ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bit of advice needed

this is 4 a mate of mine, he went to a local tuning company asking about cams they advised him to buy the piper rally cams as they would be ideal for hs corrola gti the shop told him they would come on cam at 2800rpm and go till 7000rpm, he spent a lot of money buying them and gettng them to fit them. They incountered problems that the car wouldndt idle correctly and so they chnged the timing i think so it would but now its very flat bottom end and it only really picks up at 5500rpm-7000rpm which he is not happy with. piper have agreed to reprofile the cams FOC as the garage now say to use the full potential he needs throttle bodies which he carnt afford! but the garage want half the money agin to finish the job on the car, is this their responsibility as they advised him on the wrong cams to do it for free? oh and the garage in question is ABP:cry:

What corrola GTi?

If its any AE82/86/92 then itll be using the 4a-ge. But to which cylinder head casting is using would be hard for you to check as Toyota changed the valve cover relative to the castings in the later life of the big port which makes it confusing and you need to check the block casting.

ANyway, the 1.6 16V is peaky by nature and making the cam profile any wilder than std WILL move the power band higher. I dont really think the std small port one cam on at 2800rpm anyway. Running lumpy cams with the plenham will always result in a lumpy idle and its something you have to live with unless you want to resort to ITBs.

It was his choice of cam, his first mistake in not knowing what he was looking for or what it would entail. Ofcourse, its the responsabiliy of the company to set them up and getting a wilder cam and retarding it to cure the lumpy nature is a waste of a cam.

A gas flowed head will help cure the lack of a low down pull and help peak power aswell.

Hard to say as they only advised him and its one of those tuning things. You dont gain anything without loosing something.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

some really extreme cams will only work with throttle bodies.your supplier should have told you if this was the case though.eg-the top kent cam only works with throttle bodies

give us the cam grind and ill have a look.

They all will work with a plenham, just really lumpy cams have flow reversion and pulse problems which interfere with the other cylinders.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

when i rebuilt my mates 16v he couldnt have the top cams because kent said youd never get it to run properley without throttle bodies

so jay do u do little (big) jobs?? if so for example how much would you chrge for engine rebuild nd to fit set of cams to a valver? rough price...

Oh and BENR i sorry mate i aint very technical and uptodate with terminolgy...

give us the cam grind and ill have a look. didnt understand word of that do you mean the reground cam??

plenham and whats one of these? LOL sorry i dumb:oops:

these cams probably have a really long duration and probably a big overlap between inlet and exhaust, meaning that while it will help fill the cylinders higher up the rev range, it is always going to ruin low speed running and produce a very lumpy idle. Agree in that its probably a poor choice of cam for a road car. Have they played with verniers to try and coax a little more out of her lower down, but despite playing with the cam timeing, you are probably stuck with poor low speed running

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 20 November 2003

Anyway, the 1.6 16V is peaky by nature and making the cam profile any wilder than std WILL move the power band higher. I dont really think the std small port one cam on at 2800rpm anyway. Running lumpy cams with the plenham will always result in a lumpy idle and its something you have to live with unless you want to resort to ITBs.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/combustion/people/marek/itb_quad.htmhttp://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/combustion/people/marek/itb_quad.htm

Eh?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I was being my usual stupid self

i thought you meant

Interstage Turbine Burner (ITB)