ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake fluid for track car

Which do you use or would you use

• ATE Super Blue

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Motul RBF660

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Castrol SRF Racing

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Other (please leave a comment in the Thread)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  Track 172 Cup
Well I'm hopefully doing the fluids on my 172 Cup track car (Engine Oil, Gearbox Oil and Coolant) and was wondering as I cant decide what brake fluid to use, I have mates who do sprints and track days who use either the Motul or Castrol (they run a Supercharged BMW Mini and an E46 M3) so I'm trying to decide if to pay the extra for either the Motul or Castrol. I'm running Brembo HC disc's and carbon Lorraine pads (not sure which). I thought I had boiled the fluid on my last outing at Oulton but after searching on here I found that the brake res might be filled up to the MAX line (will check next time I'm at the car) causing the slight bubbles from the top as I drove home and had no issues and didn't feel like the fluid had boiled just had slight fade which I think was from the pads as it was gradual (at the minute I only do 1 warm up lap then about 4-6 laps, then a cool down lap) , So I thought I might as well give the brake fluid a refresh as I'm not sure how old it is.

And also with the higher end fluids is it true they have to be changed more often due to them being more hygroscopic?

Prices are approximate and I only used Opie Oils as a reference.

ATE Super Blue or Gold @ £15 a litre
Motul RBF660 @ £34 a litre
Castrol SRF Racing @ £42 a litre

Thanks.

Track 172 Cup
Depends which one I choose lol don't mind changing the ATE a few times a year but the Motul or Castrol at the price I would probably refrain from regular changes, and depending how much time I get on track days to be fair.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If it was me and I was changing from the ATE, then i'd go for the Motul. It doesn't seem to badly priced but the Castrol is a fair bit more in comparison.

But I suppose if you want the best, then you have to pay the money lol.

Track 172 Cup
Is there a MOD where you can move the brake reservoir out of the way so its not above the manifold? Or just make a heat shield for it?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Is there a MOD where you can move the brake reservoir out of the way so its not above the manifold? Or just make a heat shield for it?
It's a megane reservoir that you use to relocate it. @Tony Hunter will tell you the model if he can remember.
I've never had an issue with regards heat and the fluid reservoir on mine and I kick the s**t out of it tbh. For the new engine though I'll have no choice but to have a heat shield.

Clio V6, cup racer
Castrol SRF transformed the brakes on my old race spider, but they took a right hammering on track so may be over the top for general use. The cost of it made me very miserly when bleeding as well and as for binning used fluid every year that was heartbreaking!

Renault Clio 172
Just use ATE and you wont have any problems, people must be mad paying £42/litre for castrol srf in a lightweight clio..
I used to use gulf rf800 and never had that boiling in a 1150kg mr2 so that would be another option and is around £20/l i think

Clio 182 FF
I boiled RBF 660 on track a few weeks ago, I was on track for waaay to long though as I didnt stick to 15min sessions. Ill be using ate super blue as its cheap enough to change after each track day.