ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody Cups!

Now look here (good start).

Lots of 172/cup threads at the mo just to wind everyone up.

BUT who was it that said the 172 is good if you want a relatively warm hatch? now that may be true but the differences ARE minimal so therefore a cup would also be warm.

I drove both before buying a 172 mk2, I agree the Cup looks nicer on the outside but their not exactly hardcore on the inside. The ride is also too hard for an everyday car.

I noticed no difference in performance and would be suprised if a cup could lose a 172 on PUBLIC roads without taking risks.

so cup owners get over it - theyre great cars but so are the 172s

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 27 October 2004
LOL I reckon a williams could beat both!:p

in reverse

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

lol, the cups advantages in my opinion r only noticed on track..... But someone please close this thread lol

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Quote: Originally posted by redmini on 27 October 2004

BUT who was it that said the 172 is good if you want a relatively warm hatch? now that may be true but the differences ARE minimal so therefore a cup would also be warm.

I drove both before buying a 172 mk2, I agree the Cup looks nicer on the outside but their not exactly hardcore on the inside. The ride is also too hard for an everyday car.

I noticed no difference in performance and would be suprised if a cup could lose a 172 on PUBLIC roads without taking risks.

:confused:....??

Perhaps I shouldnt have posted this after all prob removing it may be a good idea before I receive death threats!

How much difference is there between a standard williams a std 172? cant be much?

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 27 October 2004

lol, the cups advantages in my opinion r only noticed on track..... But someone please close this thread lol
I wouldnt agree with that after following several Cups around the track but then I am not going to add fuel to the fire ! LOL !

Too hard for me personally doing 20 - 25k pa on dual carriage way, if it was all dry b-roads id prob enjoy the cup more. BUT they couldve put ABS on it even if it were switchable.

I know youll say you dont need it if your a decent driver but I disagree, I can brake much quicker without abs, but when you panic progressive braking goes out the window and you go STAMP closely followed by skidding tyres

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 27 October 2004

I wouldnt agree with that after following several Cups around the track but then I am not going to add fuel to the fire ! LOL !
dont remember seeing any cups in the gravel mate, you couldnt have been following them all the time;)

Agreed, Ive "done" a few cups round tracks before in the 172.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 27 October 2004

U could be in a metro and beat a cup! U nutter!!!!!!!! Feel sorry for your tyres!

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 27 October 2004

U could be in a metro and beat a cup! U nutter!!!!!!!! Feel sorry for your tyres!
Didnt want to be the one to say it but yeah the driver has a lot to do with which one is faster.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Agreed Pete, Ill be honest, if i raced pete around a track, me in the cup him in his 172, he would trounch me! Im only 18 and still learning the car, at the ned of the day its the driver, not the car....... I may have a car thats "potetinally" (sp!!!!) quicker around a track than his but hey, i drive like a girl :oops: ( compared to u nutters on here cough lee cough pete cough )

Only semi-bad thing on 172 is i find electronic gizmos cut in slightly too early to keep it in check, but its switchable so thats ok.

Dont get me wrong I love the cup but some owners seem to think they are a world apart, the way I see it

172 + driver = Cup + 2 Occupants

172, Tiguan

I think its fair to say Ive done quite a few 172s and 182s round a track. Infact, more than a few.

redmini, you say the Cup isnt hardcore enough, then you go on to say the ride is too hard for an everyday car......?

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

They r both great little cars at the end of the day no matter how much u compare them! End of story!

:D

They are both great cars and Id certainly be proud to own either of them. BUT Id sooner have a V6 - here we go again (no contest this time).

No I meant the Cup interior isnt exactly hardcore, the rest is about as hardcore as it gets for a road car in this price range.

If its all about speed why get rid of the xenons, a std 172 would have to win at night!!!!!!!!! but probably not with me driving!

Remapped derv Golf

The Cup handles a little better than the 172 mk2. People who have gone from a 172 to a Cupd 182 have said the newer car handles the corners better.

Thats why the 182 (cup pack) is the best of both worlds!

Why does everyone think a 172 is as fast as a Cup? I was looking at both cars before buying one and what sold the cup to me was the performance. Who cares about air con, we live in Britain.

I had a go with a 172 the day I got my Cup and I had another person in with me, he was on his own and I whipped him. I had to cut the power as I do not like going crazy, he was telling me to push it more.

At the end of the day half a second is a lot on the roads.

er was this just a fukin wind up, !! , not being funny but your a 172 owner that needs to get over it !!!!

ps just sold my cup and bought a 182 so unbiased opinion

No its not a wind up, I like both cars, but cant understand why so many cup owners seem to think cups are bags faster

anyway no point getting in an argument, I dont need to get over it I actually think the 172, cup & 182 are all over hyped, im chuffed to bits with mine but they arent as quick as people make out.

oh and as for whats the point of this post, whats the point of 50% of the posts on here? and what was the point of posting whats the point!!?

Quote: Originally posted by redmini on 28 October 2004

No its not a wind up, I like both cars, but cant understand why so many cup owners seem to think cups are bags faster

anyway no point getting in an argument, I dont need to get over it I actually think the 172, cup & 182 are all over hyped, im chuffed to bits with mine but they arent as quick as people make out.

oh and as for whats the point of this post, whats the point of 50% of the posts on here? and what was the point of posting whats the point!!?

From what I’ve seen from road and 1/4 mile a Cup is noticeably faster than a 172. If there is no difference between a 172/Cup the Cup aint a goodun (that old one) or the Cup driver cant change gears fast enough.

have to agree with you, im getting pretty sick of it all. At the end of the day the 172 and the cup are more or less the same car, granted the cup is lighter but there are so many variables i.e fuel load, engine condition, DRIVER, that the performance difference between the two is minimal. Even running the A/C has a serious hit on performance

Variable bit above is true for the likes of us lot on give and take roads you wont notice any difference between the two in my considered opinion.

It would take a race track and two evenly matched drivers to eek the small gap

Blue is best though;)

Id like to agree but I dont want to start the argument all over again and i spose -10% lighter must therefore be equivalent to an extra 17bhp on the cup?

But I might put go faster stripes on mine soon that should even it up a bit - oh and a cliosport sticker +10bhp and all that!