ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW Driving Day

BMW 330d :)
I was invited along to a BMW open day and allowed to drive a large selection of cars. I went last year but this year was even better as they had an m car to drive! Unfortunately a salesman accompanied me for the m3 but he didnt tell me to slow down once which was nice!

It was a stunning E90 M3 in white with the optional DSG Gearbox. After seeing it beside a coupe m3 I actually think I prefer the four door with its blistered wheel arches in the saloon body to the slightly more sleek coupe body, although you can be the judge of that with the pics below. ;)

I didnt think I'd like the gearbox over a straight manual but after a good drive I actually liked having the ability to swap from manual to full automatic when driving through town or crusing on the motorway. The shift speeds as well were lightening quick esp with the M button pushed on the steering wheel, which also notably stiffened the ride and put more weight into the steering.

Probably the first thing that really blew me away was just the sheer acceleration that the car had going off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway. The way it gathered speed was relentless and kept my head pinned into the seat, until I realised I had wimped out and only used about 3/4 of the throttle travel! When I put the foot all the way down it just reached another level of acceleration and the accompanying noise made me roll down my window for a listen!

I was sort of glad of having someone out with me as without them I would have probably either lost my licence or killed myself.

After a short drive along the dual carriageway i then went onto some back roads and with the m button pressed was really impressed with the cars body control round corners even though the ride had turned quite hard over the bumps. I didnt get anywhere near the cars limits and thought it wise to take it easy as the ground was a bit damp. One slight thing that disappointed me was the lack of feel through the very thick rimmed wheel. It was very direct and sharp but it felt a bit too isolated from the road.

Anyway enough typing I'll let you see a couple of pics I took of the outside of the car. Prob my fav spec and colour combo of m3 available!

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

To me they look far more butch than the coupe. The width of the arches is unbelievable. And its a bit cheaper to!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
prefer the coupe or convertible.

edit wrong one lol

Last edited:
  M135i
lurvley. Tho i'd have to have the coupe with the carbon roof!

What are these driving days? how d'you get on it? Sounds fun being given the keys to a m3!

lurvley. Tho i'd have to have the coupe with the carbon roof!

What are these driving days? how d'you get on it? Sounds fun being given the keys to a m3!

My mum had bought a 3 series over a year ago and got another invite to a driving day. It only seems to be for people that have bought one though. This is the second one i've been to.

You can buy a nearly new M3 for just over £30k, nearly-new GTRs like you say are near £50k though so big price difference IMO.

You can buy a nearly new M3 for just over £30k, nearly-new GTRs like you say are near £50k though so big price difference IMO.

Well if your nit picking, if you wanted a current m3 it wouldnt be anywhere near the age or condition as the gtr for the prices youve quoted above..