ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bored so went for a test drive...

Well, my valver is still away getting fixed (week 4 now) and i got tired of my 1.2 16v musclecar clio so decided to go for a testdrive....

...went into the pug dealer and managed to get a go of the 206 180 - smart car until the salesman comes out with itll wipe the deck with the 172. Surely this aint right tho? Ive driven both and the supposed 8bhp extra didnt make it seem any quicker to me.....

I didnt like the GTi 180 one little bit, but TB11 has one on order and thinks its great - and thats after owning a Scooby. Each to their own I suppose, but Id rather scrape my eyes out with a rusty spoon than own a 206 GTi again...

"Unlike the similarly powered Focus 170, the more compact dimensions of the 206 enhance its agility and it is immediately apparent why the car is a popular choice for motorsport enthusiasts.

The 2.0 litre four cylinder engine develops 180 bhp at 7,000 rpm with its maximum torque of 152 lb ft developed at 4,750 revs. Driving the front wheels through its standard five-speed gearbox, I was often looking for another ratio at higher motorway speeds.

However, the close ratio box has a lengthened 1st gear to make the most of standing starts, while despite being cable controlled, offers very precise location of the gears. In raw figures, the car has the potential to top 140 mph on track while accelerating from 0 - 60 mph in a shade over 7 seconds. But mid range acceleration is even more impressive, recording 60 --90 kph (37 - 56 mph) in 4th in just 5.7 seconds and 80 - 120 kph (50 - 75 mph) in 5th in 10.6 seconds, both offering safe manoeuvring responses in A road or motorway traffic."

urmmmmmmm no!!!!

"Unlike the similarly powered Focus 170, the more compact dimensions of the 206 enhance its agility and it is immediately apparent why the car is a popular choice for those who desire yet another boring warm hatch clone.

The 2.0 litre four cylinder engine develops 180 bhp at 7,000 rpm with blah blah blah at blah blah blah. Driving the front wheels through its wankey standard five-speed gearbox, I was often looking at other cars wishing i hadnt bought this at higher motorway speeds.

However, close you get to this car it still looks dull and is only really good for tyre wasting standing starts, while despite being moron controlled, offers very precise averageness in all of the gears. In raw figures, the car has the potential to top the ten most boring warm hatches ever produced while accelerating from other slower but more deisable cars. But middle age men will be even more impressed bla blah blah blah in just blah blah blah, both offering dull manoeuvring responses in A road or motorway traffic."

Owned a 206GTI a couple of years back and have since owned a 106GTI, an Impreza, and an Elise - have a Cup on order at the moment.

This was by far the worst car I have ever driven - build quality worse than the Elise and the Subaru, less power than the 106 and handling like a barge.

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 21 September 2003

A mate of mine has the normal GTI and even she says it doesnt handle - and shes a girl! ;)

*runs*
Then how would she know ? :D

172 MK2, 206 GTi, Williams 3, 172 MK1, Triumph Acclaim, Metro 1.0 City, Corsa 1.2, 205 1.9 GTi. Those are the cars Ive owned. The worse one? Without a single shadow of a doubt, the 206 GTi. Its almost like they forgot to attach the steering rack to the steering wheel and the gear stick to the gear box. What a dog.