ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet Won't Close?

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Hello all. I hate this sub-forum, as I only visit whenever I have an issue, which seems to be often as of late :(

So, I ran out of screen wash this morning. I got home from work, and have just gone out to refill it. I popped the bonnet, and noticed that the lever seemed odd. Filled some screen wash, got excited and changed my coolant too.

Went to close the bonnet, but it won't fully close? I've sprayed some WD-40 over the spring, but it still won't close properly? I need to drive it in the morning, so naturally I'm panicking a bit now?

Do I rape the spring with a full trade can of WD-40? How can I close it? The spring is a touch rusty, so I assume I can get Renault to change that over, but not before tomorrow morning at 6am when I leave for work!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:

So half a large can of WD-40 makes no difference, and now there's a fist sized dent in the front of the bonnet. I may or may not have cracked my near-side foglight in a rage too :(

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Not something in the hole where the bonnet catch drops into is there Marc?

Does it line up as well when it's closed?
Nope, hole is clear, and it all lines up. For now, I might smash it out of line soon!

Clio 182
I put some copper grease around the hole, pulled the latch a few times and its sorted (for now).

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
It's jammed in the open position. Grab a screwdriver and have a poke about (there's probably s technical term for that) to see if it will release.
Once it's shut don't open it again until you can replace the catch!

Impreza RB5 #054
Maybe be a silly question but have you tried pulling the bonnet latch and pushing it back into the closed position?

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
like said check you havent left any tools obstructing the closure of the bonnet. use a screw driver to push the latch above the grill to the right, where the bonnet pin goes into, wiggle it and lubricate it.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys, will have a look. There's nothing obstructing it, but the way the whole thing is operating, I'd say @Sash is right, and it's jammed open. Once I'm back from work later I'll have a look (it's dark now!).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's stuck open mate, just Pull and push the catch inside the car lots and lots of times whilst someone sprays ub40 on the mechanism.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
It's stuck open mate, just Pull and push the catch inside the car lots and lots of times whilst someone sprays ub40 on the mechanism.

Cool, will give that a go when I get home, providing the Mrs is back - she had to take the train to go clothes shopping as I stole her car this morning :)

Lols @ the @Scrooge rage.

Use white grease to actually lubricate it for more than 5 minutes...

If it's never been recalled, call Renault and tell them it's borked.

It's been recalled, I know that. I might give them a call anyway though, to see if they'll do it again, as I won't want to open it again!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Wd40 won't be any good. Clean and degrease the while lot thoroughly.

Then lather the fucker in actual grease and work it back and forth until it is correctly lubed dude.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Wd40 won't be any good. Clean and degrease the while lot thoroughly.

Then lather the fucker in actual grease and work it back and forth until it is correctly lubed dude.
Shite, I'll have to get some grease from somewhere!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had the exact opposite, wouldn't open. I got some mole grips on the catch and opened then closed it for about an hour over and over with lots of lubrication and it was fixed.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out @Daniel was right, got it sorted yesterday by doing what he said to do.

I've given the whole thing a clean and re-grease too, I'm off work next week so will get it replaced at Renault if I can. Cheers guys!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Turns out @Daniel was right, got it sorted yesterday by doing what he said to do.

I've given the whole thing a clean and re-grease too, I'm off work next week so will get it replaced at Renault if I can. Cheers guys!
Don't doubt me boy...