stops after the car has had a good run.

Never worried about it,car go's on track a lot and never felt that it has affected the performance.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
oh that's a bit different to your previous post!!!

Lol yeah I read what I put and it didn't make much sense so thought I best re write it.

Had a wriggle of the pad using my fingers and there's no movement as far as I can tell.

Track rod and ball joint looks fine to me think im going to get the top mount washer fix done see if that changes anything as i do recall a similar noise after fitting but only did it on nasty bumps with a lot of lock applied.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Lol yeah I read what I put and it didn't make much sense so thought I best re write it.

Had a wriggle of the pad using my fingers and there's no movement as far as I can tell.

Track rod and ball joint looks fine to me think im going to get the top mount washer fix done see if that changes anything as i do recall a similar noise after fitting but only did it on nasty bumps with a lot of lock applied.

washer "fix" is crap, I've removed them to stop knocking on a few ocassions. i'd get new top mounts, or dremel the hole out a bit where it's been touching (it will be marked where it's rubbed)

I can't believe how many people have this issue with the bilsteins - considering everyone raved about them when I bought mine :(

I've gone for the B14's and have to say they are way too soft for any form of competition/track work. In my case sprints/ hillclimbs so short runs driven hard and on the limit.
I'm impressed with the rd characteristics and ride and had only driven them on B road blasts up to now, but ran 2 sprints at the weekend and have worn holes in the plastic inner arches, any agressive turn in and they catch, I did do 2 PB's and need to lift the car back up 10mm all round and need to try 15" wheels as well.
I may be giving Dan a call when these are at the end, again no noise or creaking from them yet but reading above I'm waiting!
Not what I was expecting from Bilsteins but you pays your money you take your chances, lesson learned.
I can see the smile on Dans face, lol I told you.

Regards Russ........

Yeah agree fully - way too soft for track use

I wish these threads had been about a year ago and saved myself £800+ *sigh*

I've decided to just keep using mine for summer as it's still a LOT of fun for a weekend thrash to the seaside - then I'm gonna send them off to be refurbed in sept/oct when the car is off the road, sell them on and buy some AST's
Wish I'd done it properly the first time round lol

172/1.2/E30
The regular Bilstein's/H&R's/KW's are all made for road use. If you want to have a proper track coilover, they have their own motorsport/clubsport division.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I think a lot of debates on this discussion should be looked at tyre usage on suspension setup. I noticed with having B14's on my car that standard road tyres (pe 3's at the time) had just too soft tyre walls for track days. The give was in the tyre which made the suspension feel too soft (I could actually see the tyre wall giving on my track day photos). Since changing to R888 the car feels solid. I am yet to try it on track but on the road it feels a lot stiffer??

Evo 5 RS
lol at people saying they're too soft for sprint and track work. THEY'RE NOT COMPETITION COILOVERS.

And in their defense, when they're not knocking they're spot on. Tis a shame

lol at people saying they're too soft for sprint and track work. THEY'RE NOT COMPETITION COILOVERS.

And in their defense, when they're not knocking they're spot on. Tis a shame

Yes I know they'er not for COMPETITION , I wanted something that I could drive to events on and not have to mess about with on arrival as I've always done, I'm also limited to list 1A tyres, the idea of the reply is to let people know how I found them at my first event on them and was suprised at how soft they were, as I said I've used Bilstein on all the cars I've run and they were fine. I'll leave it at that.
Just to also let you know I'm one of the few who drive to events in Rd going and don't turn up with a trailered car as quite a few do, so that's the compromise for me
Regards Russ......

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So it's the Billies! My brother has had this problem for ages on his R32 Mk4. He doesn't have the luxury of being able to send the shock to Bilstein tho as he's in Abu Dhabi so he's having to buy a new set!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I have always wondered about people saying their too soft, front springrate is 75N/mm right?
some experienced trackdayers run i think 80N/mm which is next to no difference, could this all be down to damping?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I don't find mine soft at all if anything the front springs are too hard comparative to the rears. I bought mine as a stop gap before getting some Reigers but I'm so impressed with them for the money I cant justify buying the Reigers until these start giving me trouble. 4 years in and no troubles yet but I am using different strut casings to the ones supplied.

As stated though it is road suspension, it just so happens that rallies are on closed roads so they work well enough for me.

2000 Renault Clio Rs
hey sorry to bring this thread up, but i just ordered a set of b14 coilovers from Ktec a few weeks ago, got them on 2 days ago, with full poly bushings, upgraded motormounts, and ktec front solid tophats....

about 250 km driven and the front left strut is creeking / squeeking. Seriously? Im in Poland and dont want to ship these out to get serviced after just 250km. Can I get warranty work on these?

2000 Renault Clio Rs
Contact ktec?
I did they said to take a video of the sound and email it to them and they'll contact bilstein for me incase of a warrenty issue

I'm first going to the shop that installed the coil overs and having them look over everything bc a ton of suspension parts along with all bushings where replaced along w the coil overs so something may be just settling.