ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BP ULTIMATE 102 RON (couldn't resist)

E90
Unless renault put a turbo on the 192 i doubt it would make much differance what so ever, waste of money FTW

R26, R27
i used this fuel last year for a bit and i thought it picks up better from lower down the rev range,it is over priced though,i would recommend just trying it.no its not in the mind

BLK 197 F1
i'm running a k&n panel filter and it's remapped btw. It's all gone now, back to rubbish v-power :)

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Your ecu remapped or not isnt optimised for 102 ron. You wouldnt see near nil gain from putting 102 ron in it. Only benefit you would get is more mpg because the fuel is cleaner and would burn more efficently. And that mpg difference doesnt compensate the 100% more you paid!

Dont listen to this lot mate. They probably just cant afford it so theyre all jealous.

I did the same as you a few months ago and it was much faster! :approve:

If I lived closer id fill up with it all the time!!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't an ECU on a car nowadays mapped for certain fuel?
I think its controlled by the Variable Advance Spark Timing system.
The 'Knock' detection system senses the change in fuel and spark timing changes accordingly to be most effective.
Im only assuming renault has this?

Megane Team II F1 R26
Mate filled up his 200sx with the 102 think he stopped at about £85 not only raped by BP but raped by me on the twisties with the R26..... on 95Ron...! never put anything other than 95 in.

Waste of money unless highly tuned turbo car

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I assume the people claiming 102 RON fuel will make no difference have categorical empirical evidence.

:rolleyes:

Yes, obviously. Why is it so hard to understand that on this sort of car that petrol will make little or no difference? They state in the marketing stuff that it is for highly tuned race engines.

Its like having a panel filter. You might think it makes a difference but in fact the differences will be negligable unless you've had other things fitted to the car.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I assume the people claiming 102 RON fuel will make no difference have categorical empirical evidence.

:rolleyes:

Yes, obviously. Why is it so hard to understand that on this sort of car that petrol will make little or no difference? They state in the marketing stuff that it is for highly tuned race engines.

Its like having a panel filter. You might think it makes a difference but in fact the differences will be negligable unless you've had other things fitted to the car.

Agreed on the highly tuned engines part-
I asked the question around usage of higher RON petrol & why it WAS important to use at least 97 RON on a highly tuned car-

the answer I got was - if your joe public driving around in between the normal revving bands of a car- like 1-4k revs then 95 ron will suffice all day long in any car, however its when you suddenly drop down a couple of gears & start revving the car close to redline, or maintaining full throttle for a long period-
The chances of blowing a piston are greatly increased with Sh*t fuel in these circumstances-

optimax all day long for me, although next time Im down towards the INN on the lake in Kent I may stick a tenners worth in just to see what it does-

S

C63 AMG
I have still haven't received categorical proof either way. A person's opinion is not proof. Hence why I find religious folk anathema.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I have never put anything other than normal 95 ron in my car because it will make no difference atall on a 1.2 16v but 98/99 octain is suposed to be better in the Renaultsports so i presume 102 will be even better.
Won't have a significant effect, the 197's mapped for 98, so will run best on 98/99.

White clique
I have never put anything other than normal 95 ron in my car because it will make no difference atall on a 1.2 16v but 98/99 octain is suposed to be better in the Renaultsports so i presume 102 will be even better.
Won't have a significant effect, the 197's mapped for 98, so will run best on 98/99.

mine has a sticker in the cap that recommends both 95 and 98. I tried the 102 in my old 182 and deffo felt a difference.

RS RIP
£2.55 a litre at silverstone today, i had to give it a go. Half filled the tank for the journey home and got a can full in the boot for those cold evenings when i wanna go for a "drive". All i can say is, SHE PULLS. Louder, raw note and noticeable quicker. Expensive experiment but a hell of a lot of fun :D

Henk Fastchip has also done some mapping for a German customer who loads up his tank with RON100.. was really good i heard.

I think this is the only way to get maximum benefit from the higher RON fuels; get a map to suit

172 Cup
So far 2 or 3 people have used it and said it was good! Now lets see a list of people who HAVE tried it and dont think it had an effect. This is typical CS, rant at something that weve never tried lol. Next time im at silverstone ill give it a tank full to see if it affect my lap times in anyway!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
EVO ran a fuel test few years ago. In the (turbo) golf gti, 105octane fuel gave 6 bhp more than BP ultimate, 4lbft less torque. In the M5 (NA 5l)it gave less power and torque than Ultimate/Optimax.
You expected to feel a difference, so you felt one. Placebo effect. Unless of course the 197 has a more sofisticated engine than the M5.;)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You'd need to run at least a full tank through before the ECU and knock sensor advanced the timing.

So sticking half a tank in will do sod all.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
BP had a stand a Goodwood last year. (I picked up loads of free key rings & stickers etc)

They had a 911 Turbo on the rollers and two different fuel lines running into it and kept switching fuel.

I seem to recall another 50 bhp on 102. So about 10% on a big power turbo. This is a 7 octane rating from normal unleaded not just the 2-3 jump for super.

I guess if people are willing to spend hundreds on exhausts, filters and other mods spending an extra £50 on fuel before going on a trackday may give better gains for less outlay. (insurance issues etc)

I believe the stations were being located near race tracks.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
anyone that buys 102 RON...are just suckers...you really are!!!

Just buy a faster f**king car...that can go 0-60mph quicker than 7seconds...stop chasing the dream of gaining 00000.00001 off of a second because of the result of individual fuels.

trying to gain incy wincy bits of BHP out of induction kits....exhausts and uber high RON fuels etc etc ... and expecting HUGE gains out of a N/A car.

Better still save your cash for a track day tuition for some advice on HOW to drive properly.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
BP had a stand a Goodwood last year. (I picked up loads of free key rings & stickers etc)

They had a 911 Turbo on the rollers and two different fuel lines running into it and kept switching fuel.

I seem to recall another 50 bhp on 102. So about 10% on a big power turbo. This is a 7 octane rating from normal unleaded not just the 2-3 jump for super.

I guess if people are willing to spend hundreds on exhausts, filters and other mods spending an extra £50 on fuel before going on a trackday may give better gains for less outlay. (insurance issues etc)

I believe the stations were being located near race tracks.
That car had been mapped for the higher octane fuel. So it would show an improvment. As said, to get any significant power out would require a remap, a pointless fuel unless you have the mapping for it.
FFS if 105 octane has no significant effect, how is 102 going to be better?

anyone that buys 102 RON...are just suckers...you really are!!!

Just buy a faster f**king car...that can go 0-60mph quicker than 7seconds...stop chasing the dream of gaining 00000.00001 off of a second because of the result of individual fuels.

trying to gain incy wincy bits of BHP out of induction kits....exhausts and uber high RON fuels etc etc ... and expecting HUGE gains out of a N/A car.

Better still save your cash for a track day tuition for some advice on HOW to drive properly.

He has a point lol

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
£2.55 a litre at silverstone today, i had to give it a go. Half filled the tank for the journey home and got a can full in the boot for those cold evenings when i wanna go for a "drive". All i can say is, SHE PULLS. Louder, raw note and noticeable quicker. Expensive experiment but a hell of a lot of fun :D

F**k me, thats an insane price! IS it really that noticable though?!...