ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought my first 172 cup

Liam8863

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all, recently just purchased my first Clio 172 cup. The car has been stripped and built purposely for track with buckets seats and harness and few other tasteful mods.

I have never done a track day and looking to go on my first one in November, was just wondering about tips and any general information about first time on the track and what brakes people are using on here? And is the tuition worth the money?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0316.PNG
    IMG_0316.PNG
    942.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0313.PNG
    IMG_0313.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 95
  PH2 172
Hi all, recently just purchased my first Clio 172 cup. The car has been stripped and built purposely for track with buckets seats and harness and few other tasteful mods.

I have never done a track day and looking to go on my first one in November, was just wondering about tips and any general information about first time on the track and what brakes people are using on here? And is the tuition worth the money?

Thanks in advance

I saw that on eBay on thought it was a lot of car for the money. A good buy.
Tuition will benefit you more than fancy priced brake pads.
Enjoy.

Liam8863

ClioSport Club Member
I saw that on eBay on thought it was a lot of car for the money. A good buy.
Tuition will benefit you more than fancy priced brake pads.
Enjoy.
Cheers bud, was a good 4 hour train journey away but was worth the time and money loving the car already just having a good blast round the B roads

Liam8863

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice- welcome to the Club. Which track?
Cheers mate, I was looking at going to Caldwell but was told that's a pretty tricky one so either that or Mallory park next month. The Mallory park one is a lot cheaper than Caldwell and looks a more simple track to get started with. But not 100% decided yet

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome along, looks tidy that

Tuition is well worth the money, especially if first track day. Get it booked for the morning, will help you a lot. I did my first track day at Cadwell in my 172 and didn't kill myself, just build your pace through out the day, and check your mirrors

If the existing brakes have plenty of meat on them and in decent condition, I'd do the first track day as the car is. It's got the brake cooling in place on the front, which will help a lot. Just do short stints will 15-20 min on track, and then a cool down lap and 20+ minutes off to let the car/you cool down. Leave the car in gear , and do not put the handbrake on

If the brakes do need replacing, get in touch I can supply various options of pads, discs, fluids, braided lines etc etc :up:

Liam8863

ClioSport Club Member

Tuition is well worth the money, especially if first track day. Get it booked for the morning, will help you a lot. I did my first track day at Cadwell in my 172 and didn't kill myself, just build your pace through out the day, and check your mirrors

If the existing brakes have plenty of meat on them and in decent condition, I'd do the first track day as the car is. It's got the brake cooling in place on the front, which will help a lot. Just do short stints will 15-20 min on track, and then a cool down lap and 20+ minutes off to let the car/you cool down. Leave the car in gear , and do not put the handbrake on

If the brakes do need replacing, get in touch I can supply various options of pads, discs, fluids, braided lines etc etc :up:
Cheers bud, awesome reply. will take all of that on board and try not to kill myself haha,
Defiantly on the list of things to do start of next year will be in touch for sure!

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member

Why leave the car in gear and leave the handbrake off?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Why leave the car in gear and leave the handbrake off?

As the brakes will be very hot, you can have issues like the pads sticking to the discs. Also in extreme cases, as the discs will cool quicker where the pad is not in contact with it, it can "warp" the discs. Unlikely on a Clio due to the bias of the brakes. But still best practice to leave it in gear/chock the wheels

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I'd be surprised if the car has been built like that with brake ducts if it has standard pads tbh. If it was mine, I'd be having it up to see if I could find out what pads are on it, sometimes the numbers are stamped, or if the pads are pretty new you can read the numbers.

Liam8863

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be surprised if the car has been built like that with brake ducts if it has standard pads tbh. If it was mine, I'd be having it up to see if I could find out what pads are on it, sometimes the numbers are stamped, or if the pads are pretty new you can read the numbers.

Next weekend I have free I will defiantly give it a full check over and see what is what, cars stored in garage at the moment and with this weather and dark evenings haven't had much time to get out in it! cheers for the advice :)

Renault clio 172 Cup
Mine was sat for a year and cost £2000 to get everything sorted on it.
These cars are just such a blast on a good b road
Gotta keep the cups out of the scrap yards I am sure they will be worth money in the future.
Think the K-Tec super sport exhaust was a step too far for me, have to wear earplugs when going for a blast:persevere:

Liam8863

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was sat for a year and cost £2000 to get everything sorted on it.
These cars are just such a blast on a good b road
Gotta keep the cups out of the scrap yards I am sure they will be worth money in the future.
Think the K-Tec super sport exhaust was a step too far for me, have to wear earplugs when going for a blast:persevere:
Yeah I paid £2000 for mine and so far it's been worth every penny! Like you say on a B road they really are mad and so much fun to drive! I feel sorry for your neighbours haha ;)