ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Cooling - How much difference?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I had a look but couldn't find anything specific, I am wanting to add some cooling to the brakes as they do get warm on track days, however the ducts I have seen just seem to dump the air somewhere in the vicinity of the wheel arch, does this actually have the desired effect? I have seen the Corvette duct option but ideally I'd like to keep the arch liners.

If just adding air to the under arch area works then I'll go with a simple kit otherwise I will look at what I might be able to do with the Corvette ones.

Cheers

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
I managed to keep my liners inplace with the C6 Ducts, you need to heat and bend the ducts a little to make them fit.

C6 duct.jpg

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
Like your style.

Assuming they're feeding through the old fog lights? How did you route them through/around the arch liner?
277819924_10159937632883966_5458207857268677594_n.jpg

I added some 3d printed fog ducts and piping to make it esier, I have seen people just use the corvette brake ducts. FYI I have removed the carbon canister and acoustic valve on mine, makes it a bit easier.
346641531_247440734502502_358969657357137575_n.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
There are some really smart brake duct solutions out there, especially for road going cars that do a few track days.

I always fancied the K-Tec racing ducts so mocked some up on the track car. They’re definitely ugly but will do the job. The current theme of the car is Black with Yellow cage, yellow brake calipers, yellow hoses, so just wondering if I should continue with that and paint them yellow 🤔

brake-ducts.jpeg

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I kinda like how ugly they are! Makes them look purposeful. What about if you re-fitted them from behind, so the "flange" was hidden, and the cutout only showed the guts of the vent?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I kinda like how ugly they are! Makes them look purposeful. What about if you re-fitted them from behind, so the "flange" was hidden, and the cutout only showed the guts of the vent?
Yeah, you tend to see them more on proper circuit cars, because as you say, they serve a purpose.

When they arrive I'm whipping them into the body shop at work and they're going to see if they can integrate them into the bumper.

Then I'll get the whole bumper repainted, including vents, so it looks cleaner.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the brake setup I suppose. I found I never needed them on the Clio. 207bhp, about 900kg and Brembos with 283x26 2 piece discs. Nor my Megane for that matter, 310bhp about 1100kg and 330x28 2 piece discs.

But I can appreciate that maybe those with the lots of power, standard kerb weight and/or standard callipers and discs might need them.

My M3 needs them for sure.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They don't look too bad at all considering they're just slapped straight on.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the brake setup I suppose. I found I never needed them on the Clio. 207bhp, about 900kg and Brembos with 283x26 2 piece discs. Nor my Megane for that matter, 310bhp about 1100kg and 330x28 2 piece discs.

But I can appreciate that maybe those with the lots of power, standard kerb weight and/or standard callipers and discs might need them.

My M3 needs them for sure.
It’s the one thing I struggled with in track, standard brakes on mine and I was cooking them (might be me and still getting used to track driving) but if I can get them cooler without needing to upgrade to Brembos (for now at least) that be a start.

I quite like the ducts Jon, they look very purposeful.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Short and sharp on the brakes, don't drag them. Minimises the heat build up.

But the standard callipers concentrate the area that pressure is applied unevenly through the inefficient design of a single piston calliper creating a hot spot. And the calliper is cast iron so it has more thermal mass and dissipates heat a lot slower. Same goes for the discs.

Hopefully the ducts work for you!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member

But the standard callipers concentrate the area that pressure is applied unevenly through the inefficient design of a single piston calliper creating a hot spot. And the calliper is cast iron so it has more thermal mass and dissipates heat a lot slower. Same goes for the discs.

If they don’t it’s a good excuse to upgrade!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member

i know I’m probably on the brakes for too long, I need to brake later and harder but for less time. Just getting used to it vs road driving… just a bit nervy I think.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I found after a long stint on track my brakes started to fade so bought a kit off eBay and just with fresh air venting into the wheel arch solved the problem.
I was using Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads with a Tarox F2000 discs and standard calipers.
Should’ve stuck with that setup as it scrubbed off speed so quick. The next problem it crated was the tyre rubber going off :rolleyes:
I’m now using Brembo’s with the DS1.11 pad as people raved about them but don’t seem to have the same bite.
81D2DC76-663A-4FF8-905E-0ECF2BDE5FB7.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I found after a long stint on track my brakes started to fade so bought a kit off eBay and just with fresh air venting into the wheel arch solved the problem.
I was using Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads with a Tarox F2000 discs and standard calipers.
Should’ve stuck with that setup as it scrubbed off speed so quick. The next problem it crated was the tyre rubber going off :rolleyes:
I’m now using Brembo’s with the DS1.11 pad as people raved about them but don’t seem to have the same bite.View attachment 1665556
That’s good to know, that venting location looks good actually a few I’ve seen come in at the top and I just couldn’t see how they would work. This looks good. 👍

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
I’m now using Brembo’s with the DS1.11 pad as people raved about them but don’t seem to have the same bite.View attachment 1665556
Imho nothing beats RC6 / RC8 regarding pure stopping power . Maybe Endless in some compounds.

Clio 197,with megan'
I always used ds1.11,, but now use winmax W5, excellent stopping power, but more progressive than the DS. As far as Brakes/Disks are concerned, most of you know to get on the brakes, get off ,dont linger, even in 30deg heat, Ive never had a problem.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
From my experience they do a nice difference.
Fabricated some ducts made out of fiberglass from foglights with a shape similar to corvette ducts but made to perfectly fit clio chassis. I attach a couple of pictures took during the prototyping.
Unfortunately I ended up removing the mudguards because the car is very low and at monza the tire grabbed one of those and ripped it away.
I even did some grilles to avoid big things to get inside.
Anyway..
To my experience they do a big difference. Tested at Monza track without having brake issues of any sort (running 280+ wilwoods midilite).
I compared the use of car on a local short test track and behaved very well. On July with like 36C ambient temperature without them I had to cool down after some laps, with them I've been able to push hard the whole time without issues.

In the last pic there is the almost finished duct, it only misses the last bend that connects to the 3d printed 100mm housing bolted to the foglight bracket. I managed to lost the picture.
Now my car is away mapping for new cams, when it comes back i can take a picture if someone wants to see

Attachments

• Resizer_16983934219455.jpeg
    Resizer_16983934219455.jpeg
    613.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Resizer_16983933690471.jpeg
    Resizer_16983933690471.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Resizer_16983934126433.jpeg
    Resizer_16983934126433.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Resizer_16983934035601.jpeg
    Resizer_16983934035601.jpeg
    682.9 KB · Views: 61
  01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Fabricated some ducts made out of fiberglass from foglights with a shape similar to corvette ducts but made to perfectly fit clio chassis. I attach a couple of pictures took during the prototyping.
Unfortunately I ended up removing the mudguards because the car is very low and at monza the tire grabbed one of those and ripped it away.
Anyway..
To my experience they do a big difference. Tested at Monza track without having brake issues of any sort (running 280+ wilwoods midilite).
I compared the use of car on a local short test track and behaved very well. On July with like 36C ambient temperature without them I had to cool down after some laps, with them I've been able to push hard the whole time without issues.

In the last pic there is the almost finished duct, it only misses the last bend that connects to the 3d printed 100mm housing bolted to the foglight bracket. I managed to lost the picture.
Now my car is away mapping for new cams, when it comes back i can take a picture if someone wants to see
Those ducts look awsome!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Anyway..

Been away, so a delayed reply... These look spot on. I wish I had the capability to make something like this. Great job.