ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 v's BC coilovers

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
About to purchase one of these kits, have been told the build quality of the Billies are awesome and give a great feel both on and off the track, some say can be a bit soft... Have been told the valving is superior to the BC but the cons are no damping adjustment and the height is adjusted by the spring platform unlike the BC which allows adjustment by shortening/lengthening the actual length of the coil over leaving the spring well alone. Also had damping adjustment... aaaaaahhhh really stuck which way to go.

I use my car mainly on the road but try to get over to the ring as much as I can, going in June again, currently run Koni adjustables with eibach sportlines..

Any help?

Last edited:
  ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
Fitted my kit today!

83F6FD1E-5255-4F75-AFAE-F0E89207F339.jpg

EF172D38-CB18-4837-81F3-1CC2CB7694D6.jpg

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I have found my Bilsteins excellent, done a fair few miles now and they have been great on road and track. To give you an idea of ride height and them working hard on track a couple of photos;

Llandow_4_zps40e02a48.jpg

13275735074_4d48214000_c.jpg

I have heard the BCs are very good, but never been in a car with them, so can't comment on that front I am afraid.

172cup
This experience was not with a clio but with an mx5. Bilsteins are well built, mine were fitted over 5 years ago and still in good condition when I came to sell. I had them set-up professionally twice, the second time being night and day compared to first set up. So I would say make sure you get them set up well to suit you. With saying that if the bc allow adjustability I d be interested to see how they work.

gaz wise, lots of mx5 owners run these. They are used in various mx5 race series as the control suspension component - also well made.

Bilsteins are very good for the money. Leagues above the likes of Gaz and SPAX. The key to getting them good is corner weighting. My Monaco was on bilsteins, RARB, and PE2's. And caught and out handled a cup that was caged and on r888's with Gaz suspension at Bedford last year.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Bilsteins are very good for the money. Leagues above the likes of Gaz and SPAX. The key to getting them good is corner weighting. My Monaco was on bilsteins, RARB, and PE2's. And caught and out handled a cup that was caged and on r888's with Gaz suspension at Bedford last year.

Nice, with corner weighting would it completely throw it out if I take a passenger?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I have found my Bilsteins excellent, done a fair few miles now and they have been great on road and track. To give you an idea of ride height and them working hard on track a couple of photos;

Llandow_4_zps40e02a48.jpg

13275735074_4d48214000_c.jpg

I have heard the BCs are very good, but never been in a car with them, so can't comment on that front I am afraid.

Nice one

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Coming from the Evo world, BCs are absolute trash, poor performance and just don't last, famous for knocking. I wouldn't take them as a gift!
Willo has experience from his scooby amd rates them enough to put on his cup.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
minto has BCs on mickkPM old car. That handles well.

But Gaz are good for the money, £475 for a full set of coilovers all round. Weeksy will sort you out.

I was in this situation recently and went for the AST sportline 1, should be a couple of weeks I hope. Had I not gone for them I'd probably have bought the Gaz.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Beauty of Gaz is the fact they are cheap to refurb and turnaround time is good.. One of the lads got ASTs and although he loves them hes spent so much time taking them on and off and back to have work done its not funny..

RS Clio 172 Cup
Yep. Loved the BCs on my Scoob and livin them on the Clio.

Never had an issue in 5yrs and they have been on around 30 track days and sprints in the Scoob and 5 track days and sprint in the Clio so far

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the input guys, was pretty set on the billies from the start and seeing this has given me more confidence with the decision. Will review once fitted.

If anyone wants my Koni adjustables and Eibach sportlines drop me a PM £300 in very good condition... Will put them up for sale in the for sale section as soon as I get some pics and make the order for the billies. Cheers

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I've had Bilstein's on mine now for a couple of months, and I would easily reccomend them to anyone. The ride is superb perfect for the road, as for track I've yet to try them out. CSF will be their first outing, and I hope they wont disappoint as I've heard a few people say they can be a little soft for track work.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
@dann2707 maybe more helpful
I was not apparently! Didn't get your tag haha

Ive done a fair few track days in the billies now and they're pretty decent! As said though a little soft but not bad by any means.

For a car that does 80% daily driving and the rest track they are incredible. They're comfy, great on long journeys and feel like they're made well and built to last. With all my other handling mods they really are perfect for a fast Road car.

My advice would be to get coilovers covers for them though as I haven't and they are looking really tired.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I was not apparently! Didn't get your tag haha

Ive done a fair few track days in the billies now and they're pretty decent! As said though a little soft but not bad by any means.

For a car that does 80% daily driving and the rest track they are incredible. They're comfy, great on long journeys and feel like they're made well and built to last. With all my other handling mods they really are perfect for a fast Road car.

My advice would be to get coilovers covers for them though as I haven't and they are looking really tired.

Wonder if anyone can refurb them? You'll love them at the ring mate, will be interesting to see if you'll get the spring on the o/s/f completely compressed and banging on the carousel... Was my only gripe!!