ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boot build help

Trophy Rep
Gunna do a boot build This week, taking out the spare wheel so the sub sits flush to the floor of the boot

Any suggestions on wood type and thickness??

Mdf 18mm I read somewhere else..

And just general tips always handy

Don't bother. 1.2's only have 75bhp as it is, when I put my twin subs in I was probably left with what felt like 10bhp.

1.2 16V 2005
Don't bother. 1.2's only have 75bhp as it is, when I put my twin subs in I was probably left with what felt like 10bhp.

Exactly this! I had a sub in my boot, afterwards my car was being beaten from the lights by kids on Asda trollies! Needless to say I took it out!

18mm MDF, I guess if it's going in the foot well it will be a sealed box, so make sure you cork all the joints inside with some silicone, or use a hot glue gun if you have one. Also can do a search, think there might even be a guide for it some where.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The best way to do a speare wheel well build is fibre glass... you'll never get a good fit with mdf.

How much power are we talking?

Trophy Rep
ive had the sub in for 2 years now and it does weigh a ton to be fair

im only doing the boot build for space it wont reduce weight,,

i dont really wanna fibreglass up the spare wheel well if i can avoid it

only 400watt system, not into high bass just enough so its not tinny like stock speakers

so 18mm mdf measured so it fits nice and snug then original boot carpet attatched one way or another i was thinking, then support the sub from underneath- yet to decide how

Clio 182
The sub needs to be mounted in a sealed enclosure really man as opposed to 'hanging' from a panel into the spare wheel well. It will sound gash and quiet if it is operating in free air, unless it was specifically designed to do so. See what size box you can sink into the spare wheel well if your not going down the glassing route, but obv your box volume will be quite a bit lower. What size is the sub? When I made up the boxes for my 10's think there were bout 2.5 ft^3 each and they ended up sounding mint when the amp was set up right. Its also best to avoid silicone sealants for sub enclosures as they give off acetic acid vapour when curing which can corrode the diaphragms on the subs (or wait till its completely cured before putting the subs in), PVA and sawdust or epoxy (araldite or something) will be fine.

Clio Dynamique Noir
Sorry to bring up an old thread, did a search as I want to do this in my car aswell, just to get my boot back!!lol

i took the challenge on and finished it a few months ago if anyones interested in seeing some pcitures?

Get some pics up! And if anyone has a progress thread that would sweet! Thanks