ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blown Positive Terminal Fuse

Hi gang,

Hope everyone's had a merry Christmas.

I've been moving house and due to GSM screwing up my order and not getting parts to me, the car's been sat on the driveway for weeks on end and by the time I got it roadworthy and tried to start it this morning, I found the battery dead.
After faffing around and wasting time moving other stuff I did a hasty jump but in my rush put the leads on the wrong terminals like a spud - nightmare!

I'm not overly electrically minded, but I've read that there is a fuse in the positive terminal which I have more than likely blown and that this is only replaceable as pert of the complete positive lead.

However for the life of me I can't find one for sale anywhere. Does anyone know where might sell them or is it a direct from Renault job for a small fortune?

Cheers,

Dan

Okay more info - maybe it isn't the fuse. Maybe it's the immobiliser. (worse?)

Just been to have another poke around and check the battery terminals are tight - they are.
The central locking works, the wipers work.
The lights don't really work; sidelights are on in all positions but the main xenons flash very briefly when I turn to the dipped main position and are then immediately replaced by sidelights.
The window goes down as normal but goes up very slowly and in steps with the ticking of the solenoid.

As I said in the previous post, my knowledge is mostly mechanical, so where electronics are involved I tend to have issues.
But if some of the systems are working to some extent, does this mean it's more likely to be an immobiliser issue?
Or are the other systems not supplied through this fuse so it's status blown/otherwise wouldn't make any difference?

Any help appreciated on this as I am in the dark here and very much needing to transfer the car from there to my new house ASAP.

Cheers,

Dan

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Did you get the battery charged up or is it still dead or are you still jumping it?

After realising the mistake we hooked it up the correct way and left it charging for 10 minutes or more.
I don't know what I was expecting after that length of time, but more than nothing I guess.

Because I was taking the airbags out before I moved out, I had left the battery disconnected, so I'm inclined to think maybe it isn't flat?
However when I initially came to start it, before I suspected anything, it turned over once or twice before giving up.
Now nothing happens at all.
To those in the know, does this sound like more of an immobiliser issue, or am I dealing with a flat battery and/or blown fuse? Then if the latter - where does one get such a fused lead?