ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Box/clutch issue?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
2 days ago this noise just started out of the blue. Has gotten worse today on the drive to work so my first thoughts of it being something catching has gone out the window.

The noise is there very quietly on throttle, very loud off throttle, and quiet again with clutch depressed but you can still hear it.

Are these the symptoms of clutch release bearing failure?

182 clio
I've recently changed the boots on them and they seemed fine. Depressing clutch surely wouldn't make it quieter if this was the issue though?
With release bearings my experience shows when you press the clutch it should go quiet.

182 clio
Think ive read your post wrong sorry ?
Just watched the video again.
Very loud for a release bearing.
When your just idling in car is the noise there?
No gears selected

monaco 172
Release bearing sounds will change when the clutch is pressed but it would also do it when stationary.

You problem seems to be related to movement so my thoughts were driveshafts as they will be under load when the clutch is up and the car is driving.

182 clio
Release bearing sounds will change when the clutch is pressed but it would also do it when stationary.

You problem seems to be related to movement so my thoughts were driveshafts as they will be under load when the clutch is up and the car is driving.
Doubt it's your release bearing I would agree with @hipwell

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

I'll take a look this weekend. Am I looking just for generic play in the shaft?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Am I likely to cause more damage driving? I've obviously driven to work this morning but can use another car after today. Dont want to cause box or bearing damage if the shaft is fucked.

J&R the way forward?

monaco 172
Pain in the arse diagnosing the driveshaft, I had a clicking sound on my civic fn2, upon inspection with the car in the air the driveshaft appeared fine. It was only when i took the shaft out the hub I could feel how knackered the joint was.

Replaced just the joint with a joint from shaftec and now it's perfect.

j&r get mixed reviews, some have no issues, others have a knightmare with them

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
it's the box, will randomly just lock up as you're maneuvering from time to time.
What part of the box? I got home with it now. I've never really had any real problems with gear changes which is odd for this to have started out the blue

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So wheels off calipers and discs off. Cant hear anything from inside. Presume the noise must only occur during loading which means box for sure?

Noticed this but just seems like its rubbing on the fabric heatshield hence the shine.
20190815_180539.jpg

Also noticed my tracking has been good

20190815_175700.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yank on the shafts and check for play.

There should be a few mm of backlash play on each CV spider but nothing over a few mm

Sounds to me like it's more gearbox fuckery though

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yank on the shafts and check for play.

There should be a few mm of backlash play on each CV spider but nothing over a few mm

Sounds to me like it's more gearbox fuckery though

Theres no excess play anywhere that I can feel. Put the wheels on and got upto 40 and you can hear the noise again.

How hard is a box swap?

monaco 172
Worth getting an LSD?
On a track car maybe, not for the road.

Box swap is easy enough if your good with the tools, took me a couple of days on my back with axel stands on my own.

Subframe bolts were the biggest pain in the arse for me, the clips holding the nuts inside will snap lol.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that’s the box that’s fucked. It’s a bearing failure, most likely the mainshaft.

Diffs are worthwhile, but for road use go with a Quaife.

I’ve got a box here that I’ll be rebuilding and selling if you’re interested? Can be built with a Quaife too, but you’ll be looking at around £1600.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that’s the box that’s fucked. It’s a bearing failure, most likely the mainshaft.

Diffs are worthwhile, but for road use go with a Quaife.

I’ve got a box here that I’ll be rebuilding and selling if you’re interested? Can be built with a Quaife too, but you’ll be looking at around £1600.
Really weird how its come out of nowhere. I've always had a slight whine in 1st but never anything like this.

I will PM you about the box!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Vale are OEM

Although Sachs and LUK come with Valeo stamping too...

Let me know if you want a hand with owt
Brilliant, cheers mate! I've seen you can squeeze them out the passenger side wheel arch by lowering the subframe and removing everything on that side. Best way to do it? I only just changed the oil! haha