ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake upgrade

Monaco RS Clio 172
hello...

I have noticed my rear brake pads are getting rather low, the disc looks ok tbh, the front have good meat on the pads, but the disc is at least half worn.

I know it is silly to replace perfectly good brakes and it makes sense to simply buy new rear pads, but I was thinking of upgrading, simply biting the bullet and doing it all now rather than later. should last me a while then.

has anyone any experience with these?

http://www.espdesign.co.uk/Brakes-R...o_Mk2/Mk3_172/182_(2000-06)/product_info.html

with these:

http://www.espdesign.co.uk/Brakes-R...tuff_Pads_for_Clio_Mk2/Mk3_172/182_(2000-06)_[DP21369]/product_info.html

if anyone does,

1. will I have any difficulty at all replacing std with these uprated ones? is it just as easy?

2. are they any good and what is their wear and tear like for example do they last well with --occasional-- hard braking?

there is 3 dif tyres of pads in the range, greenstuff, redstuff, yellowstuff.

yellowstuff seems to be only a couple of quid more expensive than green/red, and offers upto 800c fade resistance.

is it worth just getting these or are they agro to live with day-to-day?

thanks and sorry for the bomard of questions. just curious before I stump up the cash. main question are the pads. :)

Clio 182
I personally wouldn't recommend the greenstuff pads. They're pretty bad, i would actually say for everyday road use they're more of a downgrade. As with everything, you get what you pay for. EBC yellowstuff are okay once you get some heat into them but they squeal and rattle, Ferodo DS2500 are the best option.

From the limited experience of the ebc discs I would say they're 'alright' but again most people on here recommend the brembo MAX discs for clios.

I know that ebc stuff is cheap (cheaper than OEM, what does that tell you?) but if you're going to bite the bullet and upgrade it's better to save an get the best feasible option. Ferodo's, Brembo Max, Braided Lines and New fluid.

Just my two pence.

Laters.

J.

Elise S1 B&C 140
I have just upgraded mine this weekend - fronts only went for Brembo max discs, EBC Redstuff, Goodrich braided lines and a decent fluid. They are fantastic, havent used them in anger on the track yet, but had a good b road blast after i had bedded them in and they are 100 times better than standard.

IIRC Yellowstuff take time to heat up (they need a certain amount of heat to work) and rattle etc as stated. Reds seem good to me.

Renaultsport Clio 182
upgrading the rears is a waste of time / money to be honest as the majority of the braking is done by the fronts.

i'd just replace the rear pads myself. standard pads are fine for this but youe can get a set of Redstuff pads for about £40. K-Tec also do their own branded ones for £30 a set.

if you're looking at spending big money on brake upgrades, it has to be on the front!

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
upgrading the rears is a waste of time / money to be honest as the majority of the braking is done by the fronts.

I have to disagree there. The majority is done by the fronts but if you get some high friction pads on the front but leave the rear standard it will affect the front:rear brake bias which may not be right for the weight distribution of your car.

Clio 182
Yup. I agree with Kam.

You should always upgrade in balance, clio's are light at the back anyway so increased front bias will make it a bit hairy.

I was thinking about changing my 182 brakes to 197 brembo's on the front and fitting an bias valve for the rears to keep it all in check with some nice discs/pads and a some braided lines. That would be a nice little package.

Renaultsport Clio 182
i'm just going on personal experience - i've had my Brembo HC's, DS2500's and braided lines on for 12k now and they are faultless i have to say. i've left the rears as standard up to now but the rear pads now need replacing. think i'll be sticking with OEM ones

with my ap racing 4 pots up front, hard braking on track makes the back end go very light. Iv got standard discs and ds2500 pads at the rear.

Id put standard on the rear, brembo HC discs and DS2500 pads up from, braded lines and new fluid

Donut, you would need big wheels, some coustom bells and discs, custom brackets and custom braded lines to fit 197 breamos to a 182

182 Cup
Id put standard on the rear, brembo HC discs and DS2500 pads up from, braded lines and new fluid

What he said, and what I'm currently running. Like them! Had to grind the pads down a bit to get them to fit, but that seems to be the case with every set of pads I've had put on! Must have bad calipers!

Clio 182
Haven't changed the clio's yet but i've used ATE super blue racing before and would recommend it.