ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bl**dy floods

Cup Packed FF200
Really peed off, I had to drive through a small flood last night (only about a foot or so deep (perhaps more, hard to tell) and it's ripped my front number plate off :dapprove:

Off to get a new one now, I only fitted that one a few months back.:dapprove:

To add to matters there is a bit of condensation now in both the headlights, I'm assuming some of the water has managed to get in the back, even though there sealed by the rubber covers, its not meant for that amount of water, there were huge waves as I was driving through so I'm not suprised that in some places the water rose pretty high. :dapprove:

I'm thinking get the bulbs out of the headlights and try and get a hairdryer to blow some hot air in to dry them out.

Great way to start Monday:mad::mad::mad:

BMW E46 330i Touring
A foot deep? Sod that, I'd find another route or just go home!

Some people have ridded headlights of condensation by sticking a hairdryer into the back of the units.

RB 200 Cup!
quade's brother adam had his splitter ripped off his P1 last year in the floods! he was not impressed lol!
was your number plate glued on then i presume?

i take it tho you have to hit the water with some force

5mph FTW imo

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Best way to remove condensation (This is what our dealers do on sale cars) Wrap the front of the lamp in Baking foil and switch lights on, if its alot of condensation the a hair dryer on the foil will help.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
remove both the covers on the back of ur headlights and leave the lights on, that way the condensation can escape out through the back

Monaco RS Clio 172
have had some encounters with these..

does anyone else use the same rule as me?

stop, 1st gear, 3k revs all the way thru slow as hell but quite high revs... to prevent it from going up the exhaust?

my mother had a ford puma engine killed by a flood, drove thru, sucked in thru air intake, big bang.. new engine jobby.

a foot deep is excessive tho. I doubt I'd go thru that.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Theres a lot of lying water on the outskirts of telfordand shrewsbury also

Walcot weir looked ready to pop this afternoon

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I wouldnt go out in it atall to be safe, id rather tell the boss im not well than have to start replacing engines and number plates and f**k knows what

Staying in Scotland ftw!

In between cars....
Your lucky the number plate was the only victim, my wee brother took his 206 gti 180 through ten inches of water the saturday night to get home, bus passed him the other way, tidal wave, load of water got sucked in, needs a new engine now :(

Cup Packed FF200
I'm so p*ssed now.

the number plate was held on with self tappers, but pretty small ones, just guessed the weight of the water forced it off.

Done that today anyway but thats not the main problem. Ive dryed the lights out but the spots look f*cked. I'll have to get them off and dry them out. :mad::mad:

Plus I think I'm going to have to get a new headlamp anyway, whilst taking the bulbs out to get the hair dryer in I found on the one headlight unit that the silver unit inside was just 'flopping up and down'. It had come off the electric/manual adjuster spline, but even when I put it back on the little ball and socket(very fidly) the whole thing is still really loose.

If I get the lights off does the glass separate from the unit, or is it glues/sealed? If so I may be able to fix it?

I take it the bumper has to come off aswell to get the headlamps out??

S4 Avant
I had to go through floods last night, River Derwent has flooded all down the A6 :(

On the plus side though, I had my cold air feed relocated just below the passenger headlight for just these situations. Wouldn't have liked to have been driving along there with the CAF hanging out the bottom of the bumper. Stuipd bloke who owned/crashed my clio.

Edit: My plates are held on with the heavy duty velcro, does the job really well

Cup Packed FF200
ok, spot lamps was an over reaction, they've cleared :eek:

and headlights have all dryed out fine:), just the fact that the height adjuster is knackered now on the one, which must have been like it for a while.:dapprove:

If I can't get the glass off to see whats broke inside it will have to be a new headlamp:(

does anyone know if the glass comes off or are they sealed units??

320d
I had to drive through a small flood in july (crappy english weather) and it ripped the plastic radiator protector off. Went back on easily though, only went through very slow aswell.

BMW 323i Coupe
I went through a flood by accident in my old Corsa because it was dark and hidden in quite well. Hit it with some force and the car astroplained through it, luckily not spinning out of control, but left the car with flooded plugs. :(

clio 172
RE; water in the body work

i gotta clio 172 ph2 2002 was drivin out of my estste and it sounds like water sloshin up and down the passinger side bodywork:mad: french a??
any ideas where its comin from and how to get rid of it??
cheers

320d
I've ripped the under engine cover off in a deep flood it only unclipped but I had to re attach it in pitch black and a bad downpour.

A money pit
I've done similar, thought the water wasn't deep then saw it coming over the bonnet when getting to the other side. What didn't help was the waves being created by 4x4s going through the water like it wasn't there. There were 2 cars stuck at the outer edge of the water that failed to make it, one being a clio and the other a fiesta. Barely got traction to pull through, then when I got to work I noticed my number plate had gone, the underside engine cover was just hanging on, the radiator had collected all sorts of rubbish. Oh and on the way home I could hear some sloshing sound when turning corners. Suffice to say after a few days that sound went and all is good.

Next time I will find a different route!

Titanium 182
Riding the clutch on 4k rpm doing about 2-3 mph through deep water ftw.

(The higher RPM keeps it out the exhaust, or so I have been told - worked anyway)