ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake lights control with Standalone ECU (UCH removed)

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Hi Guys.
once UCH is removed, how do you control brake lights? i went with Cartek PDP for all the switches. and going with DTA S60 ECU.
i am a little puzzled, how do i wire brake lights? this may seem like a stupid question but i am kinda puzzled.

does brake light switch act as a normal switch? or i need to run it through PDP and use brake light switch as secondary input?

Attachments

• 34076041_10160521700520375_1235569809391878144_n.jpg
    34076041_10160521700520375_1235569809391878144_n.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 73
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Pretty certain the brake light switch is just a mechanical push to make switch with a power feed and return (to brake lights) if you've got any other wiring to the switch it'll be for the factory cruise control system (Can't remember if Renault made them all 4 wire plugs or not).

I haven't gotten around to moving mine over to the new fuse box yet, but all I've planned to do is run a new wire from the fuse box to the brake light switch and it should work.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. But I won’t have any more fuses or relays, or cruise control, abs... all gone! All components controlled by PDP. Freaking love that thing! So clever. And easy to use :)
So I guess I will try wire them directly from that switch. See what that does.

Attachments

• EB2D7BCF-020C-4F52-8A34-2DB8A19EC25C.jpeg
    EB2D7BCF-020C-4F52-8A34-2DB8A19EC25C.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 90
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Those PDP units are stunning, shame I don't have the monies for one ? do they act a fuse box too (assuming most if not all of the original loom has gone?)

I wouldn't have thought there's be an issue with just hardworking the brake lights in with the switch, but personally I'd prefer to have it fused, I'd hate something as trivial as brake lights to cause a wiring issue during an event

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Those PDP units are stunning, shame I don't have the monies for one [emoji22] do they act a fuse box too (assuming most if not all of the original loom has gone?)

I wouldn't have thought there's be an issue with just hardworking the brake lights in with the switch, but personally I'd prefer to have it fused, I'd hate something as trivial as brake lights to cause a wiring issue during an event

They are. No more fuses or relays. It gets a direct 12v from battery. Than you just drop single wire to what ever component you want. (+earth to chassis were necessary) that’s it!
I sold my soul to the devil for this one. For the brake light, I will have 15a(or 10a) in-line fuse. Essentially it’s a constant broken circuit (even when car is off no ignition) than when brake applied, it completes a circuit. Should be simple enough. For some reason I though it was same bulb as side lights only half brightness (when brake applied goes to full) but it’s a separate bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Got it sorted [emoji106]

Was it just a case of running some power to the brake light switch in the end?

Yep. Tested the switch on the bench. Had 4 wires coming on. Found 2 that we’re responsible and wired it in line. Got power from control panel through 15amp inline mini fuse holder, and the other wire going directly to the lights. Feels wrong not to use relay actualy but I guess that’s how it is to be quick enough.