ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2 pannels in with the da - am I doing it right?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
After wanting to have a go at machine polishing for probably almost 10 years now, today is the day i finally attempt it.

I bought the machine a few months ago and have been collecting the pads etc ready to do it.

Before anyone worries about going straight at it without practice, im using my £200 dci as the test car.

Its working, because swirls have vanished and i can see a sparkle in the paint but what im wondering is if im applying too much compound?

The pad has gone quite flat after just 2 pannels, sometimes when finishing a panel the compount is starting to go powder like, if that makes sence Here’s some pictures...

Im using the menzerna 400 with the orange hex logic pad. I also have a medium white pad and a black finishing pad. After i have done the car with the menzerna 400 and the orange pad, i planned on going back over with the poorboys ssr and the white pad.
What are your thoughts?
0A80FFFD-CB6A-4C19-85F9-F79E55A31359.jpeg

680BF188-F235-4D3D-A64A-510580622CEF.jpeg

C96DC943-2D52-4E32-A3BE-301530F75B41.jpeg

35369DCF-102B-4475-9B4C-43A0E746C408.jpeg

0E9E6070-9FEA-4604-AA78-427558CA50FB.jpeg

P.s, before opening the da box, i prepped the car by washing, de-greased, iron x fallout stuff and a full clay bar, then re washed and dried with a brand new auto finesse towel.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
looks like your achieving some nice correction there, your prep sounds bang on...just make sure that you take your time and check over your work/correction frequently....(y).SJ.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
FG400 is pretty harsh. Have you considered trying a lighter cut compound as that may achieve the same result?

When I started out I was advised to start with the least harsh pad and polish combination.

Having said that, Renault paint is like concrete and FG 400 is a good starting point for it in my limited experience.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good so far, as above. 25% rubbing alcohol and 75% distilled water between each pass to remove the greasy film the compound will leave behind. The colour looks amazing on your dCi though!! Can't wait to give my Monaco a few passes!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
FG400 is pretty harsh. Have you considered trying a lighter cut compound as that may achieve the same result?

When I started out I was advised to start with the least harsh pad and polish combination.

Having said that, Renault paint is like concrete and FG 400 is a good starting point for it in my limited experience.

Thanks Ron, too late now its done ha!

I have gone back over the whole car again with the white pad and the SSR-2 and it was a different feel to the orange pad and the 400.

In at the deep end then, but I agree with the paint thickness as there wasnt any point where I felt concerned i was going to cause any damage.

It isnt perfect but it is so much better than it was. Probably the first time its been done and its a 15 year old car.

I found the SSR-2 very slick! Feels almost greasy but the paintwork is so smooth now to touch.

Still on finishing up now with the last couple of pannels and plan on applying a layer of wax to sea it all in after.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Got some IPA to wipe down after ? Gets rid of any remaining polish on the paint.
No mate i dont, its the only thing i dont have. Will it matter that I havnt done that? Not that im bothered on this but i will make sure I have some for when I do the 182.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good so far, as above. 25% rubbing alcohol and 75% distilled water between each pass to remove the greasy film the compound will leave behind. The colour looks amazing on your dCi though!! Can't wait to give my Monaco a few passes!

It really is a nice colour mate. Sometimes looks a matt purple but then when the sun hits it the blue flake comes out.

monaco 172
Makes me wants to buy a DA to have a go on my Monaco, but 200 is a lot to spent to use something once lol

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Makes me wants to buy a DA to have a go on my Monaco, but 200 is a lot to spent to use something once lol
I got the machine brand new for £65 and the pads and compound were £50 so not as much as £200. Worth it either way though and you can always use it on any car you get.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Re the powder issue, are you using any water on the pad? The tiniest of sprays goes a long way to stopping it going all powdery. It's a fine balance between that and ending up with watery polish on the panel though. You can get proper stuff for spraying on the pad but I've never had an issue just using water.

Also the pad going flat is because it ends up saturated with compound. You can usually bring it back by giving it a bit of a brush over. A toothbrush is usually good for it and it'll remove the polish sitting on the top of the pad and bring it back a bit. Will get to a point where it needs properly washed out though so always advisable to have a couple of pads if you plan on doing a whole car.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172

£200 for a decent polishing machine ain’t bad and you will be surprised how useful they are for bringing your car up to a concours level,I just invested in a new rupes Mk3[emoji1417]....
9bec31518449e8cb10180405a3959ba6.jpg

abc1d1ba6ae0fd3ea3b564a5ea3078a5.jpg

Their is 5 cars in my household and I have been detailing for over 19 years now so it’s a very worthwhile investment I understand members who just use one bucket and a squirt of washing up liquid all this extra cost on bright work can be alien to them...Lol. To the OP your cars paint work looks very much improved[emoji1417].SJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Had a go on the BG today.

Question i have is when polishing, do you keep going with the machine until paint is clear of polish or do you stop when there is still a haze and them buff it off with a microfibre?

I have left a haze and wiped away with a microfibre everytime so far.

Some pictures below but not great lighting.

A1A2B101-B674-432D-80BE-CA3B3A578DCC.jpeg
839AC2B3-1B5C-4CA1-B9C2-92B1511D366E.jpeg
0AD730F9-FDA5-450A-BE43-FE8DB1907A48.jpeg
2B0C4211-6960-4C9C-BF28-E88CDBA29FEE.jpeg
EE0CBFE9-9994-49B3-BFC2-BB31A0F2965B.jpeg
84ABCC9F-8BC5-4CA5-95CB-64AB443E4050.jpeg

I have only done half the car with just one pass using the orange pad and menzerna so hopefully it will look even better when finished going over again.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Also what rpm do people suggest?

Im not sure how it works, obviously i know the higher the speed the faster the pad goes but it there a standard speed you should stick at? I have been sticking to 4k for the above pictures.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The faster your machine is spinning the slower your arm movements are. The slower your machine, the faster your passes should be

That's what I've always stuck to and never left a hologram or trail yet.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Speed 5 on most DA's is good enough.

Those swirls you've just removed look to be from a poor wash or dry technique, so watch out for that and don't ruin your hard work after polishing.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Its just wash marring,the picture just makes them look worst then they are as the sun has got it lit properly, as above bad wash technique or drying.SJ.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Yea, its got really bad. Its been at a point for a long time now where it needed a da so i have thought it was pointless to even bother polishing by hand. It looked like it had no protection on it at all the way the water was lying on it. Will be sorted once i have finished with the da. The interior is still immaculate.

I think some of those swirls were from the clay bar too. The da took them straight out though.

Its going to need some welding doing at some poin as theres rust bubbles on the rear arch lip and the sill when opening the door has some big rust bubbles. Not sure what would be needed but i assume a full new rear quatre maybe? Until we get a new house with a double garage so i can store it, i wont get any work done.