ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake upgrade, calipers pads and discs.

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Are there any other larger calipers and discs that fit directly on the clio ?

I know back in the day i had Calibra Turbo Calipers and VW Corrado discs on my MK1 Astra GTE Turbo and 24v Senator Calipers on my Nova Turbo ect ect and they were a direct fit.

Has anyone found or tryed any other combos instead of getting bent over for after market kits ?

Clio Sport Mk1
Hi,

I'm currently thinking about fitting Laguna Mk1 front calipers on my Clio 172. These have the same fixing points, the same pads, but a bigger piston (60mm vs 54mm). In order to balance the extra braking force on the front, I also think about fitting other calipers on the rear wheels. It seems that many Citroen calipers are plug & play, such a 206 RC or Xsara. Again, same fixing points and same pads, but 34mm piston vs. 30 ou 32 for the clio ... this upgrade is not huge, but it may give good results for not much money ...

One other conversion is to fit renault Master or Espace mk3 2-piston calipers on the front wheels with 300mm scenic discs. Again this seems to be plug and play, but the main drawback of the configuration is that you cannot find descend high performance brake pads for these calipers. Only EBC green or may red ... i.e. CRAP !! No Ferodo DSxxxx, no Pagid, no Carbone Lorraine ...

Maybe that you guys on ClioSport have other pads brands in mind that may distribute products for these calipers ??

My information comes from www.cliors-concept.com ...

Cheers,

Michael.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Even though its only a small size increase in piston going from 32 to 34 mm on the rear its quite a bit different in surface area from 804 to 907 roughly or 706 if its 30 (using pie times radious squared think thats right for surface area!).
As theres a fair bit of difference in surface area i imagine the braking force will be improved by at least 10% in the worst case scenario on the rear and 20% on the front assuming braking force is proportional to piston surface area?? Awaits the CS guru's to confirm/ flame me!?
Was just wandering though if these brake conversions were carried out especially the two piston upgrade on the front, would you have to change the master cylinder as well due to the pistons being different sizes/ more pistons to move?

Last edited:
  Clio Mk2 Ph3
Mowg [RS1];7792543 said:
I'm currently thinking about fitting Laguna Mk1 front calipers on my Clio 172. These have the same fixing points, the same pads, but a bigger piston (60mm vs 54mm).
Αre you sure,about that??

Clio Sport Mk1
Can't you just get the 4 pots of Clio 197/200 and make them fit?

Sure you can, but you need interface spacers to fit the Brembo on your car. And the whole conversion is around 600-700€ ... so it's not the same business ! But it's not the same result ...

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Even though its only a small size increase in piston going from 32 to 34 mm on the rear its quite a bit different in surface area from 804 to 907 roughly or 706 if its 30 (using pie times radious squared think thats right for surface area!).
As theres a fair bit of difference in surface area i imagine the braking force will be improved by at least 10% in the worst case scenario on the rear and 20% on the front assuming braking force is proportional to piston surface area?? Awaits the CS guru's to confirm/ flame me!?
Was just wandering though if these brake conversions were carried out especially the two piston upgrade on the front, would you have to change the master cylinder as well due to the pistons being different sizes/ more pistons to move?

You might get some changes to your pedal feel and effort but its not going to make any major difference to your braking distance.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
You might get some changes to your pedal feel and effort but its not going to make any major difference to your braking distance.
But surely thats the same with big brake kits ie 4 pots? The ultimate braking distance is still comparable to normal set up distance wise with high end pads dsg*** etc due to the limits of the tyre? But you can get away with cheaper pads for same effort, less fade etc? Or am i completely wrong?

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
multi pot calipers give a more even pressure on the pads, cope better with heat, give better pedal feel and are generally lighter. Ultimately the tyre and control of weight transfer will give the biggest gains. You can get to a point where standard brakes are simply unable to apply enough pressure to lock the brakes but in reality this is not going to happen on a road car.
The bigger caliper may use a bigger pad, both which may help increase the heat capacity of the braking system but you have to look at the whole system rather than individual parts. Mostly the disk size will have the biggest effect but this comes at a price - greater unsprung weight.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
So larger piston, bigger surface area to transfer pressure on same size pad is better?
looking at the whoe system thats why i was asking if you would have to change the master cylinder too?

Clio 172 & others!
I know this is a bit of a thread ressurection but its something which I've been looking at. I was looking at getting a set of the brembo 4pot brakes from a 406 and see if I could get them to fit. For me, it would be no loss as I know the rover turbo boys have a kit that they use these if I cannot get them to fit. Would look good!