ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bomber's Reliable Savage Supercharged Snorting Slut of a Ph1

Qashcow
Thourght id write a little about my clio 172 here. After so many problems with my previous Skyline, it was time to stay away from uber "reliable" jap scrap and get something i could drive and enjoy, rather than fix.

From this:
Picture014.gif

to purchasing the clio:
100_0586.jpg

Came as pretty much standard except for K-tec stealth exhaust with sports cat, Group N ECU and PiperX induction kit.

I struggle to keep things as standard so wasnt long until Apex 35mm Lowering springs were on there way to me. Yes i know theyre not amazing but 14months ago i couldnt forsee myself doing any trackdays......oh how times change:evil:
100_0725.jpg

100_0719.jpg

After a fecking huge pothole attacked me on the way to Wembley to see Muse, one wheel was damaged and all were in need of a referb anyway so looked at getting them powder coated.
Frankly, i got bored with the idea of waiting to get sand blasted then take them to the powderpeople, so off to halfords for lots of satin black and undercoat tins. Used some chemical metal in badly damaged areas on the spare wheel which is now my front wheel.

P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Then after looking at the pictures, you realise how w**k the huge number plate is on the front of such a small car so off with that and a 3/4 plate from fancy plates.

Added a Seat Leon Cupra R splitter too, cheaper and deeper than a cup splitter.

DSC00101.jpg

Plates been on there for 9 months now and not been stopped by the police for it, they didnt mention it either when i was stopped and acussed of doing 110mph in a 60. i wasnt, and they had no proof so let me on my merry way home for the slash i badly needed:S

Total Spent. Around £250 in total + car. happy driving as the GTR was costing me half that just in petrol a week:mad:

Next i cut off and removed the whole rear wiper assembly as it does my head in when reversing and the front wipers are on. i never use the rear window for reversing, im used to driving the traffic van without one.....
Bought a set of PH2 rear lights off jay (burp) a few weeks ago and fitted them also. makes such a difference to the rear end. in the picture you can see my mums 2 day old Campus sport and most of our other cars lol, still one car missing in the pic. doing our bit for Co2 emmisions lol.
DSC00290.jpg

Last week, having done 2 airfield days in Devon in November and March, i bit the bullet and booked myself in for the RS track evening at Bedford.

So after jay and i had fitted a set on Brembo HC's and greenstuff pads and new rear wheel bearing as the oldies were on the way out, i splashed out a little and ordered these on monday afternoon, they arrived on Tuesday morning
DSC00277.jpg

so from this
DSC00280.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

to this
DSC00286.gif

And as of this afternoon, my car is today how i want it to be. Will be removing the rear bench soon and fixing the harness further back on the lap straps at some point.

Ive called it project unknown direction as i dont know what im going to do it the long run. i really really really dont want to strip it and turn it into something i cant turn back to standard. mainly as its only just done 52k miles and is in such good condition but have 3 more trackdays planned for this year as well as track time at FCS so who knows. only time will tell.

Sorry its so long.....:rasp:

Last edited by a moderator:
  ValverInBits
Re: Project 172:Unknown Direction

woah, CD changer under drivers seat?? how did it get there ?

nice car

Qashcow

Tidy that, is it still great fun coming from the Skyline?

i only use the car for fun and the 5mile country lanes to my girlfriends house are so much more fun in this that the skyline. i miss the noise and straight line speed but value for money/fun the 172 dicks on it lol

yep, CD changer is standard. sitting in my garage now as i dont need it though

Qashcow

been on my first proper trackday this weekend with Renualt sport. heres a video after 3 laps of hard braking

th_P1020293.jpg

took the rear seats out too and now leaving it like this. the bucket seat is really comfy on short drives, bit of an ache on longer drives though.

P1020304.jpg

P1020307.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

those are the seats i was looking at mate. harnesses are lovely too

any details would be great, can i ask where from and how much please?

172 Race Car

You knob, you didnt tell me you had a thread going!

And what are these 'other' track days you have planned?

SchwepTek™

Looks really good mate. Still unsure about mine too! You still coming to Prescott? Wanna have a look at all your new mods!

Also, how you finding the brakes? Mine need replacing.

Qashcow

those are the seats i was looking at mate. harnesses are lovely too

any details would be great, can i ask where from and how much please?

seats are sexy as pie (i have fetishes lol). the harness rubs my neck a bit when wearing a tshirt, would get the 2.5" wide straps next time. got them from Merlin M'sport on next day delivery. cost too much lol, will PM you the price :D

PMSL, i forgot to say. but then its nothing compared to your thread so felt a bit insignificant:rasp:

well, i think im definatly doing the next bedford trackday, maybe another of the RS ones if i can afford it too. plus have you seen the very recent thread about Pembury trackday?:evil:

Qashcow

Looks really good mate. Still unsure about mine too! You still coming to Prescott? Wanna have a look at all your new mods!

Also, how you finding the brakes? Mine need replacing.

hell yea im coming to Prescott, i dont put my name down then not turn up:rasp:

ive re-worked the entire work on call rota just for the day off on saturday lol, thats why i cant make sunday too.

brakes are fecking awesome, didnt fade at all at bedford and i wasnt treating them nicely. would rather trash brakes than the gearbox. they obviously wont be as good as more expensive options, but theyre bargain brakes frankly and will get the same next time

172 Race Car

well, i think im definatly doing the next bedford trackday, maybe another of the RS ones if i can afford it too. plus have you seen the very recent thread about Pembury trackday?:evil:

No i havent but im off to have a look

Qashcow

have done a few more bits to the car recently

last time out at bedford, doing 120+ mph i hit the brakes at the usual marker and had a brown panter as all i could see in my mirrors was smoke, briefly suspected the engine except all sounded good. crawled into the pits and with some help from jay, decided id boiled over the brake fluid which spat onto the manifold and caught fire.

whoop, no damage done so straight back out for 3 hours more driving. time for brake cooling me thinks

some clear repeaters made a huge difference for something so small. even the missus' noticed them as we walked to the car - this is a landmark occasion people...

P1020921.jpg

P1020926.jpg

P1020968.jpg

P1020972.jpg

turns into.....
P1020974.jpg

P1020976.jpg

172 Race Car

Hopefully now you wont stink the pitlane out with the smell of burning brake pads

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member

Looks good mate :)

How do you find the Greenstuff/Brembo HC combo on track? I've got the same and it just doesn't feel good under braking!

Qashcow

tbh, as the only ones ive tried on track i cant comment too much. they certainly need re-warming up after coming into the pits for a while but havent let out on me yet. when ive paid the bills, its time for some new braided lines and 5.1, but cant justify any more money for a while :(

172 Race Car

forget the 5.1, waste of time mate. Ds2500 pads are your next per-chase

Qashcow

worked a bit of overtime last week and got myself this s**t, sounds fecking awsome, even compared to the Viper ive taken off. have used the Espace V6 airbox with Samco 70mm, 90 degree bend and a new ITG filter (PH1 172 filter is what you need)

airbox from Reno, rest from Merlin

will get a new 100mm inlet pipe at some point and when/if it ever stops f**king raining i'll put the itg sticker on the airbox.

DSC00430.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

was in the group buy from ages ago with Streamline carbon and these horny mirror covers turned up the other day too, should add a good 5bhp on there own :-D

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

LY R26

arrrgh i had just gone off the idea of the mirror covers now seeing those makes me want some again! lol. lovely motor.

Qashcow

ive got the back seats and isofix bar out but not stripped it in terms of every possible ounce removed. at the moment its staying on the verge of being easily put back to normalish so dont want to go too far.

will order the 100mm air feed this weekend me thinks

Qashcow

Nice, liking both mods. How much did the box cost from reno?

was about £56 and comes with the normal filter which im figuring i might be able to sell on ebay too.

i had a bit of discount at renault though, just got to blag it. im not in the trade lol

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

Looks lovely now, liking the splitter. How much did the car set you back in the first place?

Qashcow

the leon splitter makes a change compared to the cup version and much cheaper. i cant remember how much it was but i had change out of £4000 including insurance so wasnt too bad.

and oh my effing whoops, i seem to have purchased a set of wheels and slick tyres for a good price. im thinking luminous orange oz F1's and 888's over the winter

Qashcow

picked these up today. I'll be selling the slicks and refurbing the wheels in a slightly brighter colour ;)

DSC00438.gif

DSC00441.gif

"Navy" N17 TWO

Lots of work going on - car looks a right beast so far :)

Qashcow

eventually my matched inlets turned up at work, opened the box to find only the top half. oh well, started stripping the top off anyway. bottom turned up today so took the afternoon off work. this week i have mostly been fitting...

102mm CAF pipework
18mm little gay filter for ICV
AWT matched Inlets

didnt want to keep it all silver sofound some VHT black paint and got busy on the parts.

not sure if the inlets have made much difference, placebo effect i think. Seems to rev more freely though, RR in a few weeks i think so will have before and after graphs

DSC00460.gif

DSC00452.gif

DSC00466.gif

just in time for the pub tomorrow night, see u all there:D

Last edited:
  Qashcow

i lied, ive also painted the fuel rail cover and re fitted it and painted the top engine mount too. final pic when i can be chuffed

Octavia vRS tfsi

Loving the brake cooling that you've done, very very similar to Burps though with the ducts mounted in the arches as I would like to do to mine.

Couple of questions for you, Burp used pieces of rear arch lining to make the deflectors, what have you used there? How large is the deflector lip?

How did you mount the induction trumpets to the fog light housing, did you bolt them on, use silicone or ... ?

And last one, how is the feed held in place through the inner arch?

Ian