ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bin the eibach Pro-kit ?

ph2 172
I put eibach pro-kit springs on a couple of weeks ago, and I don't think I like 'em. On a good surface they're fine, I was very impressed with how they performed when I took a trip up the A7 last week. However most of my "fun" driving is on poorly maintained B roads, and here's where I have a problem.

One of my favourite local scratching routes is a little used unnamed road with a series of 6 sharp bends snaking up a steep hill, the road surface is awful, the cambers are all over the place, it's great fun. With standard suspension my clio loved this hill, it hunkered down and felt incredably responsive, it kept is lines well, even when skipping over the poor surface and the adverse cambers, while doing it's best to ignore them. With the eibachs the responsiveness has gone, the initial turn in to any corner is soft, too soft, then you can feel the suspension working overtime to keep the tyres firmly glued to the road, which it does very well. However it feels like my spings have been replaced with bags of cats, all fighting to keep their own corner on the ground, and sod the other three.

I'm no expert with car suspension, but my impression is that with the eibach's on the suspension is under-damped for this type of road, is this right ? and is there anything I can do about it other than return to standard springs ?

When I fitted them to my old 172, I found they were possibly a bit softer to begin with, but firmer the further they travelled. I presume it's because they are a progressive spring.

Although, I never found them to be worse than the standard set-up. Although, I never drove on bad road surfaces like you describe.

The main difference I found, was a road I travel on, high speed, with some slight bends, and then one which needed brakes. On the standard springs, by the time I had to brake, the car felt "floaty" and like it was wobbling, where as with the pros, it felt much better, and controlled.

Vw caddy tdi
Ive been told to try prolines in the front with standard rears by someone who used to sprint class ph1's?!?

53 Clio's & counting
how old are your shocks bud?

iv just fitted pro's with new std shocks and its alot better than standard, especially on b roads which seems the opposite to yours, have you had your wheel alighnment checked? i had mine done at work and its made a big difference

ph2 172
The shocks are the original ones (never been changed, so 4yrs, 25k miles), but I did check them over when I fitted the springs and they looked fine.
Alignment hasn't been checked yet, as I was waiting for the springs to bed in.

Clio Sport 2.0 16v
You have lowered your car but not changed the dampers. I have recently fitted Yellow Koni dampers after I experienced the same problem as you did. The lowered springs need sport dampers when you need more than an average ride... It is even so much better,that next time I always change the dampers too!

Clio 172 ff
He's on eibach pros, not sportlines, so there's only a very minor drop and pro lines usually very well with standard dampers. They do so on my car and on many others.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Prolines are very, very good. Give them a few weeks to bed in, then get you tracking etc done, and it will feel better than standard (especially at speed).