ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black fur in the throttle body and 2 eroded electrodes

172 Cup
car started feeling abit under powered and very lumpy on idle so decided to change the plugs and give the throttle body a clean, this is what i was presented with: -
Image213.jpg

Image216.jpg

Image218.jpg

it was like fur and very thick, clearly coming in through the breather on the hillpower bend, so took them both off and gave them both a good soak in carb cleaner and a good scrub.

then I moved onto changing the plugs, I call No. 1 the one closest to gear box, plugs 1 and 2 both had eroded electrodes as can be seen in the pic, new one on the right (obviously). plugs had done 52k running standard map (now got rstuner map) with viper and cat back, not always ran on 97+ (since rstuner map always run on 97+)
Image221.jpg

with the tb clean and new plugs its like a completely different car, pulls alot stronger and sounds alot deeper on vvt

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
guess them hill power bends are cack then, my old throttle body did't have no fur in it, maybe its that viper cack. how long u been runnign the 2 together ?

M

mini-valver

Running lean as fook?

It's not VVT either, that comes in from like 1200rpm. 5k "kick" is just the nature of the cams.......

M

mini-valver

Whys it melted then? Rich just made my plugs look sooty as hell but never melt!

M

mini-valver

I'm just trying to see if it's co-incidental that it's started since the map....

LY 182
looks like its running ok to me looks fairly normal wear wise too.
as for the crap in the breather keep it clear and clean every now and then.
i prefer my breathers to vent to air personally. would rather that then all the sh*t gumming up the inlet manifold.
ideal situation is a catch tank

I took my oil breather out i dont see much point in it other than maybe a bit of oil splosinh on the exhaust manifold

172 Race Car
my plugs and tb looked exactly the same at 52k. like u say different car when its all done

My mates 182 on 53k wasnt anywhere near as bad. Both cars totaly stock apart from itg panel in the 182

172 Cup
cool, cheers for your replies guys, nice to know that its a common thing with age/use.

my mate has a wideband lambda and gauge that he is going to let me borrow to make sure the fuelling is ok, i will post up results when done, probably sometime next week or week after

172 Cup
like fred said, i inspected mine and it was in perfect condition so re-used it, dont over tighten the bolts though when refitting