ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake upgrade for 172!

Hey Guys & Gyals,

Im picking up my 172 week Monday hopefully. Thinking of future mods already. Its Iceberg Silver and has tints already (sorted), Ive already got my wheels (17"s), so its getting lowered (-40mm on Apex springs) and that 2 days after I pick it up.

Sorted, Sorted, Sorted. Clear indicators and all that rubbish I got as well, yeah yeah. So, Im thinking maybe 2 months time when I scrape the cash together.....Brake upgrade!!! What do you reckon??

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1026http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1026

Looking on K-Tecs site and they have a gorgeous 325mm 4 Pot set for around £900. Has anyone here with a MkII 172 had a brake upgrade??? I was just wondering? What are they like?

Let me know youre thoughts!

Thanks

N8

Err arnt the stock brakes good enough Ive yet to hear of any complaints about them.

The uprated one willnt stop you much quicker I belive as its the tyres which are the week spot you need wider tyres to stop faster the big brake kit is onlt going to stop fade and I hear the stock brakes are amazing.

EDD

the only other option is ap are doing a new 295 kit for 172s. dscs plus ap 4 pot calipers. price........£1511. NOT fitted...........EEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Surely you should drive it for a while first?
Its not really summat you should choose to do without putting the standard breaks thru their paces.

I think you should get the new ones. The standard 172 breaks are shocking.

I have a 1.0 Yaris that has more stopping power than my 172. (ok granted im going at half the speed)

Quote: Originally posted by wackojacko on 22 February 2004

I have a 1.0 Yaris that has more stopping power than my 172. (ok granted im going at half the speed)

There is definately something wrong with your brakes then mate ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Darren555 on 22 February 2004

Quote: Originally posted by wackojacko on 22 February 2004

There is definately something wrong with your brakes then mate ;)
Yep get them sorted, not putting your passengers through the front window when you brake is quite an art :eek:

But my brakes are going to look tiny once I put my 17"s on!! Especially the back ones, cmon guys....youve got to admit a BIG set of brakes looks mint :D

They wont be getting done yet though. I pick the car up on March 1st, so Ive got at least 2 months to see how I get on with the standard ones.

Does anyone know if theyre 2 pot?

Thanks

N8

No, Sorry im not talking about normal driving and bit. Its after 5mins of 100mph b, roads my brakes just die and over heat. Perfectly acceptable i suppose, but it would be nice for them to work a little longer.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I think the stock brakes are pretty damn good!

Doesnt a 172 get from 100-0 faster than a ferrari or summat?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i think the cup brakes stop you pretty well you just have to jump on the pedal a bit compared to other cars.

Finally, someone not seeing through the rose tinted goggles provided by the autocar brake test. The brakes do overheat and die on the 172..majorly, found out at brands and wasnt impressed.

Not the bloody not enough grip thing again lmao! 4 pots will be better, ok driving around not much diff but from high speeds and constant appliance youd have no doubt. Im still to-ing and fro-ing over the idea of 4 pots, theyre so nice but so so expensive!

-Rob

Maybe they fade on track but so do most OE set ups.

I have been on track in an Impreza STI 8 and its Brembos faded & the discs had warped by the end of the day.

For fast road use though they are fine, unless you have a very heavy braking style. Probably cheaper & safer to look at your driving style if this is the case ;)

Darren

If the brakes do overheat (which im sure they will on track) why not just change the pads to something like Ferodo DS2500 or something. Just a thought.