ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Light Help ......please

Basically I have to press the brakes fairly hard to activate the brake lights.

I've had a look at the pedal and the switch and can't see whether I can adjust anything to make it more sensitive.
I have taken the switch out completly and the lights stay on all the time, when you push the switch in it goes out as it should.

My question is do I need to adjust the switch or the pedal alignment? if so how?

Thanks, much appreciated

The switch is screwed. I forget which way it is but the further you unscrew it the quicker it comes on I think.You need to fiddle with it and you'll work out the correct setting.

edde said:
The switch is screwed. I forget which way it is but the further you unscrew it the quicker it comes on I think.You need to fiddle with it and you'll work out the correct setting.

Ok cool, so the adjustment is on the switch itself?

Thanks mate

I took a picture of the switch, I can't see any where u can adjust it. Anyone know?

DSCF0011.jpg

ppppppplease HELP! somebody must know

if its as simple as screwing something in/out I dont intend on taking a whole day off work so stealer can fiddle!

somebody must know an exact how to :(

THANKS!

New switch maybe, but i cant honestly see how a switch like that wears out!

its either pedal adjustment or the simple fact the switch needs to be about 2mm further away from the pedal

could just file off 2mm from the plastic switch (far right in pic :p)

Get a new sensor or fiddle wirth the stock one I made a mistake the Mk2 ones arn't adjustable the Mk1 Clios are adjustable.

Well my 3rd and final attempt.... SUCCESS!!!!

cutting long story short, i am amazed how simple it is.

basically, the plunger part of the switch (twist and remove - v.easy!)
has a ratchet. Each ratchet is say 1mm

All i needed was for the switch to be about 3mm shorter.

After a quick play - i pushed the plunger in for 5sec firmly and it click, click, clicked very fast say 5 times.

Cleary 5 clicks was too much as when i re-fitted, the switch then didnt touch the pedal at all :D

After mucho swearing, getting the switch back to its longest setting is easy - just gently but with force pull the plunger for 5sec...again it will 'give way' and click up the ratchet.

I then pressed firmly one more time and voila! 3 clicks and my brakes light 100% perfectly :)

Megane Mk4
Mine does the same and Renault have quoted me £25 today to plug it into the diagnostic system for electronic failure before they even look at the switch. (out of warranty as it's a 02 plate) Even though I've told them EXACTLY whats wrong with it..

Will do this tomorrow, when it's not raining. Thanks for the quick rough guide. :approve:

Clio Sport 172
Got same prob with my 02 172....let me know if you have sucess and I will crack on with it.....

had same prob with my previous 182, Renault changed the whole switch, under warranty so didnt mind....:)

Megane Mk4
Done and it's sorted on mine :approve:

Quick guide for you people who haven't done this that want to.. (this is for the newer brake switches.) btw, you'll might need a mirror or a wall to check brake lamps

1. hold your pedal down.
8eb8c9e3.jpg

2. Then with your other hand, twist the switch off (counter clockwise)

718448ea.jpg

3. Then if you grab the switch plunger on the end and push the plunger itself, it will click, let go and push again.. it will click again. Inside it alters a plastic shaft type ratchet system, to reset it, pull the plunger out and it will click out altogether.

802d5aa1.jpg

f4db9779.jpg

after every setting, place the switch back in the hole (holding pedal down when you do so it will sit properly) and test your pedal by tapping it with your hand and looking to the back of your car at the lamps.

If it's not working right repeat step 3.

I've managed to get it to light the lamps just after the point of pressure on the brake pedal, (three clicks in on mine)

172 ph2
Thanks for that little guide :)

I'm going to give it a go on mine because it's the same as others have mentioned. It's not terrible but light breaking doesn't activate the lights.

LY 182
yeah as said you just yank the plunger of the switch out, put the switch back in the when you press the brake it self adjusts

Megane Mk4
Check the picture in post #8 If yours looks like this then the guide should work. If however you have an older switch, as edde said in post #3 Then the plunger itself should twist like a screw.