ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Clio turbo

Fiat Coupe 20VT
Hi all - I'm from the Fiat Coupe forum (www.fccuk.org/forum) - just thought I'd show my face over here and ask about a black Clio turbo that I came across on Saturday evening on the A46 near Coventry on the way home from the F1 qualifying on Saturday.

I had already had some sport with a 225TT (anihilated him), a 350Z (blew him away) and a Ferrari 360 (he gave up at the top end of 5th gear). However, the short but sweet dice with the Clio was by far the most entertaining of the day.

I came up behind a very clean looking black Clio - twin exit exhaust and a discreet turbo badge. My son and I discussed whether the car was just a turbo wannabe or the real McCoy.

Traffic cleared in front of the Clio and off it went. By this time, I was in no doubt about its credentials - VERY fast little car.

So - if the owner is on here, don't feel too bad about being overtaken by a Fiat Coupe - I guess you thought you were going to drop me (you certainly would have done if I was standard - 220bhp and 155mph top end). I'm running about 400bhp, so the Clio would have had to be something really special to stay ahead.

Any specs on the Clio - would be interested to know

Good forum BTW - nice to see a well-moderated forum - makes for a much nicer environment than some of the other boards

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I think that clio is around 309bhp+, if it was a black 182 on a 54 plate.

I think the chap is selling it also.

Saxo VTS
Hmm could be Flans old VAG turbo effort.

Was it a Mk1 or Mk2 Clio? If it was a Mk1 then it's quite possibly a car that belonged to a lad called Flan (don't think he posts here) which he sold and was bought by BBPeformance Tuning or summat.

Could be a different car though.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
it will be dave3141 its about 270 ponies it was for sale last time he was on here. he is banned now. not sure on the full spec. shaun is the one with 309bhp.

bet your car must fly oh and welcome mate

TeZ

Non RS : (
"Ferrari 360 (he gave up at the top end of 5th gear)" Wash your filthy mouth out now.....

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like you had fun. This one?

DSCF0031.gif

Renaultsport Clio 197
i've seen a audi s3 beat a ferrari 355.
the s3 had roughly 400 bhp.

so, it's not impossible that this fiat actually gave the ferrari a hard time, but certainly the ferrari would be faster after 4th gear or smth...

Meg on pistonheads £6995
or the badge?

I'd say a 'tiny' turbo on the doors (same style as as Laguna GT badge) would look better!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
i've seen a audi s3 beat a ferrari 355.
the s3 had roughly 400 bhp.

so, it's not impossible that this fiat actually gave the ferrari a hard time, but certainly the ferrari would be faster after 4th gear or smth...

Why? A 400bhp coupe will have more power and is lighter i beleive. They also have very good aerodynamics. If i had to bet my money would be on the coupe on a straight line blast.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
a 2.0 will start to run out of puff where as the ferrari will be coming into its stride and start to pull like a train, especially after 100mph all the way to 180+mph, off a slow rolling start wiuth him in the wrong gear or him not trying, you might be on parr other than that i dbout it

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe. A coupe will pull hard and its probs a 6 speed too? I know they'll do 180 too with the right mods..

Nippy white cup
I agree with Tom on this. A lighter car with same power and I would assume a fair bit more torque would/should be quicker. Just because its a ferrari doesn't mean its invincible (cue the "I know what car I'd rather have" comments) :rolleyes:

Chris

Nippy white cup
400bhp Coupe

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 400
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1307
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 310.96
0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.35
0 - 100 (Secs) : 9.21
60 - 100 (Secs) : 4.86
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.55
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 116.73
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.35
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 118.87

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 400
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1390
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 292.39
0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.15
0 - 100 (Secs) : 9.19
60 - 100 (Secs) : 5.04
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.35
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 115.90
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.25
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 117.22

Very close but those figs don't take into consideration the torque...about 275ft/lb for the 360..not sure on the fiat but I would imagine it would be 350+ which makes all the difference. R34 Skyline with 276bhp is 174bhp per ton..not much difference to a 182 but would you be close to one...I doubt it lol

Chris

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It says 355 so only 289 bhp per tonne...;) not much but means its less. lol! Also as you say @ 400bhp that coupe will have a big tubby and will have a big torque figure.

Fiat Coupe 20VT
Yes - that was the Clio - cracking little car (must be a handful in the wet though)

Some stats for you

My Coupe runs 405bhp and 340 ft-lb

Fully kitted it does 0-60 in about 5.3 and 0-100 in 10.5. Best standing quarter to date is a 13.0 @ 117mph (on road tyres at full pressure) Top end is currently "unknown" but at last years Ten of the Best, I was doing 155 across the top speed line (standing start, 1 mile straight). I'd only just changed into 6th gear at this point. Speedo was reading just over 160, so remarkably accurate (probably due to my slightly oversize wheels)

I've since had an indicated 180+ and it was still creeping up. Its geared for just under 200 at the rev limiter.

Spec is:

garrett GT2871RLS
Forged pistons, gapless rings
Flowed head and matched exhaust ports
3" downpipe running into 2.25" Supersprint with decat
Live mapped ECU running 384cc injectors from a Walbro 255l/h pump
Blitz boost controller, running 1.6 bar peak
ProAlloy front mount intercooler
Ramair filter

Also lots of handling and braking mods

the car is a 30,000 mile a year everyday commuter, but also gets used on track and at Ten of the Best (came third in the FWD handling last year on road tyres)

Mine is currently the sixth most powerful Coupe in the country. There's three in the high 400s, one at just over 500 and the latest has just cracked the 600bhp mark

As for beating the 360 - it was pretty even through 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, but he obviously couldn't take the pace and baled out at about 150. I dare say if he'd kept his foot in, we would both have stuck together up to rather more silly speeds.

I'm a realist though - if it had been a twisty road and the driver had the skill, it would have been a very different story. I was fortunate enough to own an F355 for a couple of years and the way they go round corners is a world apart from any FWD car.

However, there's a perverse satisfaction to owning a sleeper ( as the DB9 and the 911 will both testify a couple of weeks ago :rasp: ). I'd guess that the Clio turbo will embarrass stuff twenty times the price. Something like a 911 Carrera would probbaly have to work very hard indeed to keep up and a Boxster would be a small spec in the Clio's mirrors very quickly.

cheers for the welcome chaps - seems this forum is just as busy during work hours as FCCUK is ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst your here. Whats needed to get a 20v to 300+ bhp? What tubby is on them standard? T28?

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
How much are looking at for good cond late Fiat Coupe?

Also what was the last year they made them on?

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
If this didnt have 100k on i'd go take a look. I think they look damn sexy!

197944-1.jpg

I like that!!!

Some do look a bit naf.

But for the bhp potential for your pounds, it's hard to do better for an everyday car which doesn't cost to run like an Evo.

TeZ

Non RS : (
i actually like the sprint blue ones tho with a low spoiler(runns of the boot) also lowered with black rims i likeeeee

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
'.................baled out at about 150. I dare say if he'd kept his foot in, we would both have stuck together up to rather more silly speeds.'

more silly speeds??! u little monkey.
and i got proper sl@gged off on here for simply asking advice on being caught doin 50 in a 30!!!!

Fiat Coupe 20VT
in answer to your questions

20VT runs a T28 as standard

There are two ways to get a 20VT to 300bhp. Quickly or reliably.

a simple chip (we have our own chip guru) will get to 250 bhp - £35

Boost hike (1.2 bar) and filter will give another 20bhp.

After this, you need to be careful with fuelling and intercooling and also the fact that the standard turbo is well outside its efficiency island

next up is a hybrid or roller bearing turbo - £500 - £750 - this will get you to 300bhp.

So, to do it reliably, you need - turbo, intercooler, chip, filter, boost control and probably an exhaust.

values - a well looked after 20VT can be had (from an FCCUK forum member) for about £3,000+. VERY good ones go for £5k and the very latest (MY2000) about £7k - £8k

100,000 miles is NOTHING on a well looked after 20VT - many have done over 100,000 miles - mine's done well over 160,000. We have several over 200,000

And you're right - its a marmite car

Personally I love the looks and the sound (sounds like an early Audi rally car) and of course the performance.