ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bolt just spinning (not cross threaded)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'm trying to change my rear exhaust hanger/bracket,
2 of the bolts unscrew fine but the third one just spins and won't come out.

I can feel that the locater nut is turning with it, i'm assuming these things are tac welded onto the chasis
and the weld has broken, i've tried getting some pliers on it through the hole in the backbox heat shield,
but it's round some I can't get a good grip.

Anyone got any ideas on how i'd get this out, or am I going to have to get a garage to drill the thing out?

If you don't know what i'm on about, it's the one on the right.

$(KGrHqUOKpgE5Y37EZ35BOd2lwigTg~~60_35.jpg

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Have you got vise grips? If so can you get in with a pair of them? If not could grind the head of the bolt, would think it would be easier than drilling it.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
You'd never get a grinder in the hole of the heat shield it's too small,
even if you could the backbox is in the way.

I'll try and get hold of some vice grips and see if that works.

This isn't a photo of my car but here's the hole in the heat shield,
which is the only way of getting at the locater nut that's not a nut but round.

5633862357_b2e26fb69e.jpg

Last edited:
  BG182ff,explod Focus
The bracket the the exhaust hanger is attached to can be removed.
From memory it's 4 M8 bolts holding it to the car body (13mm ratchet spanner should do it).
You should be able to get a good hold of the spinning part then.

When I had mine off I fitted longer bolts in from above and fastened them down tight as so that I have 3 bolts pointing down which makes refitting the hanger a piece off compared to the hassle of fishing around blindly trying to find the holes for the bolts to fasten in to.
Now I have a nut either side of the hanger holding it in place on the 3 bolts. If I want to adjust the height now all I need to do is loosen the top nuts off, spin the lower nuts up or down to the height I want and then tighten the top nuts back up again. Saves a lot of messing around with washers between the hanger and the bracket.

Clio II 1.2 16V
I've got mine to do, Gone in the same place as your, Not done owt to it yet due to all the rain. What did you use to get tho; to hole to get it undone.

Ph2 172
I had this very problem last week, just chisled the bolt heads off knocked the bolt up through and nut and bolted new hanger