ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a lens...

nice lense choice

i have been wanting for one of these since day one, i got the half arsed budget version 100-300 f4 and have been pretty impressed with that. So the 120-300 can only be better.

I will be interested to see if your shooting style changes at all in the next few months.

Get some DTM pics up

I didn't go to the DTM in the end, did loads of overtime instead. I was thinking about shooting style, I might find myself taking advantage of the sharpness at long-range a bit more, but I hope I'm still shooting at silly shutter speeds most of the time.

I can't see them being anything special, tbh. I had one of the sharpest zooms ever made (80-200 2.8 AF-S) so picture quality isn't going to improve massively, it's more a case of making life easier by substituting 2 lenses for 1 and having that extra bit of quality at an even longer focal length.

Took it for a spin today, not ideal conditions but it's very very promising, sharper at 300mm than my old Nikon 300mm f4 prime, doesn't autofocus quite as quickly as my old 80-200 AF-S but still plenty quick enough to capture cars at 120mph about 20ft away no problem. All in all I think I've made a good move, and it was great only having to use one lens all day.

Need a 1.4 teleconverter for track work really, will try and get one soon. A few samples...

270mm wide open
366899150_tmvpE-L.jpg

120mm @ 1/80
366883310_L8uZ2-L.jpg

220mm wide open
366902983_Wi3TR-L.jpg

Great shots, inspired by this I asked the guy at Jessops to let me strap one to my 40D, wow! Only fired a few frames inside at ISO1600 and was very impressed, shot a few people outside and the colours looked great from the go, really popped.

Shame I'd not be able to warrant this for a long while unless I start shooting longer more often. Have to go for a 70-200 f/2.8 first or the younger brother 100-300 F4.

Thought I would update this as nearly 3 years on my Sigma 120-300 2.8 has now gone elsewhere (to MPB Photographic, where else!), it's been replaced by this...

i-Vw4rVC5-L.jpg

After the initial buzz of f2.8 at 300mm I quickly realised the 120-300 wasn't quite quick enough in the AF department for my needs, I fairly quickly regretted letting go of my Nikon 80-200 AF-S (which is essentially like gold dust these days), particularly when the Sigma started playing up on a regular basis. To Sigma's credit they replaced everything but the glass (so AF motor, lens mount etc) at an extremely reasonable cost, but by that point I had lost interest even though it was was now working perfectly.

Over the past few weeks I had a good look through my last 5 years worth of pics, I preferred pretty much everything from my '80-200 era' (my pics have got very safe in the past few years) so got in contact with MPB and worked out a pretty reasonable trade.

The 70-200 will get a proper workout next weekend, but I'm already amazed at how much smaller it seems than my old 80-200 (and how much lighter it is compared to the Sigma!), and an hour messing around in the garden with the cat confirms the AF definitely has that subtle edge that will make all the difference at the circuit.

You've been far too quiet in this area lately mate.

Good to see you're back and snapping again.

New car, new lens, I feel like a new man!

Definitely back up for some serious photography again now, been far too long. Fuji X100 is next on the shopping list, I'm stupidly excited about getting that.

So sharp and enjoyable to use, unfortunately didn't get the light quite right so it looks like the headlight is blown out...

smugshot5378982-L.jpg

smugshot5644960-L.jpg