ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody ECU Business

Suzuki SV1000S

Right, I have telephoned R-sport and the guy there (jonathon) told me that it is not worth it on the mk1 172 because you lose power WTF.

Hill Power said he is having probs with the supplier and that there may be a price increase WTF

Power Engineering eeek is a Superchip and costs more than both,

Am in a dilemma peeps what to do

172, Tiguan

George, i think id save up for the PE remap.

At least thatll sort out the running lean problem for good. Save your pennies for a bit. Itll be worth it in the end.

Power Engineering lads (Actually Dave @ London Superchips + the RR operators) are a great bunch, had mine done a long time ago and it was great, good gains for the money, and later they did the fitting and mapping of my separate Omex ecu too - I trust them.

Suzuki SV1000S

Well Basically the PE remap is a Superchip mate, I think that I will be soughting something out with Andy at GDI for a rolling road tune rather than an off the shelf chip for clios on the whole.

Neil, I know they are the same just getting different views on them, out of interest what is yours and have you noticed major torque and power gains

George ive got an R-sport ecu that i got from hillpower on my mk1 172,along with a supersprint exhaust and hill ik and it definately makes a difference.Kept up with a 225 TT this morning up to 130mph and beat a mk2 172 with cams head etc,which is in driving tales"my 172-v-another 172"so it definately hasnt lost power.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 23 March 2004

Well Basically the PE remap is a Superchip mate, I think that I will be soughting something out with Andy at GDI for a rolling road tune rather than an off the shelf chip for clios on the whole.

Neil, I know they are the same just getting different views on them, out of interest what is yours and have you noticed major torque and power gains
The PE remap isnt a Superchip as in an off the shelf chip, its just done by the Superchip guys. It is a remap of the standard ecu and tested on the rollers and adjusted til its right.

Suzuki SV1000S

Oh, They told me they couldnt do it on the rolling road because they only had software for Subaru and Ford Cosworth engines - Strange!!!!!!

Bigdave, cheers mate, Still may go for that then, has it improved your torque dramatically and does the car still idle fine?

Im Very interested in this as well.

i dont think a bog standard chip will be good enough for what i need. Is there anywhere the will (not silly money though) put my car on the rollers and adjust the fuel etc on their. If there is then i imagine i could see some big power gains.

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 23 March 2004

BigDave whos 172 did you race? Where did he get his head work and cams done?
Neil i dont know who the guy is,reg is S** TOO,he isnt on here but a guy posted in driving tales that he knows him.

George,yeah torque feels better from lower down than before and it idles perfect at about 600rpms,also you get the added bonus of the rev limiter being higher so although i still try to change up at 7200rpm if im a split second later i dont lose time by bouncing of the limiter.

Im not saying this ecu is the only thing that has improved my car but it seems to work really well with my Supersprint race exhaust and hillpower ecu,another really good mod(not for power)is the B+M Shortshift,id recommend this to everyone.

Suzuki SV1000S

Right this is the Latest:

1. I can go for Andys SMT6 Piggy Back system, Which I think is probably the Daddy of systems because it will cost £600. Which Im not sure is worth it on my car for the extra 1/2bhp I get onto top of an off the shelf chip, But not entirely out of question.

2. I have thought about R-sport chip alot as it is the cheapest of all the chips as is designed by R-sport, However r-sport themselves have said it makes hardly any difference on the mk1 172s and is not worth getting, Plus Nick at HP said there is a price increase but doesnt know how much yet was supposed to be £252inc Vat.

3. I have been told by quite a few people (and I have rung everyone I can find a number of that do ecu chipping/remapping etc for advise) That the Superchip is really good on the mk1 172s. So this leaves me with two options on this one. 1. I can travel Ilford and have a superchip done, and then tested on a rolling road, £375+Vat which is about £440, But this seems alot of money for a superchip really. Other option is with this Guy in South London, which is also near me that will Drive the car firstly to feel where the flat spots are, then download the mapping from my ECU, and Download mapping from the Superchip ECU for my car compare them, Upload the Superchip ECU and then make addition changes where he feels neccessary, He also said he can increase Rev limiter etc up to me! All this for only £295inv Vat and Fitting etc, Am tempted by this one at the mo.

So if anyone has had bad experiences with Superchips please let me know, Before I get this done, which hopefully will be tomorrow unless Andy finds away for me to afford his one!

Suzuki SV1000S

Yeah have decided that Im going with him, Have booked in for this afternoon and so will let you know how it is afterwards.

Suzuki SV1000S

Well It is fitted but have had to come straight home because have some work to do before tomorrow.

But the drive back was very interesting.

Basically when I got there, was wicked, The guy showed me round his garage (the place is sanspeed by the way) and he had some rally cars in there on the rollers was madness sounded wicked though. Anyway first he reprogramming my current chip with just more fuel (3% more, I think) to check the running lean situation and it made the car much more responsive which was good obviously. Then he sent of the map of my current ECU with the added fuel bits, then he was talking with the guy at on MSN telling him what to change while the guy at Superchip adjusted it to how I wanted, which was wicked, asked where I want the rev limiter and everything.

Then he was emailed the new File for my ECU, Downloaded it and was off again for another test.

This could go on for ages, basically am happy with their service and am happy with results although havent been able to test fully yet.

Basically can notice a massive difference in Torque in low revs in 2nd and 4th and then a slight difference in all other ranges, But is much smoother and no flat spots. Also it revs much quicker now which is cool.

All in for £293 And I even get a little box with a chip in hehe

Nice to hear you finally got your ecu business sorted! been following your posts, as Im in exactly the same frame of mind too. shame the PE route wasnt as expected

im not planning many mods, but like to know what my options are and what road to go down. Sound like you had good results anyways - and the price is really good! where abouts is the place you went to based? Thats another consideration is distance to travel :(

good result mate

Andrew

Think its over Bexley/Dartford way.

When a, my car is back from reanult and b, when i have £293 I will be there in a flash!! (hehe get it, a "falsh"??)