ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW F21 125d M Sport

BMW F21 125d
Yesterday I picked up my new mile munching machine. I've come from a MK6 Golf GTD so the replacement for me was either going to be the ever popular MK7 or one of these.

Having previously owned BMWs I was happy to get another as long as I could find what I wanted with a good spec, the build quality is there and I like that there aren't too many about, I've only ever seen one other 125d on the road. It's my first auto, this is sports auto with paddle shift so should hopefully be a nice compromise over a conventional manual. The gearbox is immense, it changes gear either so smoothly or so fast depending on what mode you are in.

Anyway, time for pictures, washed yesterday and it's frozen and been driven since so by no means perfect. I'm going to my local detailing mate tomorrow as he has suggested some sort of glass coat. I'm keen to keep it mint as its only 6 months old with just over 3k miles on it.

675d8beccb52d15d6c78246737ddd73d.jpg

87bce9dda0d2560c68d2ad89270985e9.jpg

b6027ed62667af06aaf3d7cec27e8b49.jpg

a76585ff0f5c22b23b29f023d6e35950.jpg

Will try and dig out the spec. It's an ex demo so is quite highly specced and has lost a massive chunk of value already of which I was quite happy about, it won't be depreciation proof I wouldn't expect it to be but someone else has already lost £10k on it!

Comments welcome.....

BMW F21 125d
Was driving it home yesterday and sod's law a stone got flicked up by a car I was overtaking on the M6 Toll and hit the windscreen, had only had the car 1.5 hours FFS... Hasn't cracked so will keep an eye and get it repaired, however it is quite close to the edge of the screen so may need a replacement.

Here's the spec.....

F21 BMW 125d M Sport 3-door
Semi Auto Sport automatic transmission
Alpine White
18" M Star-spoke style 386M alloy wheels
Black Dakota leather
Aluminium Hexagon interior trim
High-gloss Black interior trim finisher
M Sport Package
Driver comfort package (Servotronic Steering, Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear, Cruise control with brake function)
Interior comfort package (Extended Interior Light Package, Extended storage)
M Sport Plus package (Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi, Xenon Headlights, Sun protection glass, M Sport braking system, Headlight wash, Windscreen with grey shade band)
Media package - BMW Professional
Visibility package (Xenon Headlights, Rain sensor with auto. headlight activation, Rear-view mirror, auto dimming, Headlight wash, Adaptive Headlights, High-beam Assistant)
Enhanced Bluetooth telephone with USB & Voice Control
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Seat heating, front

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not to split hairs but, as per threads on here - are these more reliable than the M135i? They seem to have had the odd issue it seems?

Very nice btw!

From Parkers:

Engine Size 1995 cc
Cylinders 4
0-60 mph 6.3 secs
Top Speed 149 mph
Power Output 214 bhp
Valves 16
Torque 450 Nm 332 lb-ft

Track 172 Cup
Same as mine but 5 door and Silver lol was 3 months old when I bought it with 3,000 miles on (had it 11 months now still only has 10k on it) I paid £26k bought mine from a dealer it was the sales managers car (for 3 months anyway) went from a 335d coupe Auto and the new box in these is MILES better. I hate getting out of my track 172 cup and into this lol world apart when I'm used to the beemer although I wouldn't be half as bothered if I crashed the cup lol

3.jpg
10.jpg
2.jpg

BMW F21 125d
Not to split hairs but, as per threads on here - are these more reliable than the M135i? They seem to have had the odd issue it seems?

Very nice btw!

You'd be right in saying the N47 engine has had some issues, timing chain etc. Luckily however as this is a late build its out of the risky zone.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Aye I'd just seen some of the boys mentioning issues with their 135i's - that's not so bad then!
Fairly decent figures as standard as well! Like most modern diesels, that'll map well aye? probably 250bhp or so?

BMW F21 125d
Famous last words of course, but it's under warranty for a while yet if anything goes wrong. My golf was remapped and whilst it was faster the mk6 chassis wasn't great at handling the extra power, too much spinning up. However this is a BM so being RWD will obviously help. It's something I will look into but not yet, happy as it is for now. It doesn't feel outright fast but due to the sheer speed it changes gear it's deceptive.

Track 172 Cup
Not found anywhere that can map them yet, they only offer the tuning boxes (although I haven't looked for a while)

An orange one
I want your steering wheel :(

Great cars the 125d, I'd be willing to bet that when new it cost a bit more than an M135i which has most of that stuff standard, hence why they are so rare.

Amarok
Im ordering one first thing in the morning, hopefully the lease deals haven't changed with it being a new year! Have found a deal for £216 deposit and £216 a month for standard spec.

If you were to choose 2 options from standard. What would you pick? A lot of people say the M sport package is a must?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Im ordering one first thing in the morning, hopefully the lease deals haven't changed with it being a new year! Have found a deal for £216 deposit and £216 a month for standard spec.

If you were to choose 2 options from standard. What would you pick? A lot of people say the M sport package is a must?
M Sport + pack.
''M Sport Plus package (Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi, Xenon Headlights, Sun protection glass, M Sport braking system, Headlight wash, Windscreen with grey shade band)''
It's all you need.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Was driving it home yesterday and sod's law a stone got flicked up by a car I was overtaking on the M6 Toll and hit the windscreen, had only had the car 1.5 hours FFS...
Lol. That's not too bad, I had a brand new van for 5 days before writing it off haha.

Love the interior of the new BMW's.

work for BMW
very nice, looks very similar to my company car apart from mines a 118d, no M Sport Plus and No sports auto :(:(

amazing cars

Track 172 Cup
I love it in mine very rarely use the paddles or the gearstick like a sequential box (if you know what I mean) I prefer the S-Tronic in an Audi but only because its in this
1.jpg
2.jpg

Track 172 Cup

M Sport + pack.
''M Sport Plus package (Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi, Xenon Headlights, Sun protection glass, M Sport braking system, Headlight wash, Windscreen with grey shade band)''
It's all you need.

This the M-Sport package and either folding wing mirrors or heated seats lol but for the cost even on a lease get them both, I like the folding mirrors just hate the fact you cant fold them in above something like 10-15mph I like to fold them up if I'm squeezing through a gap or past cars missus Nissan Qashqai lets me fold them up at any speed.

Once you've placed your order can you please give a link to that deal, it looks very good

BMW F21 125d
Lovely motor. The F20/21 is so much better than the older 1 series. How are you finding the gearbox?

I love it in mine very rarely use the paddles or the gearstick like a sequential box (if you know what I mean)

I know I'm only in the early days of ownership but as this is my first semi auto I'm using the paddles as much as I can on shorter journeys. However I drove it most of the way home in full auto as that was 160 miles. Sports Auto is also good as it still changes for you but revs much higher than when in comfort or Eco-pro.

BMW F21 125d
I want your steering wheel :(

Great cars the 125d, I'd be willing to bet that when new it cost a bit more than an M135i which has most of that stuff standard, hence why they are so rare.

I think the new wheel with smaller air bag was only added mid 2014? I could see how the old wheel would block the view of some of the black panel with the airbag unit being larger.

I know what you mean about the pricing, this fully specced up brand new would have been £36,600!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I think the new wheel with smaller air bag was only added mid 2014? I could see how the old wheel would block the view of some of the black panel with the airbag unit being larger.

I know what you mean about the pricing, this fully specced up brand new would have been £36,600!
No one ever paid £36k for one though. There was 15% off 125d's.

BMW F21 125d
That's correct, discount takes you down to mid 31's and then with the delivery charge BMW charge and the other on the road costs it was just over 32 for a brand new one in spec. Even taking that into account I'm still happy in the saving I made.

An orange one
They are only single turbo AFAIK!! It's a twin scroll turbo which is where the confusion begins.

The twin turbo was dropped after the 123d as it never really gave very good MPG.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Very nice that mate. Probably a stupid question but how's it compare to the GTD?

BMW F21 125d
Very nice that mate. Probably a stupid question but how's it compare to the GTD?

I had my GTD remapped to around 200Bhp & 350 Lb/Ft so that made that alot better but the tyres struggled with the extra power. This has the same torque but more bhp (218) and being RWD naturally has better traction. The biggest difference is however the gearbox, GTD was manual where as this is the ZF Sports Auto. It changes gear so fast its obscene! Depending on what driving mode you are in its either super smooth or changes with a bit of a kick. The figures to 60 are 6.3 i think with the auto so its no slouch. I had my GTD for 23 months and put 30k miles on it and it served as a good car with only a couple of minor issues but I was ready for a change, the BMW is definitely built better using higher quality materials and as such there is less road noise, that said, i think the engine is a little louder (maybe a stupid sound generator?) and more noticeable when you haven't got the music on. Its my first car with stop/start which is bit eery when it all goes quiet but it can be disabled altogether and is only active in a few modes anyway. I'm still very much learning about all its features.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
They are only single turbo AFAIK!! It's a twin scroll turbo which is where the confusion begins.

The twin turbo was dropped after the 123d as it never really gave very good MPG.
I was under the impression that the 123 gave quite a decent boost in economy/emissions over the 120, ignoring the power/drive-ability aspect.