ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake qu.

Hey all

When i drive my car from cold i get a kinda grinding noise from the brakes. its hard to tell where but i think its the front ones. The thing is after a couple of minutes it totally stops and everything is quiet again. Brakes are fine, even when cold they stop well :)

The pads and discs are only a couple of months old so its not them.

The only thing i can think of is could it be the anti rattle springs aren;t on properly? They were fine when i first changed the pads and discs, but now they have worn down a little bit theyre might be room for them to rattle a little before they warm up and expand under breaking.

Im waiting for a dry day to have a look so any things to look out for will be appreciated.
Thanks
Dazz

thats what i thought, but theres hardly any rust on the discs and it happened tonight - id only been in the pool club about 2 hours, admittedly it was ping hard though

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

check the inner side of the brake discs for corrosion.is it from the rear brakes? wheel bearing perhaps? partially seized brake caliper?

right well ive just been out and had a look, cant see much so gonna get it in the garage

Its coming from the back brakes - when i was going along just after i started up this morning i pulled up the handbrake slightly and could hear the grinding. Definitely something to do with them.

If its the pads, how comes it goes away after a few brakes?

Thanks

Dazz

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

I find the rear brakes tend to lock on some times so I get a nice clunk or noise now and then when the car has been left standing in wet or cold conditions. Dont know if the caliper pistons arent working properly.

yeah thats what i was thinking, was fine during the summer, maybe the cold weather is causing the calipers to stick a little bit???

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if its a old 1.4rt then its got rear drum brakes yes? Are there any gromits missing off the backplate allowing water/damp inside the drum? is one of your rear wheel cylinders leaking? is it just a build up of brake dust? I would strip your back brakes and check/adjust them.

Thanks for the help Jay :)

took it into nationals today (couldnt be ar*sed to book it in a garage and the one round here is quite good).

They took both rears apart, pads and drum is fine, although on of the cylinders was leaking. Decided to replace both sides as the other one looked pretty cack as well. Cost £82 fitted inc VAT. Is that an ok price? didnt sound too bad to me.

Still getting some grinding but the bloke reckons its just rust as everything else was fine. Il check those gromit things tomo, make sure theres none missing :)

£82 is a pretty good price for the work - the cylinders are about £15 each and the fitting of them and then bleeding the system afterwards would take a while to do.

If the noise is only there after the car has been parked for a while and then goes after driving for a bit, but returns if you apply the handbrake slightly when driving then it sounds to me like the handbrake mechanism is sticking. It might be worth removing the drums and cleaning and re-greasing the handbrake levers.