ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Interior - Pictures & Steps

Clio :)
Tools Required

Material:

You can use whatever material you want, I opted for a Black Suedette and it is lovely, £2 a metre from a local fabric shop and I am more than happy with it.

Alcantara
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Alcan...Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM?hash=item518f3ef706

Suede/Suedette
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Suedett...Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM?hash=item2ea605031b

-------------
Glues:

Simple to use and very very sticky so watch your fingers as you don't want to leave marks on the fabric which you won't be able to get back out. I used the Halfords product which seemed better and cheaper than the 3m from Staples which I also got a chance to use.

Staples - http://www.staples.co.uk/office-sup...pe/spray-glue/spraymount-adhesive-spray-400ml

Halfords - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_206069_langId_-1_categoryId_165691

For attatching the lining back to the roof I used a simple No nails silicone formula as suggested by a local shop, something similar to the following -

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/...e-310ml-cartridge-white.asp?iCategoryID1=1009

---------------

Other Material:

Craft Knife
Scissors (Sharp!)
Scraper
Patience

Step 1 - Removal

I started by removing the interior reading light, just give it a little pull and it should come out - you do not need to remove the inner part which is screwed in.

You then need to remove the visors which are held in by a torx screw and after a bluddy good pull in which if your like me you will slightly damage the fitment.

Remove all the other grab handles (torx and a good pull) and you will also need the roof mounted seatbelt, a bigger torx piece should do the job.

Now with all the bits that are helping to hold the roof in place you can start by removing the sides which are held in by the sills and plastic parts.

Once that is done start at the front and ease the lining off the roof and work you way to the back - if yours is like mine then it is being held in two places by glue, a little at the front and alot at the back - If you get stuck by a tough piece of glue use a craft knife and then proceed to remove the lining (through the boot) and take it indoors or to your workstation.

Step Two - Cleaning

Using a sharp scraper (or craft knife as 2nd best option) remove the excess glue left on the back of the lining, it does not have to be perfect as when the new glue is put in it won't make a different. Also remove the excess glue left on the roof in the car.

Now I understand that some people remove the original lining and wrap the foam layer, I chose to wrap my Suede material over the existing lining because the material I was using was thin and to be honest is just seemed so much easier.

Step Three - Applying New Material

Lay the headlining flat and cut enough of your new material to allow a few inches of excess to wrap around the sides. You do not need to cut holes for the grab handles or interior light as you can do that after.

I started lengthways going left to right, it is much easier to do it in sections so you can make sure you get a tight fit and pressure out any air. You do not need to soak the lining in glue - I sprayed in lines covering about 70% of the area but if you want to you can do more. Once you have sprayed the glue - MAKE SURE that you wait at least 30 seconds till it gets sticky because if it is wet and you apply your material it will soak through and leave horrible white marks on the other side.

Don't rush and spend your time, the glue and material work well together so don't panic if you see a crinkle or two, just pressure it out. Spend extra time on the viewable lines I.E where the visors lay, the area where the interior light lays etc etc!

Once you have done the main part, you can cut into the holes for the light and the grab handles and either trim the excess or fold behind and spray a little glue. You can also do this with the excess around the sides , I sprayed mine down.

Let it dry for a day or at least a few hours, the holes that you made for the grab handles and light might cause air to get inside but this can be pressured out when the handles and light are put back in place!

You can now apply your chosen glue formula to the back of the roof lining (follow the old glue track) and put it back onto your roof, applying pressure for a few minute!

Results

img0856r.jpg

img0860t.jpg

img0861er.jpg

img0859jj.jpg

Other Bits:

Same Idea as above but just be abit neater :cool: I still have a few parts to do i.e middle pillars, glovebox etc so will post some pictures later.

img0719h.jpg

img0720g.jpg

img0721t.jpg

img0720g.jpg

img0722u.jpg

Hope this helps at least a few of you!!
img0722u.jpg

Last edited: