ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet Catch Nightmare...

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Well, got up this morning, got ready and me and the father nipped out to do some running about, collect a few bits, and generally crack on repairing a car.

Remembered on Thursday night that my car needs an MOT this month, so checked docs when i got home and it runs out at midnight on Friday.

Take the car to my dad's mate who runs a garage, and he says he'll take it for MOT friday afternoon cause i need the car. We go home to meet the glass people... then half hour later get a call saying that the guy got half way down the road (dual carriageway) and that the bonnet had just jumped open.

This confused me cause ever since i heard about the bonnet catch issue on Mk2 Clio's, i've been checking them and greasing them, this being my third clio since i heard about it. And we'd been using the car all morning, it was fine, since i always make sure the bonnet is secure.

This is what we arrived to see...

Image048.jpg

Image047.jpg

Looks like it needs a new bonnet, screen, the roof repairing as it's rippled accross the top, and a damn good valet as there's glass all over dash etc.

Incase you have a keen eye, yes, that's polish on the side strips, from the night before, when i spent approx 3 hours on it before i got called away. The irony is beautiful... wish i hadn't bothered now.

ati

Clio Dynamique
have you contacted renault, is there anychance of a p[icture of the catch its self?

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Unlucky fella. Have you taken it to the stealers for them to 'check' it before?

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Rang renault, they gave us number for Renault UK or summat (my dad was taking care of it) but they basically told us to shove it.

I've always checked the catch and made sure it's in good working order etc.

Never got a letter since none of my cars are registered to me cause they all get registered to my dad's company (car sales). I only have the same car for a few months.

The catch still looks fine, and works well, so i can only assume the guy lifted the bonnet for a pre-mot glance over and didn't close it propperly. He's gonna get the bill sent his way anyway.

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Finding a bonnet is harder than it seems..... especially in hologram grey.

Should be into the paintshop soon for roof repair and bonnet fitting.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
depends if you trust ur dads mate or not? if the catch is fine he might have forgotten to close it properly

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Well as i said we'd been using it all mornin so he must have opened it before taking it to MOT.

He's paying for it anyway, just need a decent bonnet with hinges.

Won't be keeping it once repaired though, dad fell out with it since its had a few niggles since we got it, but to be fair, it's on 93k and drove quite nice.