ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 Coilovers for 172 Cup?

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Would this kit offer a substantial improvement over OEM dampers and Cooksport springs?

I say OEM dampers, but I suspect my current dampers are not made by Renault and in fact a cheap equivalent of an OEM product, which despite popular opinion means that I feel they are less capable than those originally fitted to the car at time of manufacture. I have never really got on with 'OEM equivalent' parts, and always feel there is a compromise on quality vs. cost. I've found this to be true in my experience with cars over the years, and I'd rather buy Renault own branded parts where possible, unless going aftermarket as in this case.

I am interested in damping quality and handling ability, and the capability to absorb bumps on B roads rather than it being low. In fact in terms of height I'd like it to sit the same height as it does currently on the CS springs and 'OEM' dampers. Thanks.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. I've recently gone from cup dampers and cooksport springs to b14's on my 182 and it's a revelation! Mine a bit too low atm and I get a bit of scrubbing on big compressions but the ride quality is miles better. I can see why they would be too soft for track work but imo they are perfect on our lumpy bumpy roads.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the b14s are that great tbh. I've run them for 4 years and tho better than h&r and ktec ones for road use they are too hard for road yet too soft for track.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Hmmmm, there is some differing advice here lads who do I believe?! :)

I don't want it too hard as I won't be using the car on track, I have Ohlins on my Megane and they're insanely plush and the rebound is amazing, I'm trying to recreate that compliancy on the Clio. It won't be sitting low so perhaps this will improve the rebound?

I don't want it too hard as I won't be using the car on track, I have Ohlins on my Megane and they're insanely plush and the rebound is amazing, I'm trying to recreate that compliancy on the Clio. It won't be sitting low so perhaps this will improve the rebound?

If your comparing to Ohlins you're going to be very disappointed

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
For on the road the B14's are a good set up, Kw V2 or V3 would be better, Gaz can be a tad harsh but are a good track set up. My current 182 track car was spot on with the B14's on the road but i need better for the track but that will be next year now

dan's cast offs.
deciding point may well be what ones are damping adjustable and what ones can you set preload without ride height.

answer to that one is as simple as a bc ?

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
I run b14 on my rally car. They’re perfect for what I need them for. Shame you can’t change the damping but it’s a lot easier to know what the cars going to do not having that option. I wouldn’t say they’re as soft as people make out but it might be down to the tyres I run being better than your average track day tyre where the softness of the cook over helps leaning on the grippy tyres. A rock hard car isn’t alway best

Audi S3 & 172 Cup

I fitted new B14s to my 172 Cup in 2010 purely because I wanted to start getting into track days and wanted something that would be better suited to track use over the standard setup but still be usable on road. IMO they were perfect for this but for road use only and if you're looking for compliancy, I don't think you'll like them, they're too stiff for this.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
I fitted new B14s to my 172 Cup in 2010 purely because I wanted to start getting into track days and wanted something that would be better suited to track use over the standard setup but still be usable on road. IMO they were perfect for this but for road use only and if you're looking for compliancy, I don't think you'll like them, they're too stiff for this.

Ok thanks a lot dude.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
They are stiffer than the cooksport springs. For a coilover kit they are one of the best road coilovers you can buy and are well protected against the weather. We can run a softer front spring on BC kits but not many of my customers do that, usually going firmer. A 7kg front spring from BC will match the Bilstein front spring rate and you can then dial the damping to full soft when commuting.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Is there an option to simply upgrade the OEM dampers and retain the CS springs, I'm thinking back to Saxo days when I had Billy dampers and H&R springs, was fantastic and compliant.