ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes......again...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
So I have been searching and there is loads of info about brake options for the clio, lots of contradicting opinion but no one seems to have my requirements so here goes with another...

Changed my front discs and pads all round at the start of the year for OEM stuff. Never thought about upgrading, just wanted it to be fixed.

Now I'm wanting more stopping power, I am disappointed with my current brakes, I nearly went into the back of a member on here last weekend!

Now I know the fluid needs changing so looking for recommendations for fluid I should get.

And I also want to change the front discs and pads, going to keep the rears OEM.

Been considering the CL RC5+ pads, supposed to be less squeak/dust than older CL pads? Or should I just get DS2500's? Any other options around that price range?

As for discs it seems its between the HC's and the max's, any alternatives? Which out of these would be most suited.

Nearly forgot to say, its only used for fast road and trackdays, I dont commute in it and never will.

Da

Less
What's the budget Mike?

I upgraded the fluid/discs/pads/lines on mine and it stopped better than OE and cost me probably £250 - £300 all in.

Alot of people said at the time I should have got brembo four pots, could be an option for you?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I am flexible on budget tbh, its an important part of the car afterall. What you spent is probably what i'm looking at.

I dont know much about them tbh, just what I read on here. Will be getting a garage to do the work.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So I have been searching and there is loads of info about brake options for the clio, lots of contradicting opinion but no one seems to have my requirements so here goes with another...

Changed my front discs and pads all round at the start of the year for OEM stuff. Never thought about upgrading, just wanted it to be fixed.

Now I'm wanting more stopping power, I am disappointed with my current brakes, I nearly went into the back of a member on here last weekend!

Now I know the fluid needs changing so looking for recommendations for fluid I should get.

And I also want to change the front discs and pads, going to keep the rears OEM.

Been considering the CL RC5+ pads, supposed to be less squeak/dust than older CL pads? Or should I just get DS2500's? Any other options around that price range?

As for discs it seems its between the HC's and the max's, any alternatives? Which out of these would be most suited.

Nearly forgot to say, its only used for fast road and trackdays, I dont commute in it and never will.
DO NOT WANT!! Mine literally fell to bits, and I'm not the only one that's happened to. The Ferodo's are great, but they need a wee bit of filing to fit well (avoids squealing). Brembo HC discs, braided hoses and a fluid change.
You'll be amazed at the feel/response.

There we go
2688c292.gif

Da

Less
To be fair change the pads and the lines and you'll feel an immediate difference.

Discs I'd go for the Brembo Max HC ones as they're what I had. Pad wise I stuck with Mintex and they never let me down, but I'm not a hardened track driver (yet!) ;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Bottomeless budget and get some Wilwood 4 pots. I know Pablo went out with Mat Wills on a track day and said the Wilwoods were unreal.

If you're doing a few track days I think you can condone it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
DO NOT WANT!! Mine literally fell to bits, and I'm not the only one that's happened to. The Ferodo's are great, but they need a wee bit of filing to fit well (avoids squealing). Brembo HC discs, braided hoses and a fluid change.
You'll be amazed at the feel/response.

I'm hearing this, it looks the option everyone chooses. Just the CL brakes are supposed to be better, not much good if they fall apart though lol.

The filing of the pads worries me too, if the garage doesn't file them enough and they expand when hot i'll be fucked!

To be fair change the pads and the lines and you'll feel an immediate difference.

Discs I'd go for the Brembo Max HC ones as they're what I had. Pad wise I stuck with Mintex and they never let me down, but I'm not a hardened track driver (yet!) ;)

Heard the mintex suffer from bad fade! Do braided lines make that much difference?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm hearing this, it looks the option everyone chooses. Just the CL brakes are supposed to be better, not much good if they fall apart though lol.

The filing of the pads worries me too, if the garage doesn't file them enough and they expand when hot i'll be fucked!

Heard the mintex suffer from bad fade! Do braided lines make that much difference?
mintex are shhhiiiiitttteee! I got through 50% of one of the race compounds in one day at Bedford.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Bottomeless budget and get some Wilwood 4 pots. I know Pablo went out with Mat Wills on a track day and said the Wilwoods were unreal.

If you're doing a few track days I think you can condone it.
They genuinely aren't!! I <3 the Wills, but you really can't judge Matt's car for how things hold up when going fast;).

If you're billy gung ho on the brakes, 4pots will hold up better. But if you drive smoothly, they are a pricey ornament.

MY10 R35 GTR
carbotech pads, braided lines, uprated discs. If you can afford new calipers then great.

Either way carbotech pads are wgat you want :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looked at the 4pots, probably more than I wanted to spend but an option if some came up used!

If I go for the braided/HC/2500 option is it worth going to Jamsport for the deal? Would cost me £340 for it all fitted and flushed including the petrol down there and back. Just thinking if i get a local garage to do it i could have a problem with them not filing the pads down correctly.

Evo 8 MR
DS2500s / Brembo MAX / Braided lines / 5.1 fluid / OEM rear discs and pads. Done

Don't worry about the filing, just explain to them before they do it, if they ooh and arr then just take it somewhere else, there will be somewhere local that's used to fitting aftermarket parts.

They won't fit at all if they aren't filed.

I bought everything except the fluid from NWPerformance for a very competitive price.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
DS2500s / Brembo MAX / Braided lines / 5.1 fluid / OEM rear discs and pads. Done

Don't worry about the filing, just explain to them before they do it, if they ooh and arr then just take it somewhere else, there will be somewhere local that's used to fitting aftermarket parts.

They won't fit at all if they aren't filed.

I bought everything except the fluid from NWPerformance for a very competitive price.

Just finding somewhere to fit, for whats being done £75 doesn't seem too bad to me but dont know the going rate and my local garage didn't asnwer when i rang earlier.

Evo 8 MR
Just finding somewhere to fit, for whats being done £75 doesn't seem too bad to me but dont know the going rate and my local garage didn't asnwer when i rang earlier.

That's fine if your getting the rears done too.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
carbotech pads, braided lines, uprated discs. If you can afford new calipers then great.

Either way carbotech pads are wgat you want :)

Your wasting your time they have never heard of them;)

Bit like mentioning Rs2's 18 months ago.

They like the 'sheep' option :D

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That's fine if your getting the rears done too.

Booked it in, just want it done now. Just been out in it and something is very wrong atm, i am guessing fluid...

Your wasting your time they have never heard of them;)

Bit like mentioning Rs2's 18 months ago.

They like the 'sheep' option :D

I did google them, but couldnt even find them fo sale :S

Fiesta ST3
Booked it in, just want it done now. Just been out in it and something is very wrong atm, i am guessing fluid...

Nice one mate, let us know if theres a big improvement to what they are now

thinking about this brake upgrade too, shame JAMSport arent just down the road from us!

when you booked in for?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
TBF a pad/disc change is easy. Fluid is a job any local garage can do if you aren't confident.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Brembo HC's, Ds2500's, Braided lines and Super Blue fluid is what I'd recommend.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one mate, let us know if theres a big improvement to what they are now

thinking about this brake upgrade too, shame JAMSport arent just down the road from us!

when you booked in for?

Saturday morning :)

TBF a pad/disc change is easy. Fluid is a job any local garage can do if you aren't confident.

Easier if I just get it all done at a garage tbh, eventually i'll have to learn how to do it myself but not just yet lol

Brembo HC's, Ds2500's, Braided lines and Super Blue fluid is what I'd recommend.

What I have gone for, except its ferodo fluid.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI

Between us and our distributor we only know of two pad failures. These were both Clio pads made around November when the compound had just been released. From our experience of selling them and close dealings with the distributor; there have been 100's of the RC5+ pads sold now without issue, and many of these are being used by motorsport teams in much harsher conditions.

Brownbear was unwilling to have them collected for sending back and testing so all we can conclude is that there was an issue but it cannot be assumed that it was solely the pads at fault. If customers do not make manufacturers aware of a potential problem then nothing can be done to rectify or improve. This seems to be an isolated incident so customers should not be worried about using these pads in future.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI

The best dot 4 brake fluids are the CL Brakes race fluid and Castrol SRF. The Cl Brakes fluid is the highest for a dry boiling point whereas the Castrol SRF is the highest for a wet boiling point (fully saturated) with the CL Brakes fluid not far behind

Both the standard plain Brembo discs and the grooved Brembo Max range are high carbon (HC). Personally I would stick with a plain disc as these are stronger and less prone to cracking.

The RC5+ compound does produce a lot less dust and noise than the old RC5 compound and the other pads in their range. Would be my choice pad wise but the DS2500 is a good alternative. The Mintex M1144 is perfect for road use but will usually get too hot on track and loose effectiveness.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Got to agree! Mine has all of above except for braided lines and blue fluid and brakes are superb on track. has EBC Greens on back and standard rear discs.